Design a new CAP-distinctive Uniform

Started by kd8gua, November 09, 2009, 01:20:04 AM

Stonewall

I offered an option for a distinctive field uniform here.   >:D
Serving since 1987.

Strick

Why design any thing new and approve it, they will just vote to do   away with it in 4-5 years.
[darn]atio memoriae

Smithsonia

You can go here: http://www.gievesandhawkesmilitary.com/home.html
At one Saville Row , London-- Gieves and Hawkes does bespoke (customized) uniforms. Prepare to pay thousands. BUT, they have a picture book that you can see the uniforms that they made for Mussolini before WW2, Prince Edward in the 30s and Peron in the 50s. You can get anything you want. I own a couple of their uniforms myself... they are part of my WW2 collection Air Corps Pinks and Greens.

I even own a bit of G and H for my CAP uniform. Check out the Regimental Ties.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Cecil DP

I checked out the site. 500  pounds($800) for a waistcoat!! Must be nice to be rich.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Gunner C

Let's just get rid of all uniforms in CAP.  Here's what it will do for us:

• Everyone will save money by not purchasing uniforms
  • It will free up huge amounts of time for the BOG, NEC, and BOG at meetings
  • No one will end up buying uniforms that go bad quicker than lottery tickets
  • Everyone will be uniformly ununiform

I'm sick of it.  This organization's leadership couldn't find its wallet with two hands and a flashlight. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: Gunner C on November 10, 2009, 06:50:01 AM
Let's just get rid of all uniforms in CAP.  Here's what it will do for us:

• Everyone will save money by not purchasing uniforms
  • It will free up huge amounts of time for the BOG, NEC, and BOG at meetings
  • No one will end up buying uniforms that go bad quicker than lottery tickets
  • Everyone will be uniformly ununiform

I'm sick of it.  This organization's leadership couldn't find its wallet with two hands and a flashlight.
I hope that was sarcasm.  A uniform of some sort is necessary for organizations like CAP, and fire departments and police forces and a whole host of such people.

See what happens and how far we get when some CAP pilots show up in flip-flops, an AC-DC tee shirt and a pair of shorts that were once dress blues.

What is called for here is a serious accounting of NB, NEC and CAPNHQ policy making.  I seriously think this is  form of WAKE-UP call for us all.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Cecil DP

Quote from: Gunner C on November 10, 2009, 06:50:01 AM

They've done a good job at finding mine!
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

jimmydeanno

You want a service uniform, specific to CAP, that is tied into our military association and shows a relationship with the AF, isn't used by any service currently and wouldn't be confused with a real military officer?

Here you go:

Change the undershirt to white.
CAP insignia on the lapel.

Single breasted coat looks way better than double-breasted in larger sizes, as well as looks good on people with smaller frames.

Single breasted coat looks good on females.

Color matches USAF uniforms in style and feel, but the sleeve braids to denote grade remove the AF lookalike concept, especially with the CAP insignia.

No service coat nametag to save cost and increase formality of uniform.

On the white undershirt, epaulet sleeves change to blue w/ "CAP" embroidered on.
Blue two-line nameplate on white shirt: "Civil Air Patrol" and "Last Name"

For formal wear, use the AF enlisted style mess dress with sleeve braids like service coat. 

There, was that hard?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Strick

That would be a good idea to be distinctive enough..........  I think when it is all said and done we wil be wearing just polos and shorts and we will most likely change our name to the LIBERAL AIR PATROL  >:D
[darn]atio memoriae

Smithsonia

JimmyDeanno;
I was thinking the same thing last night. The MacPeak looked too Airline for the Air Force to like it much. For CAP - Airline is fine. It also has a little military, civil authority (police and fire), and Air Force style cues going for it. The silver braid is too much but then MacPeak was a 3 star and he would have a lot more braid on his than I would on mine. The MacPeak is a good idea.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

bosshawk

Guner C: I like your proposal, except that I would add one more bullet.  It would free up countless hours of CAPtalk posting and a whole lot of computer space if nobody has a time or place to argue about CAP uniforms.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Hawk200

Quote from: Smithsonia on November 10, 2009, 05:35:30 PM.... but then MacPeak was a 3 star and he would have a lot more braid on his than I would on mine.

Uh, pardon me, but McPeak was a what?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrill_A._McPeak

I think we need to be including a little more history on the Air Force, too.

As an aside, CAP is already making some of the same mistakes the Air Force did on it's uniforms.

Strick

For the love of GOD................I have had enough ith CAP uniforms.........I am wearing my superman tee-shirt to the   squadron  instead of the green bag ;D ;D
[darn]atio memoriae

FW

Quote from: Major Carrales on November 10, 2009, 09:00:16 AM
What is called for here is a serious accounting of NB, NEC and CAPNHQ policy making.  I seriously think this is  form of WAKE-UP call for us all.

Yeah, like that is going to happen. >:D

When our senior leadership has decided self importance trumps self respect and, ethics and core values are just empty words, it should be more than a wake up call. 

In the next few days, we're going to get more information about what went on during the closed sessions.  My sources tell me some things were decided which may prove more embarassing than this uniform issue. 

In my over 30 years as an active member; I can't remember a time when I've been so disapointed in our leadership.  I can only hope they will get a "slap in the face", come to their collective senses and get us back on track.

Strick

let me guess, we are going to start doing clean up on highways and park cars at sporting events
[darn]atio memoriae

Cecil DP

Quote from: Smithsonia on November 10, 2009, 05:35:30 PM

The silver braid is too much but then MacPeak was a 3 star and he would have a lot more braid on his than I would on mine. The MacPeak is a good idea.

Wide  2 inch ring equals 1 Star, each successive 1 inch ring  equals one additional star= 4 stars
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

jimmydeanno

Possibility of what it could look like. 

The grey stripes would be silver, with a bit of texture and dimension with a thin stitching that made two offset bands around each stripe.

The CAP Circle, Prop and Triangle would be two tone silver bullion looking to match the bands.  Yet another differentiator to the jacket/look.

In all honesty, I think that it could be a really good looking uniform that everyone could wear without requiring too much expense on the already existing members.

When you think about it...

Those who wear the AF style uniforms would only need to:
a) buy a white aviator shirt.
b) remove the epaulets from their service coats.
c) have the bands sewn on.

Those who have the CSU would
a) buy the new service coat
b) have the bands sewn on

Those who have the grey and white, well, they'd have the most expense, but if the goal is a uniform that everyone is in and has the same rules applied in terms of awards and decorations wear, etc - this could be it.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SilverEagle2

^^^ I just threw up in my mouth a little. Too hard to change when promoted. Looks too much like the Navy. I vote no.

My vote is put the CAP cutouts on the current service coat with the current gray slides but the CSU metal name plate with a uniform white aviator shirt.

Distinctive enough for the AF, since the only thing AF related is the buttons, heck, change those to prop and triangle and let everyone wear it.

Uniform, easy to convert to, and looks good next to the cadets.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Major Lord

How about a CAP distinctive Ghillie Suit, assembled entirely of Post-It notes, so that we can hide in our offices from crazy paper-pushers trying to inflict new uniforms on the membership?
Just a thought.....

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Strick

[darn]atio memoriae