Main Menu

ABUs

Started by lordmonar, May 05, 2016, 12:23:38 AM

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on May 05, 2016, 01:51:29 AM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 05, 2016, 01:36:35 AM
Wasn't it you that said 95% of the membership will be in ABUs by the end of week one?

Facetiously, probably.  But the fact remains that less then 1/2 of the adult members can wear this uniform,
though the lack of Big and tall sizes (at least today) will be more of a limiting factor then a scale.

See, you say that, but my experience is opposite. Of those members that I see in a field uniform, I'm in the far, far minority with my BBDUs.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 05, 2016, 02:30:07 AM
Wasn't it you that said 95% of the membership will be in ABUs by the end of week one?

Facetiously, probably.  But the fact remains that less then 1/2 of the adult members can wear this uniform,
though the lack of Big and tall sizes (at least today) will be more of a limiting factor then a scale.

See, you say that, but my experience is opposite. Of those members that I see in a field uniform, I'm in the far, far minority with my BBDUs.

And some of those should be in BBDUs, and the rest stick to the polo, thus don't do field work.

Eclipse

I don't doubt that, but it doesn't mean they are actually allowed to wear the camo.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on May 05, 2016, 02:47:43 AM

I don't doubt that, but it doesn't mean they are actually allowed to wear the camo.

And here I was, hoping approval won't come for another 3-4 months, so that I could actually be in H&W...

ProdigalJim

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 05, 2016, 02:50:33 AM
And here I was, hoping approval won't come for another 3-4 months, so that I could actually be in H&W...

Don't worry. Even though Vanguard is supposed to start "accepting" orders for the new tapes, etc., on 15 June, it will probably take them another 3-4 months to produce tapes of equal dimensions, correct thread, etc.  >:D

Kinda wish this would have been a moment to break the Big V monopoly...
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/XP
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

NC Hokie

Just sent an email to all of my cadet parents to head off the RUMINT that is sure to be headed their way.  I told them to sit tight until the details on the agreement with AAFES are worked out and that the phase in period is longer than most cadet careers.

The cadet meeting tomorrow night ought to be fun!
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Mustang

Quote from: Eclipse on May 05, 2016, 12:29:39 AMOur long national nightmare is over.
I'd say it's about to begin, for reasons others have mentioned.  And also because this approval undoubtedly means that Big Blue will soon abandon the ABU in favor of the OCP/Multicam--which means that the whining that we're not in the same uniform as the AF will cease only for a short while.

Quote from: supertigerCH on May 05, 2016, 01:40:02 AM
This is the most professional and sharp looking field-type uniform that you have approved/issued for many years. 
Really? Is that why everyone in the USAF hates them?
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

PHall

Quote from: Mustang on May 05, 2016, 03:20:54 AM

Quote from: Eclipse on May 05, 2016, 12:29:39 AMOur long national nightmare is over.
I'd say it's about to begin, for reasons others have mentioned.  And also because this approval undoubtedly means that Big Blue will soon abandon the ABU in favor of the ODU/Multicam--which means that the whining that we're not in the same uniform as the AF will cease only for a short while.

This is the most professional and sharp looking field-type uniform that you have approved/issued for many years. 
Really? Is that why everyone in the USAF hates them?

The rip stop version, aka RABU, seems to be fairly well liked. Much, much lighter material.

Holding Pattern

[/size]
Quote from: Eclipse on May 05, 2016, 12:29:39 AM[size=]Our long national nightmare is over.[/size]
I'd say it's about to begin, for reasons others have mentioned.  And also because this approval undoubtedly means that Big Blue will soon abandon the ABU in favor of the ODU/Multicam--which means that the whining that we're not in the same uniform as the AF will cease only for a short while.

[/size]
Really? Is that why everyone in the USAF hates them?[/size]

Because it is the sacred right of a soldier to complain.

NIN

The commander has issued the instructions.

Now lets see how many people salute and execute.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

arajca

Where is that letter posted on National?

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: arajca on May 05, 2016, 03:34:41 AM
Where is that letter posted on National?

Doesn't appear to be. Probably tomorrow.

goblin

Now what are we going to complain about?!

;)

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: goblin on May 05, 2016, 03:50:40 AM
Now what are we going to complain about?!

;)

Black boots. Tan shirts. Lack of berets (Facebook crying already in progress).

abdsp51

I'd say it's about to begin, for reasons others have mentioned.  And also because this approval undoubtedly means that Big Blue will soon abandon the ABU in favor of the OCP/Multicam--which means that the whining that we're not in the same uniform as the AF will cease only for a short while.

AF is not transitioning any time soon to anything else.  Please cite your source?

LSThiker

Quote from: JeffDG on May 05, 2016, 02:05:06 AM
Yep, all the funny hats are banned

Well not until 2021 that is.  Cadets can still wear the beret and other funny hates with the BDUs and seniors can still wear the beret with either the BDUs or BBDUs :)

Quote from: ProdigalJim on May 05, 2016, 01:52:53 AM
So I saw that the Commander's insignia, which was made mandatory, is now non-mandatory again. Wonder if that was on purpose?

For ABUs at least it is non-mandatory.  Still mandatory for the AF-style service dress and BDUs.  Nevertheless, I wonder why it is non-mandatory for the ABUs, while the USAF still mandates its commander's pin for the ABUs. 

TheTravelingAirman

Subtitle F, Section 352 of the 2014 NDAA contains language pointing to a requirement for all services to:

"
eliminate the development and fielding of Armed Force-specific combat and camouflage utility uniforms and families of uniforms in order to adopt and field a common combat and camouflage utility uniform or family of uniforms for specific combat environments to be used by all members of the Armed Forces."
However, further down, under exceptions;

Exceptions.--Nothing in subsection (b) shall be construed as--
[...]
(6) prohibiting the continued fielding or use of pre-existing service-specific or operation-specific combat uniforms as long as the uniforms continue to meet operational
requirements.

If one doesn't read the whole thing, one gets an image that we will all be in the same uniform soon. Realistically, all it's said is that on the day the 2014 NDAA went active,
no new uniforms could be developed unless it was a joint venture for all services, and no uniforms could be fielded unless they were already in use by another Service,
or were the product of said joint venture.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/3304/text

This ultimately means that the ABU may continue in production for a number of years, but can only be replaced by the Scorpion/Multicam OCPs, either MARPAT pattern,
or the Navy adaptations of MARPAT. A lot of us will dream for the Multicam for years. It's definitely a better match in many peoples opinions.

SarDragon

Uniforms (if worn) are an important part of an organization's public image.

Agreed, CAP doesn't have one.  It now has 4.  And by the time this phase-in period is over, the USAF will have long
said goodbye to the ABU and moved on to "next", whatever that entails.

Bob, change is inevitable. I've been watching it happen since 1964 in CAP. I've worn well over a dozen different uniform combinations over the years, and I don't think I've EVER seen a time when we weren't in some sort of uniform transition period. If you expect that to be different, you must be smokin' something good.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

I get it - but change for change's sake wastes initiative and resources.

It's postured that the uniform is part of the brand and the image is important, and
then the image is diluted, to no one's benefit, for an extended period of time.

Where is the uniformity when one cadet in ranks is in a completely different uniform?

What is the brand image that lines up 4 senior members in different color combos,
all who are 100% correct?

How is this Efficient or Effective?

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

If it hurts your sensibilities that one cadet is not in the same uniform....solve THAT problem.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP