Main Menu

New 39-1

Started by alexalvarez, October 24, 2013, 01:06:18 AM

SarDragon

In order to do that, they need to stop messing with the uniform.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: PHall on October 25, 2013, 12:54:01 AM
Quote from: NIN on October 24, 2013, 09:49:28 PM
I tend to agree with Bob: Our regulations and other pubs need to be more dynamic, less monolithic.

Waiting 7 years for a legitimately updated uniform manual is silly.. And handing someone the uniform manual and 5 pages of ICLs (not "page insert changes") is just... silly too!

The Air Force went 7 years before updating their uniform manual.

We're just doing what Big Blue taught us to do! >:D
Back in the 35-10 days it was longer then that!  Heck the BDU's were NEVER in 35-10..let alone the Air Crew Style Name Tapes, and the switch back...we got a how new AFI system first!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Devil Doc

Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

a2capt

38ffems

Surprised no one has brought up the fact that the new 39-1 was mentioned in the message from National Commander.

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Panache

Quote from: 38ffems on December 03, 2013, 02:05:51 AM
Surprised no one has brought up the fact that the new 39-1 was mentioned in the message from National Commander.

Still waiting for the CAPTalk servers to catch on fire.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: alexalvarez on October 24, 2013, 01:06:18 AM
I have been gone from this site for some time. Does anyone know if there will be a new 39-1 anytime soon? Thank you in advance and God Bless.

Chaplain, a bit of divine intervention on the matter wouldn't go amiss.

Until then, this is the best date I can give you:

Johnny Mathis - 12th of Never
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

RiverAux

When you hear that a new 39-1 is coming soon enough times you don't get very excited about hearing it again. 

Papabird

Quote from: RiverAux on December 03, 2013, 01:00:18 PM
When you hear that a new 39-1 is coming soon enough times you don't get very excited about hearing it again.

MG Carr stated that "professional pictures" still need to be taken.  So given that this message may have been written before the long weekend, that is still not a lot of time to get that done to meet his own goal of out by the end of the year.

Still, I don't want my skin color to match CAP ultramarine blue, so I won't hold my breath.   :P
Michael Willis, Lt. Col CAP
Georgia Wing

NIN

I have it on pretty good authority that the draft was going to be published yesterday until it was decided that without the photos being complete it would be a moot point.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Papabird

Quote from: NIN on December 03, 2013, 05:47:31 PM
I have it on pretty good authority that the draft was going to be published yesterday until it was decided that without the photos being complete it would be a moot point.

:clap: I will wait for that.  LOL
Michael Willis, Lt. Col CAP
Georgia Wing

a2capt

It ABsolUtely would have not been a moot point.

.. it's a -DRAFT-

Or so they claim .. it was to be able in draft first.

Oh well.

arajca

Quote from: NIN on December 03, 2013, 05:47:31 PM

How long does it take to get the photos? I'm sure if they sent pointed requests to a few units say we need a cadet/senior in ****** uniform done according to <this> standard and the photo must have a plain white/grey/pink/whatever color background and be #Mpixel, you'd have them in a week.

Eclipse

And why use people?  All the examples should be on mannequins to avoid personalities and odd facial expressions, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Quote from: Eclipse on December 03, 2013, 06:48:20 PMAnd why use people?  All the examples should be on mannequins to avoid personalities and odd facial expressions, etc.
.. like the smiley guy in the current one?
Quote from: arajca on December 03, 2013, 06:35:50 PMHow long does it take to get the photos?
If the manual has revisions, as it's purported to .. it's very likely that those drafting it are probably the only ones that may have the needed items to make some of these uniform photos. At least, making them in the -intended- mannor.

Ned

And now we can safely conclude that the "most thankless job" in CAP is going to be creating the photographs to illustrate the new manual.  And finding the "most thankless job" in CAP is actually a pretty tough competition.

The preparation for the photos is daunting, regardless of whether we use models or mannequins.  The photographer has to have ready access to all the possible uniform combinations and most of the badges and insignia, and far more importantly, the detailed knowledge of a uniform wonk to get every detail perfectly.  We can be sure that each of dozens of detailed photographs will be minutely examined by experts with magnifying glasses looking for every possible error.

If the photography team gets every single detail right, we will just accept it as normal job performance.  But get just one detail wrong out of 30 or 40 possible minute details in a typical photo, CAPTalk will go wild . . . .

When I make a typo in a regulation or pamphlet, it is an easy fix.  Re-shooting a photograph because of a ribbon out of sequence will take far more time and effort.

We collectively owe the photography team a drink (or two) for just undertaking  the "most thankless job in CAP."

;)

jeders

Quote from: Ned on December 03, 2013, 07:06:00 PM
We collectively owe the photography team a drink (or two) for just undertaking  the "most thankless job in CAP."

;)

Absolutely.

But, why not just release the draft publication with empty boxes of place of the photos and then release the photos as a separate item a week or two later? Gives the membership time to digest the new uniform issues and find typos in the manual while giving the photo team a little more time to get everything perfect. Just a thought.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Eclipse on December 03, 2013, 06:48:20 PMAnd why use people?  All the examples should be on mannequins to avoid personalities and odd facial expressions, etc.

The Air Force used real people, but cropped their heads for the uniform photographs on its most recent revision of AFI 36-2903. It think the pictures look just fine.