Main Menu

ABU's???

Started by CAPCAPT41, May 24, 2011, 10:25:21 PM

PHall

Quote from: C/Caldwell on July 05, 2011, 02:11:48 AM
Well, I'm too lazy to look through all of the comments, so I'm going to post what I heard DIRECTLY from Maj General Amy Courter!

A cadet addressed this question to her during an open forum at the Colorado Wing Conferance this year. Her response was that you can expect to see some "Progress" in two years. This is an action item that she brings to the USAF EVERY two months (just the request to look into it) and they (USAF) has not given any definative responses yet as to whether or not we ever will switch.

There you have it, from the top.

The Air Force told us over three years ago that CAP would eventually go to the ABU.
They said it would be after the AF has completed their transition (Sept 30, 2011) and when the supply issues were cleared up (they are).
Now we just have to decide what insignia to wear to comply with AFI 10-2701 and get the final approval from HQAF.

RiverAux

Now the AF is starting to put in the light-weight version of the ABU.

Zen Master Charlie

Quote from: PHall on July 05, 2011, 03:17:58 AM
Quote from: C/Caldwell on July 05, 2011, 02:11:48 AM
Well, I'm too lazy to look through all of the comments, so I'm going to post what I heard DIRECTLY from Maj General Amy Courter!

A cadet addressed this question to her during an open forum at the Colorado Wing Conferance this year. Her response was that you can expect to see some "Progress" in two years. This is an action item that she brings to the USAF EVERY two months (just the request to look into it) and they (USAF) has not given any definative responses yet as to whether or not we ever will switch.

There you have it, from the top.

The Air Force told us over three years ago that CAP would eventually go to the ABU.
They said it would be after the AF has completed their transition (Sept 30, 2011) and when the supply issues were cleared up (they are).
Now we just have to decide what insignia to wear to comply with AFI 10-2701 and get the final approval from HQAF.

I'm just telling you what the National commander said. She said the Air Force hasen't even looked into it yet. She said every two months she calls someone from the Air Force, and requests them to 'Look into it' which they have yet to do. I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just saying, thats what the General at the top of the debate said.
"A lot of life is a lot of crap"

BrianH76

Quote from: Ned on May 25, 2011, 08:47:53 PM
But no huge paradigm shifts are currently on the table.

Thank goodness.  Ned, put me down as one vote for leaving things the way they are.

titanII

Quote from: BrianH76 on July 13, 2011, 12:57:09 PM
Quote from: Ned on May 25, 2011, 08:47:53 PM
But no huge paradigm shifts are currently on the table.

Thank goodness.  Ned, put me down as one vote for leaving things the way they are.
You can put me on the same list.
No longer active on CAP talk

Sapper168

Since the Air Force wont be going back to the woodland bdu, they should authorize it for everyone in CAP and leave it at that, no abu's or multi-camo-digi-stripe-flavor-of-the-month or whatever the next uniform will be.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

lordmonar

If they USAF has given up on the woodland BDU's....we don't need their permission to us it.  ;D

Having said that.....if we are not going to go to the ABU.....we need to go to something else.  BBDU, Gray BDU, Orange BDU....something.  Woodland as an ES uniform is stupid.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

afgeo4

Multicam?  I kid! I kid!

Why not just switch over to the blue BDU? It's already all worked out and we could simply switch the name tapes to white on navy blue and be done with it. The uniform's already in production, easy to purchase and available to all. It looks sharp as long as it's properly maintained (just like any other uniform) and it does the job just fine. Most of all, it's easily affordable to most members and easy to switch over to.
GEORGE LURYE

titanII

Quote from: afgeo4 on July 14, 2011, 07:08:10 PM
Why not just switch over to the blue BDU? It's already all worked out and we could simply switch the name tapes to white on navy blue and be done with it. The uniform's already in production, easy to purchase and available to all. It looks sharp as long as it's properly maintained (just like any other uniform) and it does the job just fine. Most of all, it's easily affordable to most members and easy to switch over to.
I agree for the most part- it's still a military style uniform, and a bit more reasonable for ES. The one problem I have with this system is blue BDU's are less accessible or affordable as woodland camo BDU's. People can buy used/surplus woodland camo BDU's at surplus/army navy stores; often at fairly cheap prices. The only place I've found blue BDU's is on the internet, and they were a good bit more expensive than the woodland BDU's at my local army navy store. Too bad..

MHC5096

There are actually a huge number of vendors who stock and sell blue BDU-style utility uniforms. They are a standard in the law enforcement and security community.
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

afgeo4

Quote from: titanII on July 14, 2011, 07:33:55 PM
Quote from: afgeo4 on July 14, 2011, 07:08:10 PM
I agree for the most part- it's still a military style uniform, and a bit more reasonable for ES. The one problem I have with this system is blue BDU's are less accessible or affordable as woodland camo BDU's. People can buy used/surplus woodland camo BDU's at surplus/army navy stores; often at fairly cheap prices. The only place I've found blue BDU's is on the internet, and they were a good bit more expensive than the woodland BDU's at my local army navy store. Too bad..
Well, you may hate me for this, but there are a few sources:
1. Vanguard
2. Just about every Army/Navy store online and retail.

What's hard is to find ones that meet military specs. However, we don't really need that, do we? We don't subject our uniforms to such stresses as the active duty military.
GEORGE LURYE

arajca

You can also try police uniform shops.

titanII

What I was trying to say was BBDU's were difficult to find off the internet. Not all people like to shop online (silly, I know  ::)). And I don't know of any police uniform shop near me, and there is only 1 Army Navy store within a reasonable distance of me. But then again I'm not everyone.

That being said, I would definitely prefer to keep things as are. (Less work! ;D) But if things were to change, I'd be pulling for BBDU's.

afgeo4

Quote from: titanII on July 15, 2011, 12:02:05 AM
What I was trying to say was BBDU's were difficult to find off the internet. Not all people like to shop online (silly, I know  ::)). And I don't know of any police uniform shop near me, and there is only 1 Army Navy store within a reasonable distance of me. But then again I'm not everyone.

That being said, I would definitely prefer to keep things as are. (Less work! ;D) But if things were to change, I'd be pulling for BBDU's.
So that being said, where would you have purchased a BDU uniform?
GEORGE LURYE

titanII

Quote from: afgeo4 on July 16, 2011, 02:33:35 AM
Quote from: titanII on July 15, 2011, 12:02:05 AM

So that being said, where would you have purchased a BDU uniform?
You, sir, have just pointed out the flaw in my argument. Well done, i really had not realized that.  However, submitting to the "not as accessible" argument will lead us to say that everyoje should just wear no uniform at all, wear whatever clothes you have.
As to your question, I got one set of BDU's "issued" to me from my squadron, some pants from my former Army relative, and a shirt from an army surplus store.
I'm officially "out" of this argument now, by the way. Carry on. ;)

Stonewall

Just wrapping up a deployment where I haven't worn ABUs in over 6 months and now having to wear them again for the ride home, my stance on ABUs still stands firm...they suck!

Hot, heavy, and with all the stupid pen pockets, I still put my pen where I've always put it for 17 years now, hidden behind the center button flap.

ABS-Gs are the way to go.  Comfortable, lightweight, fire resistant and most of all, FULLY FUNCTIONAL!  Only drawback is the silly tigerstripe pattern and grey/green color scheme.  ABS-Gs in multicam?  Now that's a win win for all involved.
Serving since 1987.

titanII

afgeo4

Quote from: titanII on July 16, 2011, 12:17:24 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on July 16, 2011, 06:17:14 AM
ABS-Gs are the way to go.
For USAF or CAP?
I'm sure he meant for USAF. It's very expensive and there's no real need for it in CAP. We don't wear body armor.
GEORGE LURYE

RADIOMAN015

I think much of this discussion really gets down to individual members costs for these uniforms.   I for one am not for changing anything for many years because of the cost involved in change over.  I think there's plenty of BDU sources available. 

Remember that if you go to ABU's from BDU's you are going to have to change your hat and also jacket, as well as get all those patches/name tags etc sewed on the new uniform.  It is VERY UNLIKELY that the USAF will allow subdued/color matching insignias like the AF is using since it would NOT differentiate CAP members in that uniform.

As far as Blue BDU's go, that  also can be an expensive change over IF one gets the jacket, hat, etc to match. Again I think the organization needs to decide first IF they want everyone to wear a single field uniforms that is VERY distinct and says very clearly we are the CIVIL AIR PATROL  ..  I would assume that the uniform working group is working these type of issues right now OR may have elected to not make any changes.

Personally, performing the assigned missions satisfactorily are more important to me than ANY uniform.
RM 

davidsinn

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on July 16, 2011, 05:28:43 PM
Personally, performing the assigned missions satisfactorily are more important to me than ANY uniform.

Then why are you always harping on the AF style uniform and demeaning those who wear it?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn