Main Menu

ABU's???

Started by CAPCAPT41, May 24, 2011, 10:25:21 PM

davidsinn

Quote from: lordmonar on June 04, 2011, 04:23:50 PM
They are wash and wear.   Take them out of the dryer, hang them up and they are good to go.

So are BDUs. I haven't ironed mine in months.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Allen

what do ABU's look like and who uses them? ???
in the words of my squadron commander Major Frank E Merrill "He who sweats learns quickly" :)
C/SrA Dawnyale Allen
GLR-IN-802

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Allen on June 04, 2011, 05:04:28 PM
what do ABU's look like and who uses them? ???

Go back to page 1 and start reading from there.

Allen

oh i c.....i prefer BDU's i like them alot better
in the words of my squadron commander Major Frank E Merrill "He who sweats learns quickly" :)
C/SrA Dawnyale Allen
GLR-IN-802

Smokey

BTW...The reason we have ulatramarine blue (ugh) is because when we were closer to the Air Force (instead of the way we are now) the Air Force greens (pre BDU) had ultramarine tapes (take a look at Viet Nam era AF uniforms).  The AF had no grief with us having uniforms close to theirs.  The blues had dark blue slides, we had blue nameplates. 

So what went wrong.....
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

lordmonar

I don't think anything has gone wrong....I just think that other issues had priority over what color our name tapes were.

I don't think we are farther away from the USAF then before.....I think it is just might seem that way.  The biggest reason why we don't have closer ties to the everyday USAF is because the USAF has lost a lot of money and manpower over the last 20 years....and they just can't support us the way they used to do.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Allen

for clearfication are you allowed 2 wear anyother coloredd shirt with you bdu's other than black
C/SrA Dawnyale Allen
GLR-IN-802

davidsinn

Quote from: Allen on June 04, 2011, 10:39:57 PM
for clearfication are you allowed 2 wear anyother coloredd shirt with you bdu's other than black

BDU brown. Not the ones you can buy at Atterbury. They only sell ACU tan ones now. Stick with black. It's cheaper and looks better.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

abdsp51

The ABU's are far more wash and wear than what the BDU's were. The only thing I care about them are the green boots which are ick and a waste of money.  And so far my ABU's have held up alot longer than my BDU's despite the many washes. 

titanII

Quote from: lordmonar on June 04, 2011, 04:23:50 PM
In a general wear context....the ABUs are far superior to the BDUs.

They are wash and wear.   Take them out of the dryer, hang them up and they are good to go.

CAP follow the USAF's lead and just go with name tape, CAP tape and up to two badges.....and we will have a nice uniform....even if we have to keep the while on ultramarine blue color scheme.
As far as maintenance, I do agree that the wash & wear ABU's and the no-shine boots are superior. But that's not wearing them-that's maintaining them. The ABU's are heavier (hotter) than the BDU, and you can't roll the sleeves up. They also lack some of the improvements that the ACU's made (velcro, tilted pockets)
No longer active on CAP talk

abdsp51

Titan you can roll the sleeves up I have and plenty of folks AF wide have as well.  You just have to remove anything in the pen pocket first.  They can be a hotter than the BDU but if you are hydrated that's not an issue.  As with anything it can be improved.

titanII

Quote from: abdsp51 on June 05, 2011, 03:10:35 PM
Titan you can roll the sleeves up I have and plenty of folks AF wide have as well.
well now I look like a fool  lol :P.  But the improvements.. cost money, and us all getting new utility uniforms... costs money. I think that we look close enough to the Air Force- we're in one their most recent utilty uniforms, but we're also distinctive- not in their current utility uniform, different patches, tapes, insignia, etc.  I think that we get by just fine in our current uniform combos. Most of our uniforms- BDU, service dress, etc. are very similar to Air Force Uniforms, but with defining differences.
No longer active on CAP talk

Eclipse

Quote from: titanII on June 05, 2011, 03:41:09 PMwell now I look like a fool  lol :P.  But the improvements.. cost money, and us all getting new utility uniforms... costs money.

All uniforms cost money.

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

The problem here, which I've heard happens all of the services, is that certain people want a new uniform because they want the newest thing, while others want to show their age and experience with the old uniform. It is a problem that will always exsist.

Eclipse

Old uniforms show a lot of things, age and experience is neither of them.

Anyone under that misconception is only kidding themselves.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Littleguy which is why there are mandatory wear dates and phase out dates.  Having worn the ABU, DCU, and BDU there are some pros and cons to all of them.  In the desert there is no real advantage in either uniform when it comes to heat and humidity.  I liked the BDU because it was easy to shop for, I could get any number or boots in black.  The ABU makes it a lil more difficult especially come Nov when all that can be worn is green boots.  Now I have heard that the AF is going to be implementing a lighter weight ABU for all AFSCs not just firefighters.  Honestly I prefer the ABU over the BDU as it is wash and wear I have more pockets avalible for some things that I didnt have with the BDU. 

Persona non grata

Besides the cool factor we need to look at

Availability
Practicality
Cost
If the USAF could provide free sets to all and replace when needed I would say go for it.  I wish we could use the 5.11 TDU witch is similar to the ACU in regards to cut wear and wash. ;).

By the way they are still producing the wood land BDU ::)
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

abdsp51

USAF quit funding ABUS for deployments.  You'll now get them in basic and what you come out of pocket for.

ol'fido

With the weather the way it's been around here the last few days, I would go for sandals, navy blue jam shorts, and a bright yellow Hawaiian shirt with Prop-and-Triangles all over it. 8)
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: ol'fido on June 05, 2011, 10:13:57 PM
With the weather the way it's been around here the last few days, I would go for sandals, navy blue jam shorts, and a bright yellow Hawaiian shirt with Prop-and-Triangles all over it. 8)
That's standard attire here on Kwajalein. (T-shirts or aloha shirts (ain't no such thing as a Hawaiian shirt - that's what malihini - tourists - call it), board shorts and 'slippahs'!)The only time you see people wearing long pants and sweaters/jackets is because they work in one of the computer rooms, which are kept always cold. Top it off with a ball cap and/or shades, and you're good to go!  ;D
We don't call it 'Kwajalein BDUs' (Beach Dress Utilities) for nothin'!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040