Main Menu

ABU's???

Started by CAPCAPT41, May 24, 2011, 10:25:21 PM

CAPCAPT41

I have been hearing rumors all over the place about Civil Air Patrol phasing out of BDU's and going to ABU's. Has anyone heard anything about it? if so, is it true or not?? I'm really curious.

HGjunkie

It's a rumor. There has been numerous "Dates" proposed that I've heard of, none of them have happened though. I wouldn't expect to make the switch anytime soon.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

CAPCAPT41

Thats what I had figured. It works for me though cause I don't like the way the ABUs look. haha

sneakers

Last I heard, the rumor was roughly 5 years from now CAP would be phasing into them.

Eclipse

In 5 years no one will be wearing ABUs.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

The standard rumor date I heard was 2012... and that was in 2007.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

AngelWings

The USAF requirement for all servicemembers to be in ABU's is Novemberish/ End of Third Fiscal Quarter. After that date, it'll take a minimum of a year to start an offical phase-in of ABU's, but that is in a best of case situation.

anonymous former c/col

This comment shouldn't raise a stink.  Maybe I should attach some kinda warning, disclaimer, or somethin':

Anyone else wonder why the AF picked tiger-stripe?

On a positive note, I like the rough-side-out boots everyone is going to. 

PHall

Quote from: Littleguy on May 25, 2011, 02:08:43 AM
The USAF requirement for all servicemembers to be in ABU's is Novemberish/ End of Third Fiscal Quarter. After that date, it'll take a minimum of a year to start an offical phase-in of ABU's, but that is in a best of case situation.

The USAF requirement is September 30, 2011.  The AF has said in the past that when they have all of their people in the ABU that CAP would then be allowed to wear it.
From what I have heard/seen, the only stumbling block right now is how "our" insignia will differ from the USAF.
We still have to figure out what we want and then we have to get it approved by the AF.
But the AF has said in the past that they want us in the ABU.

PHall

Quote from: anonymous former c/col on May 25, 2011, 02:36:50 AM
This comment shouldn't raise a stink.  Maybe I should attach some kinda warning, disclaimer, or somethin':

Anyone else wonder why the AF picked tiger-stripe?
On a positive note, I like the rough-side-out boots everyone is going to.

Because the Chief of Staff liked Tiger Stripe. Next question.

davidsinn

I don't particularly care when we get them, I just hope we have a nice long phase in. Say five years?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Abdomina

I want it imediatly, as i love ABUs

NM SAR

seems to me that we'd be better off going entirely to Blue BDUs; ABUs are more expensive, and come with the added cost of a new pair of vomit-green boots.

SARDOC

Quote from: NM SAR on May 25, 2011, 01:14:29 PM
seems to me that we'd be better off going entirely to Blue BDUs; ABUs are more expensive, and come with the added cost of a new pair of vomit-green boots.

Agreed.

Abdomina

One reason that cadets join is becuase of our uniforms and they look like the military, if i was a new cadet i wouldnt want to wear BBDUs

MSG Mac

The same thing happened when we transistioned from green fatigues/utility uniforms to BDU's Everybody was in the new uniform before the ink was dry on the announcement.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

davidsinn

Quote from: Abdomina on May 25, 2011, 03:48:55 AM

That's the nice thing about phase in periods. You can have it the day it goes into effect but I can continue to issue BDUs to my cadets until we run out and they wear out.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Major Carrales

Quote from: davidsinn on May 25, 2011, 03:00:36 PM
Quote from: Abdomina on May 25, 2011, 03:48:55 AM

That's the nice thing about phase in periods. You can have it the day it goes into effect but I can continue to issue BDUs to my cadets until we run out and they wear out.

I like that as well. 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

BillB

ABUs are more expensive, and come with the added cost of a new pair of vomit-green boots.

Where does it say that CAP when switching to ABU has to wear the green boots? Some USAF duty positions are authorized black leather boots. There is no reason that CAP couldn't request to continue to wear black boots. Besides it would make the CAP uniform more distinctive.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: BillB on May 25, 2011, 03:38:34 PM
ABUs are more expensive, and come with the added cost of a new pair of vomit-green boots.

Where does it say that CAP when switching to ABU has to wear the green boots? Some USAF duty positions are authorized black leather boots. There is no reason that CAP couldn't request to continue to wear black boots. Besides it would make the CAP uniform more distinctive.
Oh, please God no. I have seen that, and it is hideous. I would rather the tan boots for distinctiveness. It allows for a distinctive appearance and gives the same sort of boot that is field friendly, and the smooth leather boot while water proof (if polished properly) is not very field friendly as the tiniest thing scratches them.