Squadron Level Exercise advice...

Started by rwcap, February 28, 2014, 04:51:57 PM

rwcap

I was wondering if any squadrons out there conduct integrated exercises that combine elements of aircrew, ground crew, and IC.  We have a lot of seniors interested in ES / IC / Radio, a pilot that just joined and wants to start training, some seniors that cannot seem to get the one or two things left on their SQTR's done, and a lot of cadets that are tired of just working "security" at Wing Level Exercises.

We are also kind of a unique squadron in ORWG in that we have our own building, CAP radio equipment, and a C182 (when it isn't in maintenance).  A couple of us seniors started kicking around the idea of an exercise (or two) in the summer that focuses exclusively on our people and gets the cadets more involved.  The final proposal takes the form of cadets and seniors (including aircrew) going to a public camp site, spending a weekend learning survival tactics and ground team skills, and acting as visual and electronic targets for aircrews sent out to find them.

We have NESA trained aircrew (though, inexperienced) and one experienced ground team member.  So, we would be inviting a lot of the experienced members from around the Wing to observe and train...especially in the ways of IC and mission base staff.

I really want a fun event that involves the entire squadron, focuses ES training during the year, and makes us less reliant on NESA and Wing Level Exercises.

If anyone has done something on this scale...  How did it go?  What challenges did you face?  What advice do you have?  Did it help?

Eclipse

My wing encourages doing that, and there should be plenty of money.

Your biggest challenge will be getting experienced people at the more important ICS positions
and in krafting a good plan that doesn't waste time.

Think small / stay small the first few go-rounds.  A good / interesting / fun day getting things people need done accomplished is
a lot better then a grand plan that fails to do 1/2 its objectives.

"That Others May Zoom"

rwcap

OK, good to know this is not an unprecedented thing.

And, totally agreed, it comes down to instructors and a plan.  I see this exercise as the culmination of six to eight months of classes and preparation.  Right now, we are kind of scatter shot; we might pick a random topic here and there to talk about during meetings.  I see this starting with a snapshot of where people are and what they need, building scenarios around that, decided what classes need to be taught, and then scheduling instruction.

Fortunately, we have plenty of seasoned folks in the Wing that, given enough notice, are always happy to help out.