National Cadet Special Activities

Started by Cmdbuddy, February 25, 2005, 11:53:02 PM

Cmdbuddy

OK so here's a place for you to post which National Activities you have been to, and say some cool things about them.  I'll start:

International Air Cadet Exchange- Australia (2004): By far the best two weeks of my life.  The friendships you make on this trip is one of the best parts of the trip.  We got to tour Royal Australian Air Force Bases, go to the Gold Coast, go to the Australian Zoo, spend time with a host family, go on a river cruise up the Brisbane River, spend 2 days on the most beautiful island ever- Stradbroke Island, and countless other things. 

Civic Leadership Academy (2004): Right up there with IACE.  This activity got me super interested in politics.  Highlights include a trip to Arlington, a tour of the CIA at Langley, tour of the State Department with a private meeting with (former) Secretary of State Colin Powell, various tours around Washington DC, and lobbying for CAP on Capitol Hill.  No other activity like it. 

National Flight Academy-Glider (2002 and 2003): What else can I say?  You get to fly for a week for relatively cheap, and you get the nights to yourself.  Nice, laid back activity for aviation enthusiasts.

National Blue Beret (2003): Wow, this activity is a little bit of everything- ES, AE, and CP.  Who wouldn't want to work at one of the world's largest airshows, get multiple finds, and meet 150 cadets from all over the nation? 

Region Cadet Leadership School- SWR and RMR (2001): This isn't a National Activity, but I decided to include it anyways.  Here, you learn so much about leadership, conducting classes, etc.  Other cool things included a tour of the inside of NORAD, a tour of the Air Force Academy, and various tours around Peterson Air Force Base. 
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

Yoda

I went to Cadet Officer School 2004.  I absolutely loved it, and would highly recommend it to any officer.  You will meet some very high-powered people down there, and they do know what they are talking about.  Among other things, you will do Project X (and it's not the Project X some of you may be thinking of.  The Air Force put a lot of time and energy into this one, and kindly allowed us to use their facilities).

We also do several group leadership problems.  The school is held right on the grounds of the Air War College, meaning you have a lot of resources at your disposal.  The Air Force takes leadership very, very seriously, and it definitely shows.  You will not get a better deal for your money to learn about leadership.

Schmidty06

National Blue Beret 2004.  C'mon, you're working all day, in uniform, and in the middle of maybe half-a-million women.  What's there not to like?  Oh, and there's airplanes, too.   ;D

Horn229

NGSAR (2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004) - Outstanding school, great staff, great training, relaxed atmosphere and the last two nights of each session are free nights. During the free time, you can either buy soda, snacks, cool promotional items, watch a movie or hang out with the rest of the students/staff (and this time is civies time :) ).

NFA-G (2003, with C/Lt Col Ducote) - Echoing what she said, very inexpensive flying, mostly great training ( :) ) and the nights after about 5pm-11pm are free for you to do whatever (by that I mean ANYTHING, you can study, watch tv, or go hang out in the town and buy firecrackers ;D ).
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

dark_side#2

NCSA's :  ;D

GSAR ~ 2002 :P
Hawk Mt. ~ 2003 8)
COS ~ 2004 :D
NBB ~ 2004 :-\
And I'll be at Hawk this summer.

GSAR is a good starter course for ES, COS is a great leadership course ( highly recommended ), NBB was fun, But Hawk was, by far, my personal favorite.
That's it for me.

whatevah

been in CAP for 7 years, only been to one NCSA.  it was MBSS held at the 2000 NESA. Pretty cool, covered the new-to-CAP Incident Command System, and mission management.  We ended up running an actual mission, and sent out one of the Advanced NGSAR teams to track it down.

The cirriculm for the course has changed a lot since then, so I won't comment on what people can expect from it. :)   We had a lot of fun, though, being taught by some of the best ES people in CAP.

I hung out around NFA-G (at MTA) in 2003. From what I saw, it looked to be a lot of fun. I took some photos for the school and sent 3 copies of them on cds to the school commander to distribute, but I heard they didn't get sent out. :-\   (I've still got those pics, if anybody wants a cd)
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin