What happens to former National Commanders

Started by flyguy06, February 08, 2010, 08:22:04 PM

flyguy06

This question goes for former Regionand Wing Commanders too. I know we had a Region C COL William Tallent. he was the SER  Commander for over ten years. this is before term limits. Wonder what ever hapened to him?

RiverAux

With CAP commanders at any level it is is usually an up or out deal.  Unless they move up in the organization they usually seem to quit entirely after a stint in command.  They either get burned by the "politics" or just get burned out.  In CG Aux on the the other hand, since every commander position is term limited (1 year with possibility of 1 year extension in most cases), pretty much all the former commanders stick around and continue to be active at the local level.  Being a leader is just seen as one phase in the CG Aux career rather than as the termination point which it basically is in CAP. 

flyguy06

We had a Wing Commander that went on to be the Region IG.

bosshawk

In Pacific Region, the favorite parking place for former CA Wing Commanders is the Region Staff or the Region Commanders position.  In my 17 years in CAP, two have become Region Commander, one the Region Director of Cadet Programs, another the Region Communications Officer, one the Region Director of Operations.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Cecil DP

Most Corporate officers are offered a position within the organization they just commander or at the next higher level. Though the finest Wing CC I ever worked for told me that after having his CV named as his replacement, he wasn't offered a position at all. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

flyguy06

Isnt it an unwritten requirement to be the Region Commander, you have to have been a Wing Commander?

Cecil DP

It is now! It's actually written into the preferred selection process.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85