What is the most active unit in the Atlanta area?

Started by sog, September 23, 2009, 02:38:24 AM

sog

I had a friend back in NC who flew for the RDU squadron. From the way he told it, it seemed like they flew all the time and there were always missions or training going on.

Now I'm in Atlanta and I want to join the CAP myself. What is the most active unit in the area? I've visited one several times, but aside from some awesome lectures it doesn't seem like they do all that much...
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

jimmydeanno

I'm assuming you are an adult?

If you were to come to my unit (not in the ATL area), you would think that all we did was a bunch of lectures and paperwork.  However, we are extremely active.

The flying, etc usually happens outside the normal meetings.  This could be the case in the unit you've visited.  Ask them about their activity, what they do outside the meetings, etc - it'll give you a better perspective of what goes on.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

sog

Heh, yeah. 22 years old. Private, Instrument, and 99% done with my Commercial training. Anxious to be involved, especially if that means flying. But they just don't seem that interested in me.  :(

ColonelJack

Quote from: sog on September 23, 2009, 02:38:24 AM
I had a friend back in NC who flew for the RDU squadron. From the way he told it, it seemed like they flew all the time and there were always missions or training going on.

Now I'm in Atlanta and I want to join the CAP myself. What is the most active unit in the area? I've visited one several times, but aside from some awesome lectures it doesn't seem like they do all that much...
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

If you don't mind the drive down to LaGrange, come check out West Georgia Composite Squadron.  We are getting things done -- two local-hosted SAREX programs in August ... another coming up in October ... our kids going on O-rides ... glider flights ... we have a lot going on. 

Tuesdays, 1800 to 2000 hours, at the CAP hangar on Aerotron Parkway.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

flyguy06

Are you talking about active in terms of flying or what? If your goal is flying Group in Northwest Atlanta and Georgia is the most active. Atlanta one senior squadron in Cobb County.

sog

Quote from: ColonelJack on September 23, 2009, 03:32:56 AM
If you don't mind the drive down to LaGrange, come check out West Georgia Composite Squadron.  We are getting things done -- two local-hosted SAREX programs in August ... another coming up in October ... our kids going on O-rides ... glider flights ... we have a lot going on. 

Tuesdays, 1800 to 2000 hours, at the CAP hangar on Aerotron Parkway.

Jack

Thanks for the offer, I might trek down there. I've always wanted to learn how to fly gliders, seems like a great skill.

How often per month do people from your group fly missions or training that is paid for by the government, either in powered or unpowered aircraft?

Do you meet every tuesday, or just 2nd and 4th, or what?

ColonelJack

Quote from: sog on September 23, 2009, 09:34:33 PM

Thanks for the offer, I might trek down there. I've always wanted to learn how to fly gliders, seems like a great skill.

How often per month do people from your group fly missions or training that is paid for by the government, either in powered or unpowered aircraft?

Do you meet every tuesday, or just 2nd and 4th, or what?

We meet every Tuesday evening.  It's a combined Senior and Cadet meeting, with each program doing pretty much its own thing.  Air Ops handles most of the Senior stuff, except for Supply, Admin, and PAO -- we all go off and do pretty much what we're supposed to do.  The cadets do what they do as well, and there is a lot of Senior-Cadet interaction.  They learn from us; we learn from them.

We fly missions, mostly SAREX and Lake Patrol, just about every weekend.  Most of that isn't paid for by the government, though ... our pilots pay for a lot of it, and we use squadron funds to cover the rest.

You'd be welcome!  Let me know when you want to come and I'll let the CC know to expect an out-of-town guest.  We had the Wing King visit us this week -- first time ever for the unit.  He liked what he saw, and he loves what we've been doing.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

LittleIronPilot

Hmmmm.....in the ATL area I can think of three that are big flyers:

PDK
LZU
FFC

with LGC starting to kick arse but not exactly "in the area".

flyguy06

Hmmm. Ididnt know LC was growing. I'd be interested in checking them out myself