Main Menu

What instrument?

Started by Michael, January 23, 2008, 09:21:34 PM

Which of these musical instruments can you play at least one major scale on?

Piccolo
Flute
Clarinet
Saxophone (Alto, Tenor, Bari, or Bass)
Trombone (Tenor, Alto, or Bass)
Trumpet
French Horn
Euphonium/Baritone
Tuba/Sousaphone
Any of the mallet instruments
Guitar
Bass
Viola
Violin
Cello
Harp
Bagpipes
Piano
Vocals

SarDragon

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on March 07, 2008, 06:22:47 AM
That is cruel.  Unbelievably cruel.  You will be haunted by an oboe for 3 years time to repay and repent for your sins.

Hey, baby, my tuba kicks brass.  8)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SAR-EMT1

Trombone, some vocals, some Baritone, recorder and bagpipes. Alumni of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia and several college bands. Future Goal: Learn how to play a Swiss Mountain Horn ... "Riccola"
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

dwb

Is it me, or are there a lot of low brass people on this board?

For the number of low brass instruments in your average band, there appears to be an  unusually high percentage of those people posting on CAP Talk.

DeputyDog

I started out on the baritone, then switched to the sousaphone a few years later.

I can still play "When the saints go marching in..." on both of them.

Camas

Quote from: dwb on March 07, 2008, 01:07:01 PM
Is it me, or are there a lot of low brass people on this board?
For the number of low brass instruments in your average band, there appears to be an  unusually high percentage of those people posting on CAP Talk.

Gotta plead guilty.  I played lower brass throughout high school, college and was a 76150K (bass player) in the Air Force.  I still have a Conn Connstellation 48H trombone that I've had since 1959.

In answer to the poll, I can play a scale on every instrument listed except the bagpipe.  I checked "Piano" for no special reason.

SAR-EMT1

Awesome...

As for the simplest explaination as to the high number of brass on this board...

CAP tends to attract people of a higher intellect. What can I say?

>:D
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

jimmydeanno

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on March 07, 2008, 07:22:50 PM
Awesome...

As for the simplest explaination as to the high number of brass on this board...

...or it is a direct reflection of our organization...too much brass  :D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 07, 2008, 07:32:29 PM
Awesome...

That was classic !
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

tvknight415

voted trumpet, but also have to list:

Euphonium/Baritone
Tuba/Sousaphone
Piano
Vocals

Tubacap

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 07, 2008, 07:32:29 PM
Awesome...

As someone who is fairly educated on instrumentation (Bachelor of Music) I would concur that CAP definitely attracts brass players, especially low brass players, because of their naturally superior intellect.  8)

If anyone has information about any oboe player that has infultrated our ranks, please pass it up your chain of command, or the IG, so that this issue can be resolved quickly and quietly.  >:D
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Lord

Hah! A trick question! You can't play a Major Scale on bagpipes...only a Mixolydian scale!

Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Michael

Quote from: Major Lord on April 11, 2008, 11:16:57 PM
Hah! A trick question! You can't play a Major Scale on bagpipes...only a Mixolydian scale!

Lord

Yeah.

I heard a bunch of bagpipes play a conventional college fight song (ND) and thought they slaughtered it due to the crazy change of tune.  It's nice to know it was the instrument and not the players.
Bill Coons, C/Capt

alexalvarez

Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014

RiverAux

Was picking up some old stuff from my parent's house recently and got my trumpet.  Though I barely remembered the basic scale (and had to look up a chart on the internet to figure out one problem area) and don't remember hardly anything about reading sheet music, with just about a half hour or so of practice I was able to still hit the highest notes I was able to get in high school. 

I'm not sure if that says more about how bad I was in high school or whether it says its like riding a bike again. 

The one thing I can tell you is that a jar of vaseline thats been sitting untouched in a trumpet case for at least 20 years is NOT a pretty sight. 

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

SAR-EMT1

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

CadetProgramGuy

flyerthom

TC

Chappie

Trumpet, baritone,  piano, vocals. 
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)