Main Menu

What instrument?

Started by Michael, January 23, 2008, 09:21:34 PM

Which of these musical instruments can you play at least one major scale on?

Piccolo
Flute
Clarinet
Saxophone (Alto, Tenor, Bari, or Bass)
Trombone (Tenor, Alto, or Bass)
Trumpet
French Horn
Euphonium/Baritone
Tuba/Sousaphone
Any of the mallet instruments
Guitar
Bass
Viola
Violin
Cello
Harp
Bagpipes
Piano
Vocals

Michael

Something new, and relatively untouched.

If you play more than one, or an instrument not listed, feel free to post it.
Bill Coons, C/Capt

jeders

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

SJFedor

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

ColonelJack

Or the bagpipes, laddie???

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

Michael

There.  Pretty much anyone can play a major scale on the piano though.

I expect to see a lot of NY Wing members.  (Juilliard, Eastman, and Crane are all located in NY)
Bill Coons, C/Capt

cnitas

Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Michael

Sadly yes.  This is my first poll, and I screwed that detail up.  I too am affected.  I play trombone, euphonium, and cornet.

If you play more than one instrument, feel free to add it.
Bill Coons, C/Capt

Al Sayre

^^^  Yeah, and where are the rest of the strings?  Banjo, Ukelele, Mandolin, etc.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

♠SARKID♠

Played trumpet since 6th grade, almost went professional with it.  Been playing guitar for a few years, also alto sax and piano.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

_

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RogueLeader

I only bang on drums, oh and the occasional cymbal.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Michael

I was hoping for, 

"I play trombone on and off now and then.  Was in the Army Blues Band for about 10 years then toured with the Joe Schmoe Orchestra for a few years..."

you know the more serious kind of thing but, ok.

And I didn't know major scales could be played on the Didgeridoo.
Bill Coons, C/Capt

♠SARKID♠

Okay, I'll elaborate a bit.  I played trumpet for 3 years in the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee Youth Wind Ensemble.  Not to brag, but its a group of the best high school musicians in the Milwaukee area and is often regarded as having a higher skill level than most college groups.

After HS I went on to the UW-Waukesha band, which sucked like a hoover.

Now, I play guitar in my spare time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rD-MRd5pE0

Tubacap

Well, I can play major scales on all of them with the exception of bagpipes and guitar.  That being said, I have my Bachelor of Music (BM haha) in Music Eduation with an emphasis on Tuba, hence Tubacap.  In fact I just came from listening to 9 people audition for a seat at District 8 Orchestra in PA. 

My playing experience is mostly at the University level.  I was the principal tubist for the Mansfield University Orchestra for two years, as well as the principal tubist of the symphonic band for 2 years.  Now I play with a semi-pro group, the Billtown Brass, out of Williamsport PA, and do freelance work in the Williamsport and Corning areas.

I must say though, teaching full time, being a full time student, a squadron commander, working on the Counternarcotics schedule, and most importantly being a semi-new dad, playing my horn for fun doesn't happen a lot... although... I did just get a new St. Petersburg tuba for my school.

BTY if you love playing but don't have a band to play with, check out www.smartmusic.com.  It's a great program, with songs of all ability levels on there.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Eclipse

You can't play Major scales until you complete Level III.

"That Others May Zoom"

Michael

That was good.

Tubacap:

Thanks very much for the post.

I may actually be playing a little too much; Regular Wind Ensemble at school, Jazz  Band and a the school musical.  There's just not that much playing in CAP.

I kinda got pumped on the thought of military music after seeing the AF, Army, and Marine concert bands; hence my many posts regarding this subject. 

Bill Coons, C/Capt

Major Carrales

I play violin in a Mariachi Band almost every NON-SARex weekend. I also Trombone, keyboard, some trumpet and guitar in our family showband.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

flyerthom

Trumpet, baritone, soprano and tenor recorder (played in a medieval group years ago). Like any trumpet / cornet player I've played fluegel horn. I bought a trombone off of ebay but still am messing with it. Much better armature for baritone.

You thinking about starting a CapTalk Marching Band?
TC

Tubacap

One thing that I did do, and it helps that I am a band director and have access to music, is I asked around my squadron for people who were interested in playing.  It turns out we had the makings for a brass quintet, so this past Veteran's Day, we provided the music as a CAP Quintet, with a CAP Honor Guard.  It was pretty slick.

I guess it is true that I am working more on my minor scales now (all forms), I guess that is appropriate while I wait for my AFIADL 13 test... but when it comes, I have all 12 Majors lined up!
NER-PA-001

DogCollar

I play guitar.  Have played for the last 25 years.  It has been a great mental health exercise.  I am mostly self-taught.  Wish I could play better.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

Capt Rivera

Quote from: Tubacap on January 24, 2008, 12:10:08 PM
One thing that I did do, and it helps that I am a band director and have access to music, is I asked around my squadron for people who were interested in playing.  It turns out we had the makings for a brass quintet, so this past Veteran's Day, we provided the music as a CAP Quintet, with a CAP Honor Guard.  It was pretty slick.

do you have VIDEO or audio of this?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

Bluelakes 13

I used to play my piano very well - the first part of the 1st Mov of Beethoven's Pathetique sonata from memory.

And then I joined CAP...

Stonewall

Here ya go...
Serving since 1987.

Walkman

Way back in the day, I played sax, then bass guitar for a little. Never got really great at either, though.

The one instrument you forgot in the voice. I've been singing in choirs for many years. I used to sing baritone & bass, but recently have been stretching myself into a tenor part (mostly because my current choir is low on tenors).

DC

I picked up the violin when I was in 6th grade, played in the school string orchestra for two years, then went homeschool..

I still play though, just on my own for stress relief...

Michael

Quote from: flyerthom on January 24, 2008, 04:01:33 AM
Trumpet, baritone, soprano and tenor recorder (played in a medieval group years ago). Like any trumpet / cornet player I've played fluegel horn. I bought a trombone off of ebay but still am messing with it. Much better armature for baritone.

You thinking about starting a CapTalk Marching Band?

Despite the incredible awesomeness of that idea, I do not have the know-how (despite 6 years of Trombone training), the time, the people, nor the resources to create such an organization.  However, I may start a small, part-time cadet quintet type group at my squadron.
Bill Coons, C/Capt

Tubacap

We did that for one of the veterans day.  Went very well.
NER-PA-001

dwb

I played cornet for one year in elementary school.  I picked up baritone/euphonium in the 8th grade, and trombone in the 9th grade (when my arms were finally long enough).

Played euphonium in the concert and marching bands, trombone in jazz band.  I also performed in about 10 Tubachristmas events.

I also got to play a song with the Air Force Band of Liberty when they visited our city.  In fact, I have a news article about it that I found recently; maybe I should scan it and post it.

Coons -- if I remember, I'll bring it to the meeting on Wednesday.  It's a great picture of me with my big dorky glasses. ;D

ßτε

I played cornet for two years and switched to baritone/euphonium. My arms never did get long enough for 7th position, so I stuck with a valve trombone.  I tried to play tuba for one semester, but went back to baritone/euphonium for most of my college days.

Michael

Quote from: Walkman on January 24, 2008, 04:27:13 PM
Way back in the day, I played sax, then bass guitar for a little. Never got really great at either, though.

The one instrument you forgot in the voice. I've been singing in choirs for many years. I used to sing baritone & bass, but recently have been stretching myself into a tenor part (mostly because my current choir is low on tenors).

I stand corrected.  I'm playing a musical right now so I'm a little bit naturally biased against vocalists right now.

But yeah.
Bill Coons, C/Capt

Michael

Quote from: dwb on March 02, 2008, 02:23:15 AM
I played cornet for one year in elementary school.  I picked up baritone/euphonium in the 8th grade, and trombone in the 9th grade (when my arms were finally long enough).

Played euphonium in the concert and marching bands, trombone in jazz band.  I also performed in about 10 Tubachristmas events.

I also got to play a song with the Air Force Band of Liberty when they visited our city.  In fact, I have a news article about it that I found recently; maybe I should scan it and post it.

Coons -- if I remember, I'll bring it to the meeting on Wednesday.  It's a great picture of me with my big dorky glasses. ;D

Oh I already saw your glasses in your NYWG COY pic, sir.
Bill Coons, C/Capt

Short Field

In a previous life, I was on a music scholarship in college for a couple of years until I enlisted.  Played all the woodwinds but really preferred the saxes - which one depended on the music.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: Stonewall on January 24, 2008, 04:25:18 PM
Here ya go...

[Crappy Singing]

My .45 left me for a .223......

[/Crappy Singing]

dwb

Quote from: MikeTA on March 02, 2008, 04:32:38 AMOh I already saw your glasses in your NYWG COY pic, sir.

I thought my glasses were cooler by the time I made COY.  :-[ The first couple pairs I owned were as big as my face.

When I first got glasses, our choices were 1. the big plastic brown ones, or 2. the big plastic blue ones.  I opted for brown.  Kids these days get all kinds of stylish frames to choose from.  You can actually look cool in glasses.

Johnny Yuma

"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

SarDragon

For all the "bandies" on here:

You can identify them ahead-of-time -- they lead with their left foot when the music starts.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

♠SARKID♠

That is cruel.  Unbelievably cruel.  You will be haunted by an oboe for 3 years time to repay and repent for your sins.

SarDragon

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on March 07, 2008, 06:22:47 AM
That is cruel.  Unbelievably cruel.  You will be haunted by an oboe for 3 years time to repay and repent for your sins.

Hey, baby, my tuba kicks brass.  8)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SAR-EMT1

Trombone, some vocals, some Baritone, recorder and bagpipes. Alumni of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia and several college bands. Future Goal: Learn how to play a Swiss Mountain Horn ... "Riccola"
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

dwb

Is it me, or are there a lot of low brass people on this board?

For the number of low brass instruments in your average band, there appears to be an  unusually high percentage of those people posting on CAP Talk.

DeputyDog

I started out on the baritone, then switched to the sousaphone a few years later.

I can still play "When the saints go marching in..." on both of them.

Camas

Quote from: dwb on March 07, 2008, 01:07:01 PM
Is it me, or are there a lot of low brass people on this board?
For the number of low brass instruments in your average band, there appears to be an  unusually high percentage of those people posting on CAP Talk.

Gotta plead guilty.  I played lower brass throughout high school, college and was a 76150K (bass player) in the Air Force.  I still have a Conn Connstellation 48H trombone that I've had since 1959.

In answer to the poll, I can play a scale on every instrument listed except the bagpipe.  I checked "Piano" for no special reason.

SAR-EMT1

Awesome...

As for the simplest explaination as to the high number of brass on this board...

CAP tends to attract people of a higher intellect. What can I say?

>:D
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

jimmydeanno

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on March 07, 2008, 07:22:50 PM
Awesome...

As for the simplest explaination as to the high number of brass on this board...

...or it is a direct reflection of our organization...too much brass  :D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 07, 2008, 07:32:29 PM
Awesome...

That was classic !
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

tvknight415

voted trumpet, but also have to list:

Euphonium/Baritone
Tuba/Sousaphone
Piano
Vocals

Tubacap

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 07, 2008, 07:32:29 PM
Awesome...

As someone who is fairly educated on instrumentation (Bachelor of Music) I would concur that CAP definitely attracts brass players, especially low brass players, because of their naturally superior intellect.  8)

If anyone has information about any oboe player that has infultrated our ranks, please pass it up your chain of command, or the IG, so that this issue can be resolved quickly and quietly.  >:D
NER-PA-001

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Lord

Hah! A trick question! You can't play a Major Scale on bagpipes...only a Mixolydian scale!

Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Michael

Quote from: Major Lord on April 11, 2008, 11:16:57 PM
Hah! A trick question! You can't play a Major Scale on bagpipes...only a Mixolydian scale!

Lord

Yeah.

I heard a bunch of bagpipes play a conventional college fight song (ND) and thought they slaughtered it due to the crazy change of tune.  It's nice to know it was the instrument and not the players.
Bill Coons, C/Capt

alexalvarez

Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014

RiverAux

Was picking up some old stuff from my parent's house recently and got my trumpet.  Though I barely remembered the basic scale (and had to look up a chart on the internet to figure out one problem area) and don't remember hardly anything about reading sheet music, with just about a half hour or so of practice I was able to still hit the highest notes I was able to get in high school. 

I'm not sure if that says more about how bad I was in high school or whether it says its like riding a bike again. 

The one thing I can tell you is that a jar of vaseline thats been sitting untouched in a trumpet case for at least 20 years is NOT a pretty sight. 

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

SAR-EMT1

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

CadetProgramGuy

flyerthom

TC

Chappie

Trumpet, baritone,  piano, vocals. 
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)