What is Civil Air Patrol's mission?

Started by Pylon, January 13, 2008, 01:10:31 AM

Pylon

What is Civil Air Patrol's real mission these days?  Not the three mission mantra or a "Missions for America" tagline.  But what is our organization's true purpose right now?

We've got active ES programs in some states.  In other states, we don't have any ES at all.

We've got dozens of programs competing for units' attentions: Wreaths across America, DDR, Safety, CISM...   

We've got about ten different "operational" missions:   CounterDrug, Aerial Damage Assessment, Aerial Photography, sometimes we do Aerial Searches, Ground searches, UDF for ELTs (which is going away soon), Cadet O-Flights, Border Patrol, training TACPs for the AF and ANG, we're hoping (begging?) we can do some real Homeland Security or Homeland Defense missions, but only a few actual jobs have come through.

Our Aerospace Education"mission" often goes completely by the wayside unless it's within a Cadet Programs context.  Sometimes, some areas have some external AE programs or seminars or school-based programs... but these are few and far between.  We're now adding these younger "school-based programs" under the AE hat, but again - in a few cities (and I'm still unclear what we're really trying to accomplish there).

Our Cadet Program is the only "mission" I see that we have that has a clearly defined mission statement, clearly defined five program components, and is applied - for the most part - fairly consistently in every Wing in CAP.

Now throw this VSAF mission into the mix.  We're going to help the Air Force out with there stuff... maybe family-centered stuff.... we're not sure in what capacity yet, but we're going to help out the Air Force on their bases.

So with our ELT missions going away, with our growing "mission spread" of CAP,  with our zeal to try to get just about any job or task from any federal or state agency we think we could do, and with our operations varying so very much from wing to wing what CAP actually does operationally - what is our organizations purpose?  What is CAP here for?  Are we "Volunteers and Aircrafts for Hire?" to the any municipal, state or federal org?  Do we have a focused mission?     

It would just help to know what our organizations clear and defined purpose is for a whole heck of a lot of reasons.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

mikeylikey

It is very difficult to tell these days!  In the near future I think NHQ wants CAP to be the "FRG stand-ins" at AF Bases.  I seriously hope all of NHQ efforts are not placed on this new VSAF program.  We need to start doing what we did on Sept 12, 2011.  Flying and perfroming Homeland Defense assignments would be KEY for our organization.  Scrap all "new and neat" ideas, until we can at least figure out why we are sucking in our stated primary missions TODAY!

What's up monkeys?

Smokey

Quote from: Pylon on January 13, 2008, 01:10:31 AM
What is CAP here for?  Are we "Volunteers and Aircrafts for Hire?" to the any municipal, state or federal org? 

There are many within CAP who want to be "Volunteers and Aircrafts for Hire."  They are mostly the corporate folks who want to fly on someone else's dime. They really don't care why they are flying or for who , as long as they get to fly for free.  They are the folks you hear in this forum wishing to loose the AF uniform, have issues about customs & courtesies, and following the focus and goals of our parent the Air Force.

They usually use the excuse of "flying to check for stray rabbits in the forest" or "flying to check if there is enough water in the reservoir" as training to improve our skills.

And you will hear them flaming on me for this post !!!
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

isuhawkeye

I know this is a political issue, and that many will not agree but I cant help myself. 

This question is the national application of the Iowa issue. What is CAP, what is our mission, and who will we work for in the future?

RiverAux

1.  Encourage and aid citizens of the United States in contributing their efforts, services, and resources in developing aviation and in maintaining air supremacy.

2.  Encourage and develop by example the voluntary contribution of private citizens to the public welfare.  

3.  To provide aviation education and training especially to its senior and cadet members.

4.  To encourage and foster civil aviation in local communities.

5.  To provide an organization of private citizens with adequate facilities to assist in meeting local and national emergencies.

6.  To assist the Department of the Air Force in fulfilling its non-combat programs and missions.

I'd hardly call wreaths across america a mission -- it is a 1 day public relations event.  

Our ES missions haven't really changed since CD was added in the 1980s.  Just some new gizmos added in.  

I also wouldn't say that Safety and CISM are really "missions" either.  They are part of our other major missions.  

Frankly, except in those few states with a superabundance of ELT & EPIRB missions, CAP is being underutilized for ES since we primarily think of ourselves in terms of air SAR.  If there is a wing not doing ES, it is by their choice.  There are plenty of ways of getting involved and if the air searches are being done by another state agency, then focus on ground SAR and other DR issues.  Plenty of work to go around.  

I've said it before, but in regards to our actual assigned purposes (quoted above) we have failed to even basically address our duty to encourage civil aviation and I'll agree that we do not do as much external AE as we probably should.  

arajca

The single most critical problem I see in CAP is a complete lack of guidance and direction from the top. Ideally, and once upon a time, CAP was a true national organization with all parts supporting the known mission of CAP. Today, as witnessed by this and other discussions going on here, NO ONE IN CAP HAS CLUE WHAT CAP'S PURPOSE IS OR HOW TO TRANSLATE THE VARIOUS MISSION STATEMENT INTO A COHESIVE PROGRAM! I am not excluding myself from this.

The interim national commander is, according to what I have been able to read, supposed to be a top-notch businesswoman. Based on her actions and apparent lack of communication, I am starting to wonder about this.

Here, and throughout CAP, there are ALOT of hard chargers and Type A personalities who can be harnessed by a true leader to take CAP to great heights and make it a truly functional organization. Without a true leader, we have one organization comprised of 52 separate operating agencies made up of anywhere from 10 to 100+ individual programs, few of which can work together for any significant length of time. There have been some attempts to change this at the lower and middle levels, but no real systemic improvement has happened, nor do I see anything happening soon.

For now, what CAP needs is a LEADER! We need someone to stand up and say "This is our goal. This is how we get there." It may be painful, organizationally, as some folks will quit. Believe it or not, those folks deserve our respect. Others will stay to torpedo the plan. Those folks need the boot. Most, I believe, will stay and, like a team of horses under an expert driver, take CAP where it needs to go.

Eclipse

I have never had any doubt of what are assigned missions are.

The fact that we may not be executing on them doesn't change what they are.  The fact that many commanders, and even whole wings have chosen to ignore one or more of them does not change what they are.

I participate in 2/3rd's of the mission as a matter of course, and the last 1/3 as a matter of coincidence and
in support of the first 2/3rd's.  I'm sorely aware of the places we are not executing fully, which means I know what they are.

Pylon, I agree with River in that all you've done is identified individual activities or component parts of a still coherent mission.

I don't think that anyone would say similar things about police or fire personnel, but you could also argue things like  "Toys for Tots", or the local Oktobeerfest are not part of their mission.  These are simply things the organiztions do as part of their mission, not in lieu of it.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I will say that while the SAR part of our ES mission is quite clear, we have absolutely no policy or guidance on disaster relief missions other than taking aerial damage assessment photos and light transport missions.  No guidance at all in regards to ground forces. 

ZigZag911

It comes down to the 3 missions or nothing....the problem is every NB member has his/her own interpretation of what that means, and to some degree guides their own wing in their own vision....which may not mesh with the national vision.....then squadrons like to go off in their own directions.

Should there be individuality in units & wings? Sure....within the parameters of a common perspective.

The problem is lack of accountability.....the senior leadership is elected by those they command!

And don't bother pointing to Coast Guard Aux, because as I understand it, Auxiliarist leaders do not command!

CAP has been running under our own equivalent of the "Articles of Confederation" for almost 70 years....perhaps it's time for a "constitutional convention"!

RiverAux

CAP has nothing at all to worry about in terms of too many missions if you look at the huge variety of things CG Aux is supposed to be doing.  They've got a couple of dozen different programs and thats not even counting the wide variety of things that can be done to augment the CG. 

NIN

BTW, in my coining of the term "Seven Mission Spread™," I did not intend to say that Safety, DDR, Wreaths Across America, etc, are truly our "missions," but merely that often there is sufficient emphasis placed upon them, and other fairly nonsensical things, that they compete heavily with the "core competencies" of the organization, or that there is such serious interest in the "maximum performance" of these functions that they very nearly become de facto missions unto themselves.

That's all

It was very tongue in cheek...

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

cap235629

It is interesting that the "what is our mission" subject is in full swing.  At our squadron meeting last week we were discussing how UDF/ELT missions would all but dry up in the near future.  To remain relevant, we have to adapt.  As such, our squadron is talking about CERT training, NASAR certifications and fully integrating the Homeland Security/Disaster Relief officer position at a SQUADRON level.  The vision I have of this course is having a fully capable force available that can integrate with our State and Local Emergency Management Agencies in such a way that we are all working out of the same book.  CAP units would present themselves as a UNIT, be it a ground team or CERT team, to the local IC when needed and say "where do you need us".  This is of course in addition to our standard Air Search and Rescue role.  In effect we can be the most versatile and capable group in the area. We are blessed here in Arkansas that CAP is completely integrated into the emergency plans of the State and in fact are the primary responder on the states roster for Air Search and Rescue, and we are listed as a secondary resource for all other missions. 

By taking "civilian" certification courses and training we will speak the same language as our "customers".  They have no clue what a GTM3 can do but do know what a Sartech3 is.

This is just an example of how ES one of our 3 missions is going to have to change due to the changing world we live in

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

isuhawkeye

i'd invite you to my es academy where we cover all the recognised quals, but ???

drop me a line.  I can help

Senior

flyguy06

Thats not an easy question to answer because the answer wil very with where you are from and what your units goals are. My unit is inthe inner city of ATlanta GA. We have a lot of youths that come from a certain income level household. Our young people are interested in flying and being pilots. I think only one has expressed an interets in going to the woods and doing first aid typr thigs. The others have no interest in that. So in my unit, we emphasize flight training, aerodynamics, flying careers and cadet programstuff. What I meanby that is we are raising a color guard, we are trying to do community service projects and we encourage our youths to go on to college and pursue technical type degrees. 

Again, thats my unit. Across town there is a unit that all they do is ground team stuff and that sok because thats what they are interested in and since they are paying their money, I think they should be happy with the product

ColonelJack

Quote from: arajca on January 13, 2008, 03:57:26 AM
The single most critical problem I see in CAP is a complete lack of guidance and direction from the top. Ideally, and once upon a time, CAP was a true national organization with all parts supporting the known mission of CAP. Today, as witnessed by this and other discussions going on here, NO ONE IN CAP HAS CLUE WHAT CAP'S PURPOSE IS OR HOW TO TRANSLATE THE VARIOUS MISSION STATEMENT INTO A COHESIVE PROGRAM! I am not excluding myself from this.

I don't see where the actual stated missions of CAP have changed at all.  They are the Cadet Program, Aerospace Education, and Search and Rescue.  (Not necessarily in that order.)  There are areas where SAR is the sole reason CAP exists; there are areas where CP is the sole reason CAP exists.  Unlike its parent Air Force, Civil Air Patrol's program is adaptable to its local needs.  Some areas don't need active Cadet Programs; some do.  Some areas don't need active SAR units; some do.  The idea of creating one cohesive Civil Air Patrol is a good one; how to avoid losing the local aspect of CAP is the difficult step.  For as has been said elsewhere, Civil Air Patrol is at its best a local program.  Groups, wings, and regions exist to support the local CAP unit, not the other way around.  (At least, that's how I've always heard it.)

The interim national commander is, according to what I have been able to read, supposed to be a top-notch businesswoman. Based on her actions and apparent lack of communication, I am starting to wonder about this.

I'm not wondering about her abilities at all.  See, General Courter inherited in some respects a pretty rancid can of peas when she became interim CC; anyone who expected her to turn things around 180 degrees within moments was expecting far too much.  Even as national commander, she cannot be everywhere and do everything.  The existing support structure -- National staff, Region CCs, etc. -- has to work with her to get her vision out there.  And before anyone says, "What's her vision, then??" I say consider -- she's the interim National CC, keeping the ship afloat for now.  Only after she's elected to a full term as commander (if indeed she is) will she have the mandate to do what is necessary, whatever that turns out to be.  Patience, Grasshopper; things will happen.

Here, and throughout CAP, there are ALOT of hard chargers and Type A personalities who can be harnessed by a true leader to take CAP to great heights and make it a truly functional organization. Without a true leader, we have one organization comprised of 52 separate operating agencies made up of anywhere from 10 to 100+ individual programs, few of which can work together for any significant length of time. There have been some attempts to change this at the lower and middle levels, but no real systemic improvement has happened, nor do I see anything happening soon.

And some of those changes are fantastic ones; others are not so good.  If you're referring to the Iowa Wing approach, remember -- what works in one wing will not necessarily work in others.  Or, as we say in show business, just 'cause it plays here doesn't mean it'll play in Peoria.  CAP is capable of much, much more than it does, I fully agree ... but as long as you have different people, you'll have different views of what it can/should do.  A strong leader (a Fuehrer?) isn't what's needed, in my never-to-be-humble opinion ... what is needed is a group of leaders willing to follow a stated plan of direction.  And for that, we need to wait until General Courter has her mandate to lead, if indeed she gets one -- or whoever gets that mandate.

For now, what CAP needs is a LEADER! We need someone to stand up and say "This is our goal. This is how we get there." It may be painful, organizationally, as some folks will quit. Believe it or not, those folks deserve our respect. Others will stay to torpedo the plan. Those folks need the boot. Most, I believe, will stay and, like a team of horses under an expert driver, take CAP where it needs to go.

I like the way you think, sir, but I have to ask -- where, in your opinion, does CAP need to go?  If you got the nod tomorrow, where would you take CAP?

My two cents.  Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

isuhawkeye

properly registered 406 beacons allow AFRCC to process false alarms by contacting the owner of the beacon directly.

GPS enabled 406 beacons allow AFRCC to contact the local authorities directly and tell them exactly where the beacon is.  

Those beacons with out GPS availability will still require some "search"

121.5 will still be around as legacy, but satellites wont be listening for them.  

with that small number of missions can we justify our multi million dollar SAR budget

mikeylikey

Quote from: isuhawkeye on January 13, 2008, 10:45:59 PM
with that small number of missions can we justify our multi million dollar SAR budget

Simple answer...NO.

Long answer......NO.
What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

The flipside is that in the medium term we may see an increase in large scale missing airplane searches after the satellite stops monitoring 121.5 and no longer picks up signals from crashed planes with the old ELTs on them.  What once could have been a quick distress ELT find may take days. 

Also, people forget the rise of personal emergency beacons.  Pretty soon it just won't be GA aircraft and big boats that will be putting out signals, real and false.  Heck, Cabelas is selling them for as little as $450 now. 

We won't be getting those calls from AFRCC, but the states will very likely want our help. 

Pylon

Perhaps I'm oversimplifying by combining the problem of internal programs which take unnecessary precedence and work burdens and the missions of Civil Air Patrol.  Forgive my confusion in the matter.

However, how does something like VSAF fit into Civil Air Patrol's mission?  Is that Emergency Services?   Is that Aerospace Education?

My point in starting the thread was to perhaps point out that our missions are becoming quite varied and we seem eager to take on just about any type of work.  Isn't it better to have a "scope of work" for Civil Air Patrol to define "this is what we do and this is why we're here"?   Things that fall outside that scope might be nice additions when we have spare time or resources, but don't take center stage over our primary focus.  But what is our primary focus evolving to?  Can we create a concise statement of what CAP's missions are supposed to be in today's terms?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP