What happens to National Commander after term?

Started by atlantis737, January 18, 2015, 08:50:54 PM

atlantis737

Hello all,

I've never seen anything about former Nat'l Commanders or Vice Commanders doing anything after leaving their NHQ positions.  Are they required to leave CAP after their term, or do most of them voluntarily retire from the program?

Just curious.  I'd love to hear stories about former Nat'l CC/VC's doing interesting things after their term.

JeffDG

Maj Gen Courter has remained active, particularly with IACE IIRC.

lordmonar

The former national commanders have a semi offical committee that they sit on and sometimes advise the sitting national commander.

Most former national commanders do the right thing and fade into the back ground for a time letting the new guy take over and do his thing.

Gen Courter was the CAP rep to the IACE Committee and IIRC she was the chair of that committee.

The previous two national commanders left office in less then stellar circumstances and both left CAP IIRC.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Most stay active on one level or another serving on various boards, going back to their wings
or regions, etc.

There are some relatively recent restrictions in place now that limit where former HEADCAPs can
serve - for example they are ineligible to serve on the BOG for 6 years.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

I thought the advisory committee of former commanders was just the polite name for the glue factory...

I'd imagine after being National Commander, and all the volunteer hours it requires, you're pretty tired.  It's a really serious commitment, and takes a lot out of someone.  It's best for someone who's retired.

MSG Mac

MG Wheless served as the MER Legal Officer and was brought up to National in the same capacity.
BG Cass is a Group Chaplain in the Tampa Bay area
BG Anderson served on the BofG and as President of the Spaatz Association
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

atlantis737

Out of curiosity, could a former National Commander/Vice Commander go back and serve as a Squadron/Group/Wing Commander?

LTCinSWR

I haven't seen anything in the regs that would prohibit it, but why would they want to? This may be projection, but if I in that position, I would be ready for an advisory role. I certainly wouldn't do anything to create the appearance of undermining my successor.
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
Homeland Security Officer
NM Wing Headquarters

LTCinSWR

Quote from: MSG Mac on January 18, 2015, 09:57:37 PM
BG Anderson served on the BofG and as President of the Spaatz Association

General Anderson was also elected to the Virginia House of Delegates after retiring from the Air Force.
http://richanderson.com/about/
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
NM Wing Headquarters

Afbrat52

Are the former National Commanders demoted after their terms?

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Afbrat52 on January 18, 2015, 11:04:46 PM

No.  Why should they be, unless they've done something very egregious, like the former Generalissimo who almost pulled CAP into the toilet, hook, line and stinker?

General Courter still has her two stars.

General Anderson still has his star (he's also a retired Air Force Colonel, I believe).
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

ColonelJack

Quote from: CyBorg on January 18, 2015, 11:17:37 PM

No.  Why should they be, unless they've done something very egregious, like the former Generalissimo who almost pulled CAP into the toilet, hook, line and stinker?

General Anderson still has his star (he's also a retired Air Force Colonel, I believe).

It's not automatic, though.  The BoG has to approve the rank as permanent following the conclusion of their terms.

For instance, General Courter's first National CV, who served before General Carr; when he (and I'm so sorry that, due to a senior moment, his name escapes me) was denied re-election, the BoG reduced him back to colonel.  It's not a rubber stamp.

Oh, and Cyborg -- "hook, line and stinker?"  I see what you did there ...  ;D

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

AlphaSigOU

Outgoing national commanders also receive life membership in CAP.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

LTCinSWR

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on January 19, 2015, 12:12:25 AM
Outgoing national commanders also receive life membership in CAP.

That too requires a vote. Usually they do, with some glaring exceptions.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
NM Wing Headquarters

dwb

If I'm ever CAP/CC, I'm going to travel around the country and attend random squadron meetings with no notice. Just slip in the back of a classroom while an unsuspecting cadet NCO is teaching new cadets about the chain of command.

When the NCO asks the room "does anyone know who the national commander is?" I'll jump up and say THIS GUY!!

It could happen.

LTCinSWR

Quote from: dwb on January 19, 2015, 12:23:25 AM
If I'm ever CAP/CC, I'm going to travel around the country and attend random squadron meetings with no notice. Just slip in the back of a classroom while an unsuspecting cadet NCO is teaching new cadets about the chain of command.

When the NCO asks the room "does anyone know who the national commander is?" I'll jump up and say THIS GUY!!

It could happen.

That's just mean...
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
NM Wing Headquarters

Afbrat52

RiverAux

It could happen.

The stars might give you away....

JeffDG

Quote from: RiverAux on January 19, 2015, 12:54:07 AM

It could happen.

The stars might give you away....

Just wear a blue polo.

JacobAnn

Quote from: ColonelJack on January 19, 2015, 12:08:53 AM
Quote from: CyBorg on January 18, 2015, 11:17:37 PM

For instance, General Courter's first National CV, who served before General Carr; when he (and I'm so sorry that, due to a senior moment, his name escapes me) was denied re-election, the BoG reduced him back to colonel.

Jack

Reggie Chitwood