Anyone seen this?

Started by Extremepredjudice, April 14, 2012, 11:47:28 PM

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

EMT-83

... along with the postings for 3 other positions, yes.

a2capt

When is the last time you went on eServices, CAPMembers.com, GoCiivilAirPatrol.com... or probably even got spammed by your Wing, Region or National HQ about it?

RADIOMAN015

Notice on those job descriptions its' to implement...  "their (National) goals & visions".....

As far as the home school crowd, it appears that those teens do very well in CAP overall.   

RM

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: a2capt on April 15, 2012, 12:24:40 AM
When is the last time you went on eServices, CAPMembers.com, GoCiivilAirPatrol.com... or probably even got spammed by your Wing, Region or National HQ about it?
I went on yesterday, but I never got an email from anyone.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

cadetesman

I don't think they need this, honestly. In my opinion, there are PLENTY of homeschoolers in CAP. I mean, at my encampment, myself and 4 others in my tent went to public school; we were in the minority!

I've also noticed the trend across CAP, too.

Reaching out to kids in traditional school should be a greater priority. The only way I found out about CAP was from the USAFA website list of things to do to prepare in high school. And it's mostly word of mouth, too.

peter rabbit

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 15, 2012, 01:04:29 AM

If you really want email about anything/everything, sign up for the RSS feeds. You'll get plenty as there are separate feeds for just about everything.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: peter rabbit on April 15, 2012, 06:31:57 PM

If you really want email about anything/everything, sign up for the RSS feeds. You'll get plenty as there are separate feeds for just about everything.
I don't need another RSS feed...

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

davidsinn

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 15, 2012, 09:47:22 PM
Quote from: peter rabbit on April 15, 2012, 06:31:57 PM

I don't need another RSS feed...
The reason you never got the email is because you are not in a member class that is eligible to apply for the position.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: cadetesman on April 15, 2012, 02:30:10 AM
I don't think they need this, honestly. In my opinion, there are PLENTY of homeschoolers in CAP. I mean, at my encampment, myself and 4 others in my tent went to public school; we were in the minority!

Reaching out to kids in traditional school should be a greater priority. The only way I found out about CAP was from the USAFA website list of things to do to prepare in high school. And it's mostly word of mouth, too.

You were in a tent?

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Eclipse on April 15, 2012, 11:15:14 PM
Quote from: cadetesman on April 15, 2012, 02:30:10 AM

You were in a tent?
Yes sir, we were (we both attended the same encampment, not in same tent/flight though). They were junk. falling apart.... Some leaked, and there were holes in the bottom that sand came through.

One side of our tend flipped up in the middle of the night. No fun in winter...

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Eclipse

This was an encampment or a bivouac?  Didn't know any wings had encampments that actually camped any more.

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Eclipse on April 16, 2012, 01:39:37 AM
This was an encampment or a bivouac?  Didn't know any wings had encampments that actually camped any more.
Encampment. We weren't camping though. They were semi-permanent tents set up by FLANG, REDHORSE. They had been there for more than ten years (I think someone said 1990 something)

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

Not from my encampment, the year before. Best pictures I could find...

inside the tents:

In the background (right side) you can see the tents.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Eclipse

Neat - more modern than I pictured.  I'd love to have access to a facility like that.

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

According to REDHORSE staff, we were the last people to use them.

The one in the picture is the nice one. The others were shredded....

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

titanII

Wait, so you guys slept on cots?
That would mean you missed out on the fun of hospital corners!!!!
No longer active on CAP talk

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: titanII on April 18, 2012, 03:17:43 AM
Wait, so you guys slept on cots?
That would mean you missed out on the fun of hospital corners!!!!
Yeah, we did.

They (at least the ones in our barracks) would snap apart randomly, and they weren't much fun putting back together.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

titanII

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 18, 2012, 03:21:39 AM
Yeah, we did.
They (at least the ones in our barracks) would snap apart randomly, and they weren't much fun putting back together.
But still! No 45 degree hospital corners! No six-inch folds, one foot from the end of the bed! That's like, a key part of the Encampment experience!

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: titanII on April 18, 2012, 03:28:29 AM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 18, 2012, 03:21:39 AM
Yeah, we did.
But still! No 45 degree hospital corners! No six-inch folds, one foot from the end of the bed! That's like, a key part of the Encampment experience!

Once you master the duct-taped bunk, it's all "meh".

titanII

Quote from: usafaux2004 on April 18, 2012, 04:21:35 AM
What on earth is a duct taped bunk?

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: titanII on April 18, 2012, 05:22:13 AM

Just what it sounds like. I don't have the picture handy, but I'm sure Eclipse has one of a Navy Chief bouncing a challenge coin on it.

Of course two other Petty Officers were wise, and tried to see how the sheets look like under the blanket, which made the whole mattress come up from the bed. Once back down, the bunk looked good as new though.

titanII

Quote from: usafaux2004 on April 18, 2012, 08:05:24 PM
Just what it sounds like. I don't have the picture handy, but I'm sure Eclipse has one of a Navy Chief bouncing a challenge coin on it.

Of course two other Petty Officers were wise, and tried to see how the sheets look like under the blanket, which made the whole mattress come up from the bed. Once back down, the bunk looked good as new though.
So the sheets are duct-taped to the bed? I'm still not really getting it.

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on April 18, 2012, 08:05:24 PM
Quote from: titanII on April 18, 2012, 05:22:13 AM

Was that 2006 or 2007?

Trying to find it.

Response:

"One of the nicest racks I've seen in a while..."

and then

"Whatever works..."

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

I HATED those racks. Had the displeasure of sleeping in them for three years, and don't ever want to do it again. Having a top rack made things a little better for comfort, but the middles were a little easier to make up.

It is the most difficult bed I have ever had to put sheets on, because access to the back edge is almost non-existent. Fortunately, the inspections involved were never as stringent as what you might have at an encampment. As long as the sheets were clean, and tucked in reasonably well, it was OK.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

The two Petty Officers also specified they probably wouldn't let their recruits do it...but they found it quite fascinating.

Spaceman3750

WIWAC I went to Illinois Summer Encampment 2006 at Marseilles Training Center... If I recall they were chastising cadets who were making their bunk then sleeping on top (I think I did that but it apparently went unnoticed), so we definitely wouldn't have gotten away with a duck tape rack.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 18, 2012, 10:51:57 PM
WIWAC I went to Illinois Summer Encampment 2006 at Marseilles Training Center... If I recall they were chastising cadets who were making their bunk then sleeping on top (I think I did that but it apparently went unnoticed), so we definitely wouldn't have gotten away with a duck tape rack.

We were able to acquire extra blankets. :)

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 18, 2012, 10:51:57 PM

We just pull the sheets after inspection - if they still want to sleep on top, whatever, but the rack ain't spec no mo'.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on April 18, 2012, 10:45:26 PM
I HATED those racks. Had the displeasure of sleeping in them for three years, and don't ever want to do it again. Having a top rack made things a little better for comfort, but the middles were a little easier to make up.

It is the most difficult bed I have ever had to put sheets on, because access to the back edge is almost non-existent. Fortunately, the inspections involved were never as stringent as what you might have at an encampment. As long as the sheets were clean, and tucked in reasonably well, it was OK.

I'm assuming you mean aboard a ship?  We're told that the ones on the RTC are actually a bit larger than the "real" ones.  They are a pain to make since
the blanket slides on the steel, and there's no way to pull it tight from the bottom (though no flags to tuck, either).  We had the old-style until mid-2004
and have been in new ships ever since.

Did you use the canteen trick?

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

Ditto, and If you get the bottom, everyone steps on your nice clean rack with their nasty feet and sticks their butt in your space while they get dressed... the only positive is you're a lot less likely to break something if you get tossed out during bad weather.  Fortunately most of the top racks had "seat belts"...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on April 18, 2012, 10:58:33 PM

I'm assuming you mean aboard a ship?  We're told that the ones on the RTC are actually a bit larger than the "real" ones.  They are a pain to make since
the blanket slides on the steel, and there's no way to pull it tight from the bottom (though no flags to tuck, either).  We had the old-style until mid-2004
and have been in new ships ever since.

Did you use the canteen trick?

The ones in the pic look different than what I slept in, but that was 30 years ago. The newer versions might be what you have in G'Lakes.

Don't know nuttin' 'bout no canteens.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

bflynn

Yeah, those racks are HUGE!  I can't believe all the space!

Try one of theses (mine was in the middle).

SarDragon

Yup, that's it. Being on a bird farm, we had more room between the racks in some of the compartments, depending on the allowable layout.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret