Main Menu

What if.....

Started by Dragoon, January 08, 2007, 02:04:27 PM

Dragoon

Suppose the following came to be:

1.  USAF decides to bring CAP into the fold, and gets Congress to concur.

a.  CAP now becomes heavily involved with HLS missions, flying all kinds of patrols and recon all over the country.

b. CAP becomes a direct reporting agency of some USAF operational asset (like 1st Air Force or the like) and no longer works for a training command.

c.  CAP members are integrated into USAF operations centers at every base not only to coordinate CAP assets, but also assist in doing USAF business.

d.  If qualified, CAP members can serve in a variety of volunteer augmentee roles to USAF units (doctors, chaplains, lawyers, staff assistants, instructors)

e.  In some situations when long term missions are required, USAF pays per-diem to members to do the work.

2.  But....

a.  USAF sets up entrance and qualification criteria - not everyone could join

b.  CAP is told to only wear "corporate" uniforms, so they can be easily distinguished.

c.  Rank insignia is to be removed whenever on USAF missions or performing USAF support, and the CAP member will be addressed as "Auxilarist."

d.  It is made clear that CAP leaders have no innate authority over USAF personnel, nor do USAF officers or NCOs have innate authority over individual CAP members.  However, either can be task organized in a leader or follower roll to the other depending on the mission.

So....in other words, we get to be full partners, but fully identified as Auxiliary, right down to what we wear and the titles we use.

The question is....would you quit CAP over the restrictions they put in place?  Or applaud the closer relationship?

No fair changing conditions - this is a binary decision.  Stay or go?

Al Sayre

So long as I have the opportunity to provide useful service, I stay.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

JohnKachenmeister

Can I fly a Predator and launch missiles?  I am SO there!

Seriously... under those conditions I would stay.

What the heck... The V.A. will still carve "Major" on my headstone.
Another former CAP officer

Eclipse

What  if...

...my grandmother had wheels? Then she'd be a wagon! 

"That Others May Zoom"

DogCollar

Hmmmm....Interesting.  I am unsure which way I would jump?  Towards the possibility or away?  I guess I would have to see if my skill set was needed, and whether I woould have anything useful to do.

Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

Smokey

I'm in for the most part...however if the corporate uniform looks like a clown suit or berry boards it could affect my decision.

I reserve the right to maintain my dignity.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

ELTHunter

If it were adding value, why not.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

ZigZag911

Of course, whatever gets the job done.

MajorSER

Sounds Great!  Sign me up
Lt. Col. David Crockwell MLO
FC 07-09-08
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Я был там как солдатом

carnold1836

I would stay.

Two things that go hand in hand here though. First I would want to make sure the Corp uniform is distinctive enough as to not be confused with the Navy/CG/MM. Second since we will be wearing a Corp uniform there shouldn't be a need to drop the grade insignia from the uniform. That being said if the grade is still to confusing to some people redesign the grade insignia so we don't have to worry about taking it off. I may be mistaken (let me know if I am, please be gentle) but the CG Aux wears the same grade insignia that the CG wears and there doesn't seem to be an issue.

If we truly will be the AF Aux then make distinctive uniforms with the same insignia we use now. Because like it or not currently I am a 2nd Lt in the Civil Air Patrol and have all the privileges and responsibilities of said grade. Of course right now that might not mean a whole lot but if a change is made where there is certain criteria to join I am sure there will be certain criteria to meet to gain grade in the new AF Aux.

my .02
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

afgeo4

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 08, 2007, 02:49:49 PM
Can I fly a Predator and launch missiles?  I am SO there!

Seriously... under those conditions I would stay.

What the heck... The V.A. will still carve "Major" on my headstone.

yes... but will it be followed by "Pain In the Arse"?
;D
GEORGE LURYE

afgeo4

Why would we need a new uniform?  The CG Auxiliary (the closest structure to what you're proposing) wear the same exact uniform as CG officers except for a slightly different insignia and a different color braid/cover device. That's pretty much our current USAF style uniform in a nutshell. I don't think the AF would have an issue with that because they'll be able to deal with a "problem child" if one appears on their terms. Members would answer to the USAF legal authorities when it comes to legal issues.

What I am worried about is... how will our insurance work? How would pay work?  How much will we be stepping on Reserve and ANG heels?

My BIGGEST by far concern would be the following:

Out of every 100 or so CAP members, perhaps 60 are inactive completely.
Out of the remaining, 5 to 10 or so members carry about 90% of the units work, training, enthusiasm, and professionalism. Aside from not having enough personnel who are properly trained we also have an issue with members burning out. If we add missions to CAP, these additional missions with a lot of additional training would fall on...  the same 5 to 10 people who are already overworked. I just don't see that happening.
GEORGE LURYE

RiverAux

60% COMPLETELY inactive???  No way.  Maybe 10-30% completely inactive who just pay dues.  Maybe another 25% who are irregular in meeting attendence and participation in other activities. 

afgeo4

Well... that's just the story I've gotten from the units I've been with and visited around here in the great Northeast.  Particularly NY, NJ, and PA.
GEORGE LURYE

lordmonar

Well...my first thinking is....about the 30-60% completely inactive.....ignore them.  Who cares?  Unless/until we have a requirement to report readiness numbers to some higher head quarters, who cares if someone is only a dues paying member.

About the rest....yes there are a lot of squadrons out there being run on a shoe string personnel budget and that often results in burn out.  Well there are two sides to this problem.  Is the fact that ony 10% of the squadron are doing the work a factor of bad delegation or lack of interest by the other 90%(or 60 if 30 are totally inactive)?

If they don't want to step up and do the job...but they are hanging out and doing the "fun" stuff....take the fun stuff away from them.  If it is an example of bad delegation.....train them and give them a job!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

CLB

Given the chance to manage $400 million worth of aircraft during the week (which I do for a day job) then be trained and play with microwave systems and the global HF network on the weekends talking 1/2 way around the world..........

The SF's would have to pull me out of the chair come 2359 Sunday nights.:D  Yeah...I'd do it. 
Capt Christopher Bishop
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron