What is an "Active Senior Member"

Started by Larry Mangum, December 07, 2010, 06:04:38 PM

Larry Mangum

The SUI Guide under TAB E-1 Commander states that "How many of active senior members have completed the mandatory on-line Equal Opportunity Training (EOT) program ", and CAP36-1 states "All active senior members (to include cadet sponsor, life and 50-year members) shall complete this on-line EOT program".  My question is this how do you define what an "Active Senior Member" is?

I have heard it argued that an active senior member is any member who is not part of the 000 squadron or a patron member.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

JoeTomasone

There are only a two status categories of members (as listed in eServices), ACTIVE and EXPIRED.   Within ACTIVE, there are different TYPES (Life, Patron, Sponsor, etc).    So, if the membership is not expired, they are active.

Larry Mangum

Quote from: JoeTomasone on December 07, 2010, 06:33:39 PM
There are only a two status categories of members (as listed in eServices), ACTIVE and EXPIRED.   Within ACTIVE, there are different TYPES (Life, Patron, Sponsor, etc).    So, if the membership is not expired, they are active.

CAPR 36-1 would seem to suggest that for EO purposes a different definition is being used.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Eclipse

Any senior member not in Patron status is considered "active" from the standpoint of the respective training.

If they are on your rolls, and not patron, the only "fix" for an empty shirt who won't comply is either patron or 000.
Lately I have been hearing some backchannel that NHQ is not happy with the number of members in 000, since those
members have no functional commander, yet can participate at will, also, in some wings the 000 unit is the largest one or in the top 5,
so at least in my wing the push has been to patron the empty shirts instead of 000.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Well, in theory .. they're in "000" because they don't participate. So.. at will to do nothing.

In a perfect world, on paper, anyway.

Eclipse

Actually, that isn't true from a practical or regulatory standpoint, which is part of the problem.

Yes, there are a lot of empty shirts in 000, but there are also far too may members who can't work
and play well with others, and unfortunately the current regs don't allow for disqualifying a member
from active participation, or even ES, just because they are in 000.  You can't even ground a pilot
for that alone (BTDT).

The best you can do is refuse to recertify their existing qualifications, and not approve things like
form 17's and 31's, but if they go triple-zero the day after a passed form 5, they can fly for a year
with no command oversight.

IMHO this is a huge whole in the program, and runs against the spirit of the holding squadron, but
it is what it is.  I would personally like to see some specific verbiage that says 000 is 100% inactive,
or to have another category of membership (i.e. inactive), but as I don't see that happening anytime
soon, so we just need to get better about patron-izing those who can't follow directions and get along.

The single advantage of 000 is that there is no appeal, since it is not a termination or adverse action.

"That Others May Zoom"

Larry Mangum

Hmm, the regs is our friend in this case:  CAPR 39-2, paragraph 3-1.a states: "Active Member. A member who regularly attends meetings, performs a specific duty assignment, meets training requirements, and participates in the activities of his or her unit. An active member may wear the CAP uniform and compete for grade advancement (see CAPR 35-1, Assignment and Duty Status)."

By this definition, if a member does not do those things than, they cannot be counted as an active member and should not be counted against your compliance with EO requirements.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

JoeTomasone

Quote from: ? on December 07, 2010, 09:07:23 PM
Hmm, the regs is our friend in this case:  CAPR 39-2, paragraph 3-1.a states: "Active Member. A member who regularly attends meetings, performs a specific duty assignment, meets training requirements, and participates in the activities of his or her unit. An active member may wear the CAP uniform and compete for grade advancement (see CAPR 35-1, Assignment and Duty Status)."

I stand trumped.   That's what I get for developing a CAPWATCH application.  :)   Too much data, not enough regs....

JohnKachenmeister

Active Senior Member?

Not in a nursing home, has his portable oxygen, carries a few extra colostomy bags, and has a date for the line dancing lesson at the Community Center.

A few of his own teeth left over helps, too.

And has completed the mandatory "Bathroom Safety Briefing."
Another former CAP officer

Eclipse

Quote from: ? on December 07, 2010, 09:07:23 PM

By this definition, if a member does not do those things than, they cannot be counted as an active member and should not be counted against your compliance with EO requirements.

Which is fine if we are normalizing our membership properly and removing empty shirts from the ranks, but many units don't, so you can entertain the conversation you want to - "Why hasn't he done EO?"  or "Why is he still in active status?"

Not showing up to meetings does not relieve the member from mandatory requirements.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I have never heard tell of a member in a 000 who hadn't been seen for months, if not years.  With the launch of the patron program perhaps 000 does need to be discontinued. 

ol'fido

Didn't they used to list members who wished to remain on a certain units roster but was not active(i.e. just sent their dues in every year) as a SUSTAINING member or was that just another term for patron members?
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Larry Mangum

Well the wing IG defines "Active" as: "My interpretation and the answer I got from the knowledgebase is if you are in the active member category of the senior membership of CAP as designated in CAPR 39-2 para 3-1a, then you are required to take the training." 

To me that seem contrary to what the reg says, to restate CAPR 39-2 states: " "Active Member. A member who regularly attends meetings, performs a specific duty assignment, meets training requirements, and participates in the activities of his or her unit."

I guess we see it two different ways...
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Eclipse

Actually, you are both seeing and saying the same thing.  The problem is that there is no "empty shirt" category, so the member is either "active" in the sense that they are attending meetings, blah, blah, or they aren't, in which case they should be put in patron status or 000.

5 of you just raced for the mouse to tell me how "busy" you are, and how you "can't get to meetings, but I fly at encampment, etc..."  Great, thank you, but that doesn't make you an "active" member in the sense quoted above.
The program assumes that people treat CAP a little less "optional" than most "hobbies", and clearly they are no longer interested in having a bunch of uninformed people on the rolls who show up randomly and then have no idea what is going on.

The intent and purpose of CAP is not to provide an occasional social meeting place to complain about the FBO and
how much AV Gas costs, while propping up your personal reputation with all the "service" you are providing to your country as a member.

The current price for having an active ID card is annual dues and some painless on-line training.  If that is too onerous, then your choice is to become a financial supporter

"That Others May Zoom"