What makes a good First Sergeant?

Started by Noah Pluska, March 09, 2018, 03:43:53 AM

Noah Pluska

My squadron had open staff positions a while ago, and while I didnt apply for anything, I was simply appointed to the position of Squadron First Sergeant (most likely because im one of 2 senior ncos, but the only one who is an active member). I understand the basic duties that come with the position (PT, Timekeeping, etc..), but what else might be involved, and what can I do to best succeed in this role.
Thank you for responses.
-C/SMSgt Noah Pluska
PCR-WA-051

Fester

That's a fantastic question to ask your Cadet Commander.  S/he can tell you what expectations they have for you so that you can excel at them!

Congratulations.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

abdsp51

Read the cadet staff handbook.  The first sergeant is not the or a time keeper.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Fester on March 09, 2018, 04:03:26 AM
That's a fantastic question to ask your Cadet Commander.  S/he can tell you what expectations they have for you so that you can excel at them!

This.

You can read all the books, pamphlets, or guidance material available to you. But none of it will make up for what it is that your senior leadership expect from you. If their answer is "Read the book; read your job description," then they're telling you that they expect the textbook First Sergeant. If they say "Well, just keep things in line; keep me informed of any disciplinary issues that you need to address," then they're setting that tone for a more independent, 'enforcer' type. It really depends on the vision that your Cadet Commander and/or Deputy Commander for Cadets is setting.

One of the first rules to taking on a new command-level position is to talk to your immediate staff, both up and down, and get an idea for a tone as well as setting your own. You don't really have your own staff, but get some time to talk to the other NCOs, including those that may be in more lateral posts. Let them have some idea of what you, as First Sergeant, expect from them (helping you to uphold standards, what type of issues they can bring to you), and give them a chance to talk about what they expect from you (your availability, how they can approach you).