Main Menu

CAP and USCG Auxiliary

Started by CAPed Crusader, July 15, 2018, 01:02:54 AM

N6RVT

Quote from: ColonelJack on July 18, 2018, 10:19:28 AM
Quote from: Dwight Dutton on July 17, 2018, 07:53:49 PM
Quote from: ColonelJack on July 15, 2018, 10:58:08 AMA person with two silver bars is a Flotilla Commander, not a lieutenant.  A person with eagles is (in one iteration) a vice commodore, not a captain.  And the head honcho of the organization wears three stars, but he is never called "vice admiral" - he's the National Commodore. And Bob's right ... one's office in USCGAUX does not translate into grade in CAP.

The only office in the USCGAUX that has a title is Commodore - mainly because the active duty doesn't use the title anymore, so there is no confusion.

USCGAUX insignia is based on what job you hold, and in some cases you can actually skip a level CAP uses the same system after O-5. The current Pacific Region commander was never an LTC, for example.

And there's also the note that one's office in the USCGAUX isn't always properly represented by the insignia.  For instance, if one had been at one time an elected Division Vice Commander (gold oak leaf with blue A) and, after that term was up, went back down to flotilla level to serve as an appointed staff officer (gold bar with red A), you could still wear the gold leaf and two-and-a-half stripes as long as you also wore the Past Officer device. I think.

You are correct.  I went from being a flotilla commander to being an ADSO  Same grade, but I technically should either change the "A" from blue to red or wear the past officer device.  Or just keep the service coat on - where there is no difference.

TarRiverRat

I remember when I was in the Auxiliary, if we were going to be working directly with the Coast Guard we were to take off our Flotilla Office Insignia and wear the basic Member insignia instead.  This was when we worked the radios on base or on served on their boats and aircraft.
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

N6RVT

Quote from: TarRiverRat on July 19, 2018, 12:49:58 AM
I remember when I was in the Auxiliary, if we were going to be working directly with the Coast Guard we were to take off our Flotilla Office Insignia and wear the basic Member insignia instead.  This was when we worked the radios on base or on served on their boats and aircraft.

We don't get to use pin on insignia anymore.  Some members tried to get by with Velcro and kept losing stuff.  I have nothing but member insignia on all my ODU (equivalent to CAP's blue BDU) at this point.

Which, given my age - make me look like a full Commander from any more than about 8 ft away.  We really should leave the collar insignia off altogether.