Command Chief Master Sergeant of CAP

Started by PHall, February 04, 2008, 03:09:42 AM

Ned

Quote from: Eclipse on February 05, 2008, 07:04:49 PMNo one has written a single word anywhere that I have seen as to what NCO's would actually do in CAP that is different from officers, and how it would enhance and improve the program.

I have indicated that I cautiously support our NCO program for a couple of practical reasons.

1.  Currently, all of our NCOs have BTDT.  As long as this is true, they gain instant "street cred" when dealing with the RM.  For instance, I have found that it is handy to have a CAP NCO to send over to base logistics to speak with the NCOIC to sort out problems at encampment.  It simply works better than sending over some SM Lt Col, on average.  Obviously, this would change if we altered our NCO appointment rules.

2.  Within the CP world, we train cadet NCOs.  And as long as we teach them about the differences in style and techniques between officer and NCO leadership.  (Direct vs. indirect leadership, etc.) then it can be helpful to have high-speed NCOs to act as trainers, mentors, and role-models for our cadet NCO's.

I'm not sure if these two areas are sufficient justification for significantly changing/broadening our program. 

But there are at least some positive aspects to our current NCO program.

Ned Lee

Flying Pig

So to get back to the topic, since CAP NCOs do not promote, exactly what is the CMSgt of CAP?

I have been in CAP and been a part of CAP since 1986.  I have never met or seen a CAP NCO and had no idea there was a CAP Command Chief.

Was he just the senior NCO Senior Member CAP had?  How did he get that job? 

Pylon

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 05, 2008, 08:08:18 PM
So to get back to the topic, since CAP NCOs do not promote, exactly what is the CMSgt of CAP?

I have been in CAP and been a part of CAP since 1986.  I have never met or seen a CAP NCO and had no idea there was a CAP Command Chief.

Was he just the senior NCO Senior Member CAP had?  How did he get that job? 

The last Chief Master Sergeant of the Civil Air Patrol was a retired Iowa National Guard CMSgt, and a CMSgt in CAP serving at Iowa Wing HQ, who was appointed as CAP's first CMSgtCAP by then-Maj Gen Antonio Pineda and charged with building "CAP's NCO Corps".  I believe Chief Chiafos (the previous CMSgtCAP) posted here several times.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

isuhawkeye

not quite.

the chief was active duty air force and was an E9 with air force OSI.  he joined The Iowa wing after he retired from active duty

oh yeah.  he may have had something to do with the raid on national hq back in the day.  I'm sure others can fill in that little tidbit

DNall

Okay, which thread is which on this discussion. Can we focus the NCOs versus not to that new thread & keep this one to CCM? Plz, for general mod sanity?  :D

pixelwonk

Yes.

The subject of the CMSgt of CAP former or current does not seem to have enough energy to keep from drifting.

Topic split to Change for change sake... CAP grades apart from what we have now
FWIW, This dead horse has been well beaten before, never with any solutions or consensus. 

Edit: URL