Quarterly Meeting Schedule

Started by abysmal, April 26, 2005, 06:54:47 PM

abysmal

I need some help from those of you that have been doing this a LOT longer than I have.
I am working on our next quarterly schedule and would very much like some input on how I can make it better for the cadets.

I have been given the following guidance from my commander.
We work on a monthly basis, so ALL meeting requirements WILL be met each & every calender month.
There will be..
1 night dedicated to the CPFT
1 night dedicated to Aerospace Education & Achievement Testing

Then I need to cover everything else in the other 2 weeks.
Moral Leadership
Leadership Laboratory
Drill & Ceremonies
Safety Breifing
Special Training.

And all of this needs to happen with in the confines of a 2 hour meeting block.
This is my first feeble attempt, and it has some major holes in it so far...

May
2   Formal Uniform Inspection, Drill, Team Building, Ect..
9   Aerospace Module 5, and Testing.
16   Physical Fitness Testing, Boot Shining Class (meeting ends early at 2045hrs)
23   Moral Leadership, Safety Briefing, Drill & CAP CD Leadership Games
30   NO MEETING-Memorial Day

June
6   Formal Uniform Inspection, Drill, Team Building, Ect..
13   Aerospace Module  6, and Testing.
20   Physical Fitness Testing, Uniform Ironing (meeting ends early at 2045hrs)
27   Moral Leadership, Safety Briefing, Drill & CAP CD Leadership Games

July
4   NO MEETING, Independence Day.
11   Aerospace Module  1, and Testing.
18   Physical Fitness Testing, Patch & Insignia Sewing Class (meeting ends early  at 2045hrs)
25   Moral Leadership, Safety Briefing, Drill & CAP CD Leadership Games

August
1   Formal Uniform Inspection, Drill, Team Building, Ect..
8   Aerospace Module  2, and Testing.
15   Physical Fitness Testing, "TBA" Activity (meeting ends early at 2045hrs)
22   Moral Leadership, Safety Briefing, Drill & CAP CD Leadership Games
29   Squadron Party Night, USAF Recruiter Presentation.
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

MIKE

Why end early on CPFT nights?  Perhaps add some other fun activity to fill the remaining time... Maybe sports, maybe something entirely different.

Why do AE modules when your AEO could plan a fun activity from AEX etc that could get your unit recognized for AE?  Make AE fun, not lame.  ;D

Have required stuff scheduled consistently from month to month but, mix it up a bit... Don't do ML and safety on the same night... Don't do all your leadership or team building stuff on the same night either.

Inspections are good... Would you consider alternating service uniforms (blues)/BDUs each month?

Mike Johnston

abysmal

Quote from: MIKE on April 26, 2005, 08:18:02 PM
Why end early on CPFT nights?  Perhaps add some other fun activity to fill the remaining time... Maybe sports, maybe something entirely different.

Only because the commander will not allow me to use the full meeting time.
He wants the Cadets out of there early on PT nights, as that has been a LONG standing tradition.
The Cadets have NO problem with staying for the full two hours though.
So we came to a compromise..

Why do AE modules when your AEO could plan a fun activity from AEX etc that could get your unit recognized for AE?  Make AE fun, not lame.  ;D

I am WIDE open to input here.
The commander has always had an AE module taught just before testing as a way of increasing the number of cadets that pass the test. On the theory that we JUST went over the material a few minutes ago..

Have required stuff scheduled consistently from month to month but, mix it up a bit... Don't do ML and safety on the same night... Don't do all your leadership or team building stuff on the same night either.

Thus far the ML and Safety presentations I have seen have only lasted a FEW minutes at best..
So there is LOTS of room for improvement.

Inspections are good... Would you consider alternating service uniforms (blues)/BDUs each month?

I sure would!

MIKE

Quote from: abysmal on April 27, 2005, 01:18:28 AM
Thus far the ML and Safety presentations I have seen have only lasted a FEW minutes at best..
So there is LOTS of room for improvement.

Quote from: CAPR 52-161-2. e. 2) The moral leadership program should be conducted at least once a month for approximately 1 hour. To
advance in grade, cadets will participate in at least half of the moral leadership forums offered since the completion of
the last achievement. Cadet discussion leaders and recorders should be given prior notice of their roles to allow them
time to adequately prepare.

An hour may be wishful thinking, but a few minutes is far to short.
Mike Johnston

arajca

Quote from: abysmal on April 27, 2005, 01:18:28 AM

I am WIDE open to input here.
The commander has always had an AE module taught just before testing as a way of increasing the number of cadets that pass the test. On the theory that we JUST went over the material a few minutes ago..

Since the minimum time between achievements is two months, suggest that an AE module be taught every other month and an AEX II or other AE project be done in between. Still offer the testing, but keep AE interesting. Cadets will do better on tests if the subject holds their interest. Besides, completing the AEX II program can get your unit money. My former sqdn (a SENIOR sqdn) completed the AEX II program each year I was there and received $200- $300 each year!

abysmal

Is it to late in the year to just now be getting started on the whole AEX program??

arajca

Check on the National AE site. They changed some of the rules about AEX II.

whatevah

another thing to consider... back WIWAC, I as the Cadet Commander was responsible for setting 3 month, 6 month and 12 month goals.  Once a quarter, my staff and I would meet at the local burger joint and take over a table for an hour or two and plan out the next three months and use the goals to help shape the schedules.

If you have a specific end result, it'll help with picking more interesting classes and activities.

As a note, I don't see any Leadership/Followership classes in the schedule.  I see some activities, but no formal classes.  A class/discussion or two on leadership principles would probably be a very good idea.  Perhaps play a short clip from a military movie and talk about the leadership and followership techniques used.

My squadron usually scheduled the boring stuff on Blues night (first meeting of the month) because those usually don't require a lot of activity that could get the uniforms dirty. We'd do inspections every uniform night, though. For the first 15-20 minutes of the meetings were the opening formation and inspections.  That'd usually give enough time to set up any classrooms or get the tests pulled and in the testing room.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

abysmal

Quote from: whatevah on April 27, 2005, 04:27:53 PM
another thing to consider... back WIWAC, I as the Cadet Commander was responsible for setting 3 month, 6 month and 12 month goals.  Once a quarter, my staff and I would meet at the local burger joint and take over a table for an hour or two and plan out the next three months and use the goals to help shape the schedules.

If you have a specific end result, it'll help with picking more interesting classes and activities.

As a note, I don't see any Leadership/Followership classes in the schedule.  I see some activities, but no formal classes.  A class/discussion or two on leadership principles would probably be a very good idea.  Perhaps play a short clip from a military movie and talk about the leadership and followership techniques used.

My squadron usually scheduled the boring stuff on Blues night (first meeting of the month) because those usually don't require a lot of activity that could get the uniforms dirty. We'd do inspections every uniform night, though. For the first 15-20 minutes of the meetings were the opening formation and inspections.  That'd usually give enough time to set up any classrooms or get the tests pulled and in the testing room.

What you see, for the most part, is right from my Cadet Staff.
Its now my job to go through it and refine it into something that will really work well for everyone.

The Admiral

Here's what we do, we just start at 1830 and end near 2030.

1st Thursday - Flight Time, Moral Leadership
2nd Thursday - CPFT
3rd Thursday - Flight Time, Aerospace Education, Testing
4th Thursday - Flight Time, Leadership, Safety Briefing

D&C is done in flight time.  On a 5th Thurday, we well have a squadron activity, color guard & drill team stuff, or a dining out.

We usually get 45 minutes of flight time and 75 minutes of instructional time.
Cross into the Blue!