Observations of a Cadet turned SM on Senior Membership.

Started by Майор Хаткевич, August 10, 2011, 12:41:29 PM

Майор Хаткевич

I was told that I had to report back here by my Squadron Commander after doing a SM open ranks inspection. I believe there was a total of 18 SMs in the formation. The most common mistake was the gig-line. The major "eye sore" mistakes typically get pounced on before a member has enough time wear the uniform that way twice.

Eclipse

If the only thing standing out is gig-line on 18 seniors, you're doing pretty good.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on August 17, 2011, 11:46:25 PM
If the only thing standing out is gig-line on 18 seniors, you're doing pretty good.

Full disclosure: A good percentage were newer members, thus wore the Polo combo. :P

Eclipse

CHEATERS!

(Though you gots to woik pretty hard to get your gig line wrong with a golf shirt!)

"That Others May Zoom"

PWK-GT

With monthly surprise ORI's, let's go 2-outta-3 Mike ;)
"Is it Friday yet"

bosshawk

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Dragon 3-2

Quote from: Eclipse on August 16, 2011, 10:52:28 PM
Quote from: Dragon 3-2 on August 16, 2011, 10:48:27 PMActually sir once I get back from basic training, I'll be adding that and Deputy Commander for Seniors as well.

You're going to need a bigger monitor for that graphic.

Any particular reason you need to have that many jobs?

http://tinyurl.com/hup5s

because im good at being an AEO, and no one else in my squadron knows how to navigate the underworld of senior member PD. I am also the testing officer, leadership officer, and Operations officer.

Captain  Steven Smith
Aerospace Education Officer
NJ-102 Plainfield Red Falcons
Eaker #2089
2009 NJWG / NER Dragon Drill Team

Dragon 3-2

Quote from: zonaman on August 17, 2011, 02:11:18 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 16, 2011, 10:52:28 PM
Quote from: Dragon 3-2 on August 16, 2011, 10:48:27 PMActually sir once I get back from basic training, I'll be adding that and Deputy Commander for Seniors as well.

You're going to need a bigger monitor for that graphic.

Any particular reason you need to have that many jobs?

http://tinyurl.com/hup5s

It may be that his squadron needs that much help.
My squadron had most of the seniors with 3 to 4 jobs just so we could function. We buckled down on recruiting, now it's not a problem.

I will agree that to many jobs on one person is not good. No matter how talented, go-getter, can-do, etc. you are, unnecessary stress and a slow down of quality will result.

Dragon 3-2,
I'm not saying you cant do it, I'm just saying its a lot. I'm in the AZ Guard, with RSP Drill Weekends and CAP, of which I was Deputy Commander of Seniors, Safety Officer, Transportation, and Assistant Supply Officer, I was pretty busy. I no longer have those positions because I am getting ready to leave for BCT, and we finally have more seniors!!!!!. As far as you in the Guard, that's awesome, whats your MOS?.

I'm taking DCS after BCT, but I was going to be a 15D ( helo powertrain repair) but im trying to switch to 31B

Captain  Steven Smith
Aerospace Education Officer
NJ-102 Plainfield Red Falcons
Eaker #2089
2009 NJWG / NER Dragon Drill Team

Eclipse

What are they doing while you will be gone?   No one else there interested in cracking a reg or asking questions?

It's not supposed to be an "Army of One".

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on August 23, 2011, 07:53:47 PM
What are they doing while you will be gone?   No one else there interested in cracking a reg or asking questions?

It's not supposed to be an "Army of One".

It's "Army Strong" these days, isn't it

EMT-83

Quote from: Dragon 3-2 on August 23, 2011, 07:30:04 PM
... no one else in my squadron knows how to navigate the underworld of senior member PD.

?? PD is pretty simple - even I can figure it out.

flyboy53

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 10, 2011, 12:41:29 PM
I've now been to a whole FOUR Squadron meetings as a SM.

So far, these are the observations I've made:

SMs aren't really required to participate in much outside of the required training. I could come in to the meeting, do the opening formation (or not), and then just drop in on various unit activities throughout the night.

Because SMs aren't really required to do much, or are focusing on a particular track, training, project, you may not see them there every week. Our squadron ran an Observer course that just recently ended. The weekly attendance dropped drastically on the SM side of the house.

A lot of SMs wear Field and Dress Uniforms, not many of them wear them properly, or well. As a former cadet, and an HGA attendee, proper uniform wear is my thing. I've fixed some issues when I find them with cadets, but I've pretty much keep my mouth closed for the SM side of the house. Part of that is that I'll disengage again once classes start up on September 7th, and as a non-staff, "just here for the Summer" member, I don't have the authority or the place really to correct all of the issues. I'm sure some folks will jump on me for this, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to wear their uniforms properly if they choose to wear them.

I'll add more to this as I observe more.

I'm glad that you see the differences. Don't let these differences, however, cloud your thought process and make it seem that cadets are better trained than senior members. It's just that the focus is a lot different.

If uniform issues are the major sticking point, my suggestion for you is that you advise your commander and than set about to change the behavior by taking each senior member aside and advising them of their error. Those are small but significant issues that are doors of opportunity into other concerns.

If you haven't found out already, you're about to see that the senior member side of things is more about balancing the needs of the organization with personal and professional lives.

Years ago, I transitioned from cadet to senior member, but back when there was an enlisted program. I found myself being the young guy with all the energy correcting uniform issues, personnel records, administration issues, and an assortment of other things. I was in college, too.

You have a golden opportunity to make an major impact on your unit. Good Luck!

Майор Хаткевич

We've done two ORIs now. The results were pretty good, with formations of at least 16+ SMs in each.. For whatever (numerous) reasons, I'm known as a uniform stickler. I don't expect people to sew in creases (I don't do this either). Or Starch their uniforms into stone figurines of glory (I don't do this either). But I will let someone know discretely if their laces are sticking out, if their gig line is off, if their ribbons are off, etc. It's the small things that add up to proper wear and uniformity. Anything on top is extra, and usually, as you said, outside the time parameters professionals have when working a 9 to 5 and volunteering for CAP.

I've been to SIX meetings now, and have only two left until night classes steal me away for the (final) year. After that I hope to move back to the unit area, get transportation, and re-engage. Cadet Programs are obviously an interest. Public Affairs always interested me, so I may pursue that while unable to participate at the meetings even. ES (just got UDF Trainee signed off again) for the most part will have to wait a year until trying to get my GTM back to active status.

I was worried initially, about what I'm going to do as a SM. Cadet Programs made sense, but typically even the CP Officers are doing other jobs at the unit. I think now I've figured out that there's plenty of opportunities, and will look forward to getting into the thick of it. As a side note, already down 9lbs since late July/early August, so 28 more lbs, and I may put my BDUs/Blues back on. Same set I wore as a cadet.

flyboy53

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 24, 2011, 12:46:21 PM
We've done two ORIs now. The results were pretty good, with formations of at least 16+ SMs in each.. For whatever (numerous) reasons, I'm known as a uniform stickler. I don't expect people to sew in creases (I don't do this either). Or Starch their uniforms into stone figurines of glory (I don't do this either). But I will let someone know discretely if their laces are sticking out, if their gig line is off, if their ribbons are off, etc. It's the small things that add up to proper wear and uniformity. Anything on top is extra, and usually, as you said, outside the time parameters professionals have when working a 9 to 5 and volunteering for CAP.

I've been to SIX meetings now, and have only two left until night classes steal me away for the (final) year. After that I hope to move back to the unit area, get transportation, and re-engage. Cadet Programs are obviously an interest. Public Affairs always interested me, so I may pursue that while unable to participate at the meetings even. ES (just got UDF Trainee signed off again) for the most part will have to wait a year until trying to get my GTM back to active status.

I was worried initially, about what I'm going to do as a SM. Cadet Programs made sense, but typically even the CP Officers are doing other jobs at the unit. I think now I've figured out that there's plenty of opportunities, and will look forward to getting into the thick of it. As a side note, already down 9lbs since late July/early August, so 28 more lbs, and I may put my BDUs/Blues back on. Same set I wore as a cadet.

Your level uniform scrutiny doesn't seem overboard to me. You're right, however, that it's the small stuff that counts. You start with the small stuff and the big stuff is already partially corrected.

It also seems that your unit is progressing along the right track.

As far as cadet programs. It's a good choice, because it's still fresh in your memory. Expect to be groomed for a deputy commander of cadets at some point in the future, because a lot of senior members don't have that experience.

As far as PAO or other emergency services ratings: During my career as a senior member, I started initially in communicaations. It was a good fit because I had a third class radio telephone license at the time (it was how I was promoted to second lieutenant). But over my career, I've broadened out to hold masters ratings in Cadet Programs, AE and Public Affairs (my college degrees and professional experience) and a senior rating as a historian. You will find that you pursue something else over a period of time not only because of burn-out, but because of need. There is always a need somewhere. You will also find that it broadens your experience if you ever chose to take a command slot.

It's also always important to pursue an ES rating. These days, with the emphasis on homeland security and disaster response, there's always a place for people to do something at a mission base. Ground Team is ok, just not my favorite because I was in security forces in the Air Force -- I had enough time living in tents or in the field. However, its a great place for cadets to give them a sense of responsibility and pride of accomplishment.

Good Luck!

Майор Хаткевич

Ahem,

Weighted myself today, so 10lbs down, 27 more to go. At this rate, I should be able to wear blues to the end of the year banquet. We'll see.

I just need to get through another year of CAPTalk instead of participation, and then things should be better.