Flight Sergeant Board

Started by vesryn, April 14, 2016, 12:27:58 AM

vesryn

Our Flight Sergeant position has been empty for some time at our squadron, and it is the shared opinion of myself and the Senior Command staff at the squadron that two cadets in particular are mature and responsible enough for the position.

We have a board planned to determine which of the two cadets will earn the position. However, we have never held a formal board like this. Are there any suggestions from squadrons that do this more regularly? Both are low/mid-Phase I high phase I - low phase II cadets of the same grade.

edit: correction of phase

Eaker #3363
NYWG Encampment Cadet Commander 2018
NYWG Encampment '13, '14, '15, '18, '19

NC Hokie

Quote from: Trenzalorian on April 14, 2016, 12:27:58 AM
Our Flight Sergeant position has been empty for some time at our squadron, and it is the shared opinion of myself and the Senior Command staff at the squadron that two cadets in particular are mature and responsible enough for the position.

We have a board planned to determine which of the two cadets will earn the position. However, we have never held a formal board like this. Are there any suggestions from squadrons that do this more regularly? Both are low/mid-Phase I cadets of the same grade.

A low/mid Phase I cadet is an Airman or Airman First Class.  Did you mean to say that they are low/mid Phase II cadets?
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

vesryn

Quote from: NC Hokie on April 14, 2016, 12:58:09 AM
Quote from: Trenzalorian on April 14, 2016, 12:27:58 AM

We have a board planned to determine which of the two cadets will earn the position. However, we have never held a formal board like this. Are there any suggestions from squadrons that do this more regularly? Both are low/mid-Phase I cadets of the same grade.

A low/mid Phase I cadet is an Airman or Airman First Class.  Did you mean to say that they are low/mid Phase II cadets?

My bad, didn't notice that. They're high P1/ Low P2 cadets
Eaker #3363

Eclipse

You don't need a board, the P2 cadet should get the job, and should have had it for a while.

"That Others May Zoom"

vesryn

Quote from: Eclipse on April 14, 2016, 01:08:51 AM
You don't need a board, the P2 cadet should get the job, and should have had it for a while.

The cadets are of the same grade and have been in the program a roughly equal amount of time.
Eaker #3363

Eclipse

I read that as one was P1 and one was P2 - they can't be both, they are either one or the other.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

So are they high P1 or low P2? You can't be in two phases at once, you're either an airman or an NCO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vesryn

I had my reasons for anonymizing the cadets' grade beyond the scope of this discussion, but in this case they're both C/SSgts.
Eaker #3363

Eclipse

In a squadron as smal as your would appear to be, and considering that you are posting here in by name,
it's doubtful anyone tuning in from your unit would be unable to figure out who you are talking about.
If you've got enough C/NCOs that there is a real question, then you have more work to do then just these cadets.

You need to be busting them out into individual flights, elements, etc., to give them the chance to do "NCO stuff",
and get to recruiting more new guys.

With that said, this is probably a case where "rank" actually should come into play (i.e. whoever has had their grade
longer gets the job) with the plan being to move them up as soon as you can to give the other cadet a chance.

At this level, they are not expected to be doing much, if any "strategic" thinking about the squadron, so assuming
their performance, program knowledge, bearing and general ability is roughly equal, questions like "what are your plans for the squadron",
etc., etc., like you might ask an officer are going to be irrelevant, since they are in pusher mode, with the leadership expectations
being primarily "follower".

If these aren't the highest NCOs you have, then the higher ones should gotten the job.

"That Others May Zoom"