Getting started with SDAs

Started by UWONGO2, April 27, 2010, 12:32:32 PM

UWONGO2

I'm a new senior member who is working with the cadet program. I've been assigned to work with the cadet officers on their SDAs. This is somewhat uncharted ground for the squadron as apparenty we haven't had many officers in recent history, so we're all learning this progression together. 

I have a 2d Lt who is working on phase 2. If I understand CAPP 52-14 correctly, the cadet has the option of completing the 4-6 week staff service in one if three areas, one of which is a cadet position not tied to a traditional mentorship with a senior member. The cadet is already serving as a flight commander, so it's not surprising that is the option the cadet chose.

The question was raised however that the requirement to participate in the orientation program actually pulls the cadet away from their flight commander duties. We're not that big, so it's not like we could temporarily assign a flight commander to cover the position. 

I'd prefer the cadets chose staff service positions that paired them with seniors since we have them available, but teenagers are like electrons - they like to choose the path with the least resistance. :)

Any guidance in this area would be appreciated. (Please be gentle, I'm new)

Al Sayre

They get to choose, but they have to meet the standard.  I'd recommend that you review the requirements in the SDA Manual with the cadet.  Picking the flight Commander is great because in doing that SDA correctly many cadets find out what they were doing as Flight Commander was wrong.  Most see the position as a glorified flight sergeant, and act that way.  The real flight commander has numerous responsibilities (see CAPR 20-1), and he should be performing all of them in order to complete the staff service activity.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Ozzy

Well each squadron usually has their own way of orientating new cadets. The current CAPP 52-9 is dated April 2008 and is a bit different then the 1998 version that was still being used in 2003 when the SDA pamphlet was updated.

What I ended up doing was for a two month-block, in addition to my flight commander duties, was to help integrate new cadets / prospective cadets into the flight/squadron and cadet life. I ended up doing one or two general knowledge / C&C classes and a uniform class. I also taught them their chain of command and gave them an overview of the CAP missions. Basically, I did everything that the 'great-start' program does in six weeks -in two weeks with the rest of the time mentoring them with help of my element leaders and flight sergeant.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Nathan

Quote from: UWONGO2 on April 27, 2010, 12:32:32 PM
I'm a new senior member who is working with the cadet program. I've been assigned to work with the cadet officers on their SDAs. This is somewhat uncharted ground for the squadron as apparenty we haven't had many officers in recent history, so we're all learning this progression together.

I have a 2d Lt who is working on phase 2. If I understand CAPP 52-14 correctly, the cadet has the option of completing the 4-6 week staff service in one if three areas, one of which is a cadet position not tied to a traditional mentorship with a senior member. The cadet is already serving as a flight commander, so it's not surprising that is the option the cadet chose.

The question was raised however that the requirement to participate in the orientation program actually pulls the cadet away from their flight commander duties. We're not that big, so it's not like we could temporarily assign a flight commander to cover the position.

I'd prefer the cadets chose staff service positions that paired them with seniors since we have them available, but teenagers are like electrons - they like to choose the path with the least resistance. :)

Any guidance in this area would be appreciated. (Please be gentle, I'm new)

SDA's are fun, because they don't have the "right/wrong" answer system that most of the tests have. That means that you have a lot of discretion in what can be considered a passable fulfillment of the duties.

Orientation is something that every squadron does a little different. Some squadrons have an entire flight dedicated toward training, which would be ideal, since you could just stick the cadet in charge of that flight for a bit.

But just remember that as long as you feel that the cadets have been sufficiently "oriented", then you're good to go.

Also, if I recall correctly (it's been a while), the staff service only has to be done once per phase, before completion of the phase. Phase III is completed with the Earhart, which means that your cadet has a little while to complete the staff service, as long as he/she does it before trying to get C/Capt. That gives you a lot of time to work with, whether that's in finding someone who can temporarily take over the duties of the cadet, or even better yet, spreading the orientation out over a few different cadets. I don't have the pamphlet easily available, but if the requirement isn't to orient one cadet from start to finish, then that means that your cadet only has to hit all of the different stations at some point, which can be a little more manageable.

I'll try to take a closer look at the requirements and such when I get off of work.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: UWONGO2 on April 27, 2010, 12:32:32 PM
I have a 2d Lt who is working on phase 2.

The others have offered sound advice, and I can't really add much to it.  But, just to clarify, the C/2d Lt is actually working on Phase 3.  Earning the Mitchell signified the completion of Phase 2.

Keep up the great work and thank you for supporting cadets.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

UWONGO2

My thanks to everyone for your helpful comments (and Jimmy for your correction). I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way.

coudano

I've always treated the flight commander staff service as being partnered with the Leadership Officer on the senior member side.

The flight commander's role is actually mostly indirect leadership, so in a lot of ways they are working behind the scene.  the flight sergeant should be doing most(all) of the direct hands-on stuff.  So not  being in front of the troops 100% of the time shouldn't hurt the flight commander's ability to meet his responsibilities, as long as he can continue to work with his flight sergeant to make sure the duties of taking care of the flight are met.