Miniature Medal Mounting

Started by Capt Thompson, July 25, 2020, 06:05:20 PM

Capt Thompson

I've been looking online for a decent tutorial for mounting miniature medals. I've found a few for mounting to a single bar, but haven't found any for multiple rows. Has anyone come across a decent one they could point me to? I obviously won't need them for a while, but I have some extra time on my hands right now and figured it was a project I could tackle.

For those that have them mounted, I see VG offers mounting service. Does anyone here have experience with their work? Do they look professional like what you would expect from Ultrathin, or do they just grab them off the shelf and slide them on bars?
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

baronet68

I would personally recommend the McChord Rack Builder for all of your miniature medal arranging needs.

No personal experience with VG's mounting service.  I've had good luck with UltraThin for ribbons but never used them for miniature medals.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

TeamBronx

Did these for the new blazer rules.  Vanguard mounted them pretty quickly.  Comparable to stuff I've had done at Ultrathin.  Medals.doc

JC004

Quote from: TeamBronx on July 26, 2020, 01:35:36 PMDid these for the new blazer rules.  Vanguard mounted them pretty quickly.  Comparable to stuff I've had done at Ultrathin.  Medals.doc

Earhart cadets FTW. 

Capt Thompson

Quote from: baronet68 on July 26, 2020, 04:15:14 AMI would personally recommend the McChord Rack Builder for all of your miniature medal arranging needs.

No personal experience with VG's mounting service.  I've had good luck with UltraThin for ribbons but never used them for miniature medals.

I like that they added the mini medals and also the Ultrathin codes to the McChord rack builder, whoever maintains that site puts in a considerable amount of effort!
Capt Matt Thompson

Capt Thompson

Quote from: TeamBronx on July 26, 2020, 01:35:36 PMDid these for the new blazer rules.  Vanguard mounted them pretty quickly.  Comparable to stuff I've had done at Ultrathin.  Medals.doc

Thank you, may I ask what VG charged for the mounting? Did you send any of the medals in to them that you previously owned, or were they all new purchases?
Capt Matt Thompson

kcebnaes

Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Great Lakes Region sUAS Officer
Various Other Things™

Capt Thompson

Quote from: kcebnaes on July 27, 2020, 01:36:58 PM
Quote from: TeamBronx on July 26, 2020, 01:35:36 PMDid these for the new blazer rules. 

New rules??

For the semi-formal blazer combination, rather than just 1 miniature medal you are now permitted to wear all CAP miniatures, but military medals can still only be worn on the Air Force style mess dress.
Capt Matt Thompson

Capt Thompson

Quote4.1.2.4. Medals. Miniature medals may be worn centered above the pocket so that the bottom
portion of the medals are ½ inch above the CAP Crest or service badge. Only CAP Miniature Medals
may be worn. Either full size or miniature attachments (clasps, stars, etc.) many be worn on the miniature
medals; however, all devices will be the same size. Wear all, some, or none.

Also, chapter 11 authorizes wear on civilian suits and tuxedos:

Quote11.5. Policy for Wear of CAP Awards Decorations on Civilian Attire. Members may wear CAP
miniature medals on a civilian tuxedo or business suit for formal occasions. Female members may wear
miniature medals on equivalent formal dress. No other wear of CAP Awards and Decorations on civilian
attire is authorized
Capt Matt Thompson

kcebnaes

Shoooot. How did I miss that one?! That's kinda cool.
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Various Other Things™

Capt Thompson

Quote from: kcebnaes on July 27, 2020, 02:26:27 PMShoooot. How did I miss that one?! That's kinda cool.
Here's the 5 March manual: https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/CAPR_039_001_5_Mar_2020__6EA485E9593C8.pdf

There was a pretty lengthy thread back when the new reg dropped. I was surprised I didn't get more responses to this thread, as a lot of Seniors who previously could only wear a single medal will now be able to wear the full set and will most likely want to have them mounted, but then it did come about at the beginning of COVID and not many have had a chance to wear their blazers in a while.
Capt Matt Thompson

kcebnaes

Normally, I would be in that boat too. But so far I've worn my blazer three times (Wing Change of Command, and two Legislative Days.) I haven't had the chance to wear the "semi-formal" option at all.
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Various Other Things™

Eclipse

I'll probably pass - ~$200 for the medals, devices, and bars, for something I >might< get to
wear once a year.

Another defeat snatched from the jaws of victory by NHW - would it really be that big a deal
to just allow the normal ribbons?

Then there's that little issue of the AW-FOUI that's not allowed to be worn...

"That Others May Zoom"

Capt Thompson

Quote from: Eclipse on July 27, 2020, 05:36:42 PMI'll probably pass - ~$200 for the medals, devices, and bars, for something I >might< get to
wear once a year.

Another defeat snatched from the jaws of victory by NHW - would it really be that big a deal

I agree, at least it's a step in the right direction though, maybe eventually they'll make concessions for the ribbons.

The reg says all, some or none, so you could always short stack the medals, leave in your highest Cadet and Senior awards and anything you're really proud of like a citation or achievement award, and leave out the "congrats you passed Level I" and similar medals that everyone has.

When I initially transitioned from Cadet to Senior I picked up the few medals that carried over and threw them in a drawer, assuming I would wear them someday, and then any time I earned something new I would order it the next time I needed something from VG, so I have almost all of mine sitting in a box waiting to be mounted. I could see where starting from scratch would be a bit price prohibitive, especially with the VG markup.
Capt Matt Thompson

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on July 27, 2020, 05:36:42 PMI'll probably pass - ~$200 for the medals, devices, and bars, for something I >might< get to
wear once a year.

Miniature Medals on a Blazer are worn for formal occasions. Just like miniature medals worn on Mess Dress are worn for formal occasions.
Ribbons are for day to day wear.

Eclipse

^ You missed the point almost as hard as NHQ did.

The number of times the average member needs something "formal", in this context,
is near zero.

The number of times they need to match their peers is often.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on July 27, 2020, 10:34:55 PM^ You missed the point almost as hard as NHQ did.

The number of times the average member needs something "formal", in this context,
is near zero.

The number of times they need to match their peers is often.

About the ONLY times I see the Blazer being worn is during formal events.
Sweaters and windbreakers seem to be what is worn during day to day activities.

Eclipse

All members are equal, right?

Except the ones who get to stand next to their peers in a service
coat while they wear a shirt and tie, or worse, the real estate jacket.

And we've all accepted the fact that at least 50% (probably more) of
the adult membership are not allowed to wear USAF styles.

NHQ had an opportunity to make a decent compromise, but instead chose to
go with something that seemed like a good idea at the time, but ultimately
doesn't really help.  In 20 years I've been to about 3 events that were
appropriate to "semi-formal", and I'm probably on the mid-range of most members.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on July 28, 2020, 02:49:24 AMAll members are equal, right?

Except the ones who get to stand next to their peers in a service
coat while they wear a shirt and tie, or worse, the real estate jacket.

And we've all accepted the fact that at least 50% (probably more) of
the adult membership are not allowed to wear USAF styles.

NHQ had an opportunity to make a decent compromise, but instead chose to
go with something that seemed like a good idea at the time, but ultimately
doesn't really help.  In 20 years I've been to about 3 events that were
appropriate to "semi-formal", and I'm probably on the mid-range of most members.

NHQ has no say on the matter of who can wear the USAF style uniforms. CAP-USAF calls the shots on that.
And they said you must meet the CAP height and weight standards to wear them.
Of course they could just say that only cadets can wear the USAF style uniforms and end the "problem".

Capt Thompson

Steering slightly back on topic, does anyone know the length a miniature medal is supposed to hang, from the top of the bar to the bottom of the planchet? I can find in the regs the maximum length of the mounting bar, but not how far the medal should drape.
Capt Matt Thompson

MSgt Van

CARP39-1  11.2.8.Wear of Miniature Medals on the Mess Dress and Corporate Semiformal Uniforms.
Miniature medals will be worn as shown in Table 11-1. When fewer than five miniature medals are worn,
all will be fully exposed. If more than four are worn on one row, each medal may equally overlap the
medal to the left but the overlap will not exceed 50%; the medal nearest the lapel will be fully exposed.
Upper rows will be placed to cover approximately 50% of the ribbon portion of the medals in the row
below

It doesn't state how long the total ribbon is. Most are of a standard size although I've got a couple AF medals that hang a bit longer than all others. I removed the mounting bar and re-tucked the ribbon to get it to the standard length.

Capt Thompson

You would think they would be a standard length, but the ones from VG are anything but standard, my longest is 2 3/8" and shortest is 2 1/8" and the others fall somewhere in between, with no two being exactly the same. Doesn't seem like much but 1/4" difference is very noticeable on two medals hanging next to each other.

I wonder, if I were to buy actual Air Force or Army medals from somewhere other than VG, if they would all be the same length, and if so, what length would they be?
Capt Matt Thompson

Capt Thompson

The plot thickens.....below is an email I received a few minutes ago from Vanguard:

Quote from: undefinedMiniature medals (ribbon drape/medallion) have an overall size of 2 ¼" plus or minus 1/16".  When mounting medals, the length of the ribbon drape and medal are for total length across all of the base of the mounted medals per each row.  Yes, some ribbon drapes would be shorter because the medal at the bottom is larger or more ornate.

If you would like mounting:

The price for (Ultra-Thin) mini medal mounting with mini medals provided by customer is:

mini medal mounting = $8.90 each medal

attachment per medal=$1.50 each attachment

$8.95 (shipping/handling) and any applicable taxes

_____________________OR__________________________

The price for (Ultra-Thin) mini medal mounting with mini medals provided by Vanguard is:

Mini Medals at (approximately- depending on each medal, the price might be higher) $9.00 per medal

mini medal mounting= $8.90 each medals

attachment per medal =$1.50 each attachment

$8.95 (shipping/handling) and any applicable taxes

(ETA time frame for mounting will be two weeks after the order has been placed.)

So is big V sending the medals off to Ultrathin for mounting, and then charging more than double? I just spoke with Ultrathin, and if I purchase the medals from VG and send them in, they will mount them for $4 a medal, 60 cents per star attachment, 75 cents per tri-prop clasp, and shipping is $7.95.

At least I got my measurement question answered, 2.25 inches from the top of the ribbon to the bottom of the medallion, so if I mount them myself I have all of the specs, and if I decide to have them mounted I can skip VG and go straight to Ultrathin.
Capt Matt Thompson

SarDragon

WIWOAD, I was the recipient of a few medals, and none of them were the same length. It seemed to be a "whatever length it is when it's assembled" situation. They came from different vendors. When I had them mounted, they put new ribbons on, anyway.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Straight up?  I have never been able to figure out how that Ultra Thin rack builder works.

"That Others May Zoom"

Capt Thompson

Quote from: Eclipse on July 28, 2020, 09:46:13 PMStraight up?  I have never been able to figure out how that Ultra Thin rack builder works.

It's definitely not the most intuitive interface I've ever used, luckily their customer service is outstanding, you can email or call and they will set up your order for you.

Are you familiar with the McChord Rack Builder? Whoever programs that recently added the Ultrathin code to the site, so when you build your rack there is a box with the correct Ultrathin code, so you can copy and paste directly into Ultrathin's order form or an email.
Capt Matt Thompson

SarDragon

Quote from: Capt Thompson on July 28, 2020, 11:12:39 PM<redacted>

Are you familiar with the McChord Rack Builder? Whoever programs that recently added the Ultrathin code to the site, so when you build your rack there is a box with the correct Ultrathin code, so you can copy and paste directly into Ultrathin's order form or an email.

That would be out very own baronet68! He has thrown in about 40 selfless plugs for his fine product over the years.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Capt Thompson

Quote from: SarDragon on July 28, 2020, 11:22:35 PM

That would be out very own baronet68! He has thrown in about 40 selfless plugs for his fine product over the years.

Well it's an outstanding site!
Capt Matt Thompson

baronet68

Quote from: Capt Thompson on July 28, 2020, 11:42:09 PM

Thanks!  I'm glad you like the updates.   ;D
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Eclipse

McChord is the one and only, all others are pretenders to the throne!

I hadn't noticed the Ultrathin codie thingie.

"That Others May Zoom"

Paul Creed III

Quote from: baronet68 on July 29, 2020, 12:11:17 AM

I didn't know about the UltraThin update either! This is totally awesome!!!!
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

Paul Creed III

Quote from: Paul Creed III on July 29, 2020, 01:14:38 PM
Quote from: baronet68 on July 29, 2020, 12:11:17 AM

I didn't know about the UltraThin update either! This is totally awesome!!!!

Anyone have the secret sauce on pasting the UltraThin codes into their site? I can paste in the codes, but the order form doesn't seem to retain anything and thinks that no ribbons have been added.

Capt Thompson

Paul, don't paste directly into the order form, click the button that says "Click here to see, choose and arrange your ribbons." On the page that pops up, add the text to the box at the bottom, and then click "Preload" at the top and that should generate your rack.
Capt Matt Thompson

Paul Creed III

Quote from: Capt Thompson on July 29, 2020, 05:15:48 PMPaul, don't paste directly into the order form, click the button that says "Click here to see, choose and arrange your ribbons." On the page that pops up, add the text to the box at the bottom, and then click "Preload" at the top and that should generate your rack.

That was the ticket. Thanks!

Capt Thompson

Quote from: Paul Creed III on July 29, 2020, 06:24:53 PM
Quote from: Capt Thompson on July 29, 2020, 05:15:48 PMPaul, don't paste directly into the order form, click the button that says "Click here to see, choose and arrange your ribbons." On the page that pops up, add the text to the box at the bottom, and then click "Preload" at the top and that should generate your rack.

That was the ticket. Thanks!

Glad I could help!
Capt Matt Thompson