Main Menu

Any HF mobile installs?

Started by kd8gua, February 25, 2010, 08:47:37 PM

kd8gua

Has anyone installed - be it in their personal vehicle or CAP van - a CAP HF radio?

I know it can be tricky, but also can be done. The biggest task is finding a place to mount the radio, and that depends on the type. I have never seen CAP's HF radios, but I know, from here, that the "official" radio is the Micom. Now there are plenty of versions, ones that are pre-programmed, ones that can be selected to any frequency, and they all come in desktop models, or mobile models with the control head on a length of cable. Then there's the need for an antenna tuner, as well as decent antenna. The largest commercially available antenna (without moving parts ie. "Screwdriver antennas") is 102" tall. Granted the military's Humvees may have longer ones, but I have yet to see a source that sells these Mil-Spec antennas to the general public. The Micom, according to the official website for the radio, is usually paired with an electronic tuner that plugs into the Micom's data port. There are a few other tuners, including one with a remote mount faceplate with a display similar to a radio, that you manually enter the frequency and it will automatically tune the antenna, no matter the length.

I'd be curious to see pictures of your setups as well.
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer
Columbus Composite Squadron

Assistant Cadet Programs Activities Officer
Ohio Wing HQ

Al Sayre

The SER Commander has a very interesting ALE-HF setup on his SUV.  It's basically a Reese type hitch receiver monted on an angle to exit from the frame in the area of the left rear bumper.  The insert is installed with an upward offset so that hte base of the antenna is about even with the bumper.  It looks very professional.

NHQ sent out some photos of an ALE-HF equipped van with the brackets mounted on the left rear door hinges.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Major Lord

I had my Icom 706 MKIIG installed in my minivan with an Icom auto tuner and a 102 inch whip ( the Icom with upgrades was approved at the time) I was never happy with its performance on our 75 (ish) meter frequency. from 40 meters up, it was okay. I Guess if I had to install a CAP radio in a van I would go with a motorized screwdriver....or maybe a blimp with a long wire.....

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

N Harmon

I too am interested in mobile HF installs. Specifically, what kind of antennas are people employing, and what bands. I have been a bit disappointed in highbird maintaining radio coverage, and am seriously considering getting an HF radio for mobile use.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

ZigZag911

Veering slightly off the topic, I'm interested in an antenna for an HF base station installation that is not some sort of long wire (space limitations)

CommGeek

Just installed a Micom 3T in a Wing cargo van.  I will post pics tomorrow.   Mounted the radio behind the drivers seat, control head on the dash.  It uses a pretty neat external mounted autotuner that bolts to the frame with a 12 foot fiberglass whip.  Works great, except for horrible spark plug interference.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: CommGeek on March 04, 2010, 01:12:58 AM
Just installed a Micom 3T in a Wing cargo van.  I will post pics tomorrow.   Mounted the radio behind the drivers seat, control head on the dash.

Shielded from the sun?

CommGeek

ya....its actually flush mounted inside one of the cubby holes in the dash.  Joe you would be proud!

JoeTomasone

Quote from: CommGeek on March 04, 2010, 02:34:32 PM
ya....its actually flush mounted inside one of the cubby holes in the dash.  Joe you would be proud!

Post some pics and I'm sure I will be..   >:D

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

CommGeek

there on the way!   Gotta find a few min to sneak out of the office and take some shots!

CommGeek

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48069338@N03

3 pics attached at above link...  I had to run the coax in the headliner, running it on the ground put the coax right next to the vehicles computer (Under the drivers seat), it caused the engine to stall and the lights to flash randomly.

The antenna mount is bolted to the frame, with a custom welded bracket. The whip (12 Feet)  was not attached in the pic.

Control head cable is run under the floor mat, and behind the dash...   Its mounted in the cubby hole in the dash.

I might need to get the noise reduction kit from Mobat to help with the really bad spark plug noise.... you really cant hear anything while driving, even with the noise blanker on. 

SarDragon

What is the condition of the spark plugs and spark plug wires? Those are the biggest cause of ignition interference.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CommGeek

all is good.  That was my first thing i checked, no leakage...

davidsinn

Quote from: CommGeek on March 04, 2010, 08:11:35 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48069338@N03

3 pics attached at above link...  I had to run the coax in the headliner, running it on the ground put the coax right next to the vehicles computer (Under the drivers seat), it caused the engine to stall and the lights to flash randomly.

The antenna mount is bolted to the frame, with a custom welded bracket. The whip (12 Feet)  was not attached in the pic.

Control head cable is run under the floor mat, and behind the dash...   Its mounted in the cubby hole in the dash.

I might need to get the noise reduction kit from Mobat to help with the really bad spark plug noise.... you really cant hear anything while driving, even with the noise blanker on.

I hope your total height is under 13'-6" or you could have a very shocking moment if you find a low hanging power line. ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

CommGeek

The antenna is never supposed to be vertical, its NVIS, the antenna whip is designed to be tied off at the back of the vehicle, the more horizontal the better....

SarDragon

Quote from: CommGeek on March 04, 2010, 08:56:14 PM
all is good.  That was my first thing i checked, no leakage...

What happens when you turn on a cheapie AM radio, and move it around the vehicle? I've used that method in the past to isolate interference.

Also, are your grounds good? Really good, and all tied together?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JoeTomasone

Quote from: CommGeek on March 04, 2010, 09:17:34 PM
never supposed to be

The phrase most often precluding a CAPF 78.    >:D

Nice install!  Which/whose van is that?

Gunner C

That is a really good looking antenna mount!

davidsinn

Quote from: CommGeek on March 04, 2010, 09:17:34 PM
The antenna is never supposed to be vertical, its NVIS, the antenna whip is designed to be tied off at the back of the vehicle, the more horizontal the better....

I thought it was like VHF antennas that are supposed to be vertical. If horizontal is what you want why not an angled mag mount at the front of the roof and lay it down a few inches off the steel?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn