ARCHER...Trash or treasure?

Started by SarMaster, October 06, 2009, 07:15:53 PM

SarMaster

Sooo...is ARCHER a piece of junk...or worth anything?
Semper Gumby!

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

bosshawk

Great at finding blue tarps and yellow rental trucks and beetle-infested forests.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

RiverAux

It would be nice if there was some sort of formal evaluation of this program so that we would be able to answer this question. 

My only direct experience has been limited to seeing someone (I don't know who) trying to give credit to an ARCHER crew for a find they had nothing to do with. 

heliodoc

AGREE with RiverAux on this

While it is "swell" that CAP is assisting U of MO and U of MN on some of these "natural resource" missions that are originally done by contract pilots using older technology........

It is now time to present it with facts and justifications and some outside analysis by outfits such as the American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing for a true and accurate unbiased opinion.

CAP's analysis should be validated. Not by CAP, but by remote sensing analysts who have done this for a number of years.  Flying around as an ARCHOP does not necessarily qualify as a true degree in the aerial photo and remote sensing field.  It requires dedicated schooling and practice.  A few flights does not make you an expert.  CAP, again needs to demonstrate a LOOOONG term education in this field and just because we are SAR organization does not qualify us as truly aerial photo pilots, either.

And that "shroud of secrecy" that surrounds ARCHER...leseeee what ASPRS has to say about it..  But the GA- 8 is a fun flying Caravan wannabe. 

Just a little opinion from someone who did aerial photo interpretation for both B&W and CIR natural resource inventory for 20 years as a Forester.  Yes, old technology but still pretty accurate when backed up by GIS and satellite remote sensing........

sparks

Is CAP the only organization using the ARCHER technology? Is it's being used elsewhere that might provide a clue about its' usefullness.

wingnut55

I participated in an analysis of the Archer by USAF contractors, I also have a fair background in Image analysis. Bosshawk is smack on target.  I wish to add another small detail.
The USAF offered to enhance the equipment  on several aircraft to demonstrate the technology. The technology works, but has limited Non-SAR uses in the current configuration.

CAPHQ turned them down??

This is a shame, but welcome to the DOD. I worked on the Mole project and the USAF Space Shuttle program and the USAF poured  8 Billion into those and they never worked or became operational.