Main Menu

Flight Gear

Started by caplegalnc, April 13, 2009, 08:33:02 PM

caplegalnc

Aside from a Nomex flight suit and gloves, and all-leather boots, what would be considered essentials for a prospective flight crew member?  Any ideas?
Chief Justice
NC-019

Eclipse

Quote from: caplegalnc on April 13, 2009, 08:33:02 PM
Aside from a Nomex flight suit and gloves, and all-leather boots, what would be considered essentials for a prospective flight crew member?  Any ideas?

Well, for starters, unless you are in CAWG, the above list is not a requirement for aircrew, only that you're in an approved uniform of some kind.

The equipment depends on which job you're doing, could be anything from cameras to sectionals, kneeboards, GPS, headset, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

Your own headset.  You can find decent ones on ebay for around $50.00.  Do you really want to borrow my grungy loaner set that has been on who knows how many different peoples heads with a microphone that has been 1/4" from their mouths?  I don't wear it, so I generally don't clean it.  It just sits in the bottom of my flight bag until someone comes begging to borrow it.  Think about it.  I get really tired of people showing up for aircrew training wanting to borrow my headset.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

wacapgh

Same here, I'd put a headset into the "must have" category once you start actual training.

Don't count on "I'll borrow one from someone who's not flying", "There should be an extra in the plane..." Either everyone will be flying or the "extra" got left back at the home airport, etc. and you're stuck on the ground, not getting the training you want.

Get a cheap one to start with. If you decide after a flight or two to not pursue aircrew training, you're not out big $$$ and can sell yours to someone else just getting into training.

If you do continue on, then think seriously about getting a set with Active Noise Reduction. It s amazing in how easily you can hear your other crewmembers and the radios.  Also the reduction in fatigue was noticeable.

isuhawkeye

Its not all safety gear, but theses are a few things that I carry with me when I fly

flash light with red lens/bulb

Good sunglasses non-polarized

knee board

SPOT

Water to drink

Sun block

Lip Balm

caplegalnc

Any suggestions for safety?  I'm thinking of an SRU-21P vest.  I wore one as a police Tatical team member year back.  I'm looking at keeping weight down but having items needed to make sure if bad times come I am covered.
Chief Justice
NC-019

Pumbaa

This is either in my bag or on my leg.  Ontario ASEK
belt cutter in my leg pocket
As other said
kneeboard with extra pencils
Small flashlight
GPS and camera
ANC headphones
cellphone
compass
matches

airdale

QuoteAside from a Nomex flight suit and gloves, and all-leather boots ...
Jeez.  I rarely fly with any of that stuff.  Golf shirt, cotton pants, comfortable walking shoes.  A jacket in the back suitable for a several mile walk in the weather of the day.  I do have some lightweight leather (women's) gloves in my flight bag for those cold mornings until the yoke warms up.  And I own a flight suit and long undies for the really cold days.   I avoid the flight suit, however, as it tends to attract uniform nazis.  OTOH, they are repelled by golf shirts.

I would say:  Sunglasses, a kneeboard, notepaper, a pen, whatever crib sheets you can find for how to work the radios and the GPS.  The pilot must have legal charts and should have a gridded chart, but you'll be a more helpful part of the team if you have your own.  Your sectional charts really don't need to be current, as you'll be using them mostly to find towns and landmarks.  Add, too, a state road map as the ground teams talk in terms of road numbers.

You'll meet many new friends if you carry a roll of quarters for the airport vending machines.  A charger for your cell phone can come in handy.  Other little stuff like that that doesn't take a lot of space or weigh much.

If you'll be over rough country, you might want to check out the mandated CAP survival stuff in the back.  Like ... whether it's there or not.