What do you guys think of this?

Started by krnlpanick, July 17, 2012, 04:36:06 PM

krnlpanick

The price is pretty awesome, and I would probably end up not using some of the stuff here (at least for SAR) but the kit is pretty awesome I think.

http://www.opsgear.com/index/page/product/product_id/4541/category_id/210/category_chain/62,210/product_name/UTG+MOLLE+Ultimate+Tactical+Gear+10-piece+Complete+Vest+Kit
2nd Lt. Christopher A. Schmidt, CAP

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

AngelWings

Quote from: krnlpanick on July 17, 2012, 04:36:06 PM
The price is pretty awesome, and I would probably end up not using some of the stuff here (at least for SAR) but the kit is pretty awesome I think.

http://www.opsgear.com/index/page/product/product_id/4541/category_id/210/category_chain/62,210/product_name/UTG+MOLLE+Ultimate+Tactical+Gear+10-piece+Complete+Vest+Kit
UTG is airsoft gear and, mostly, improperly or poorly manufactured. I've owned UTG gear before, and man, it is like overpriced air show food, expensive and mostly lackluster. Save your money and get $50-$60 more bucks, and you can buy something that is just as cool and designed for medical and SAR equipment: http://www.tacticaltailor.com/vests-armor/vests/tac-vest-1f-medic

Eclipse

$119 for that rig is a good price, but if there's quality issues it might wind up being a total waste.

"That Others May Zoom"

KirkF22

Wait would you use this for CAP?
What activity in CAP requires you have something like this?

Struts

Looks like something for airsoft purposes or anything else along those lines. The "You save 10 dollars" thing cracked me up since the price was still over 100$.

Quote from: KirkF22 on July 17, 2012, 05:22:02 PM
Ground team activities out in the field. You could use this to hold equipment.

krnlpanick

Quote from: KirkF22 on July 17, 2012, 05:22:02 PM

GT - I prefer vests and pouches over backpacks any day of the week. I like to be able to get to whatever I am after quickly, without having to stop and dig through a pack.

Quote from: AngelWings on July 17, 2012, 04:47:16 PM
UTG is airsoft gear and, mostly, improperly or poorly manufactured. I've owned UTG gear before, and man, it is like overpriced air show food, expensive and mostly lackluster. Save your money and get $50-$60 more bucks, and you can buy something that is just as cool and designed for medical and SAR equipment: http://www.tacticaltailor.com/vests-armor/vests/tac-vest-1f-medic

That is good to know - I haven't ever owned UTG gear at all. I do like the drop leg kits on the vest, I know some people can't stand them but back when I used to be a more serious paintballer I used a leg rig for my ammo and my backup weapon and greatly preferred it over the chest rig.. I also like the duty belt that came with it - I always have tons of crap on my belt when I am out and about so having a good duty belt with pouches is def. a nice to have. Too bad about the quality tho - maybe I'll look into the med-vest you linked and find a good leg-rig that matches it.

KirkF22

Ok but is it recommended that you have one of these?
And what about the backpack water holders. You know the ones that have like a straw thing, are those recommended?

Pylon

Quote from: KirkF22 on July 17, 2012, 05:28:30 PM
Ok but is it recommended that you have one of these?
And what about the backpack water holders. You know the ones that have like a straw thing, are those recommended?

Camelbak?  Yes, those are very handy and recommended.  You will find they are much, much preferable to the alternatives, which are: pistol belt with canteens or shoving water bottles into your pockets.

As for the gear mentioned above: it is not recommended that everyone has gear of this sort.  It can be useful, not required, if you decide to get involved with Ground Team/emergency services operations in CAP.  That having been said, I think most everyone would recommend that you do some Ground Team training first, maybe try on several people's gear setups and see what you find works best for you.  Everyone sets up their gear differently and buys different packs and rigs.  Finally, you'll have to earn the Curry before you can even start Ground Team training so nothing you need to worry about just yet.  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

KirkF22

What do you mean by earn the curry?

Pylon

Quote from: KirkF22 on July 17, 2012, 05:39:31 PM
What do you mean by earn the curry?

You have to earn your first achievement, called the Curry Achievement, in the CAP Cadet Program and get promoted to Cadet Airman before you can pursue doing any sort of training or participation in our emergency services missions.

More here: http://capmembers.com/cadet_programs/stripes_to_diamonds/
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

BillB

I would suggest you wait before you buy anyhing. The reason You will get a free blue uniform from CAP less shoes and insignia. The next step would be to buy a BDU uniform including boots and insignia. Then wait to see what you might need when you decide what you will do in CAP. No reason to buy a camelback if you are not going to be on ground team or go to encampment. No reason to go hog-wil on things that you may only use 1 or 2 times ayear, or the Squadron may have in supply to isue you.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

krnlpanick

I agree with everything stated above. My primary reason for joining CAP was to get involved in ES, both ground and air teams - so that is where I am putting my time, efforts and money. Having been an outdoorsman most of my life, I know the type of equipment that I like (playing paintball didn't hurt either as far as the style of tactical gear I like) - so my best recommendation is to see where your interests lie as you get more involved in the program. If that happens to be Ground Team ES, then talk to the people in your squadron that are involved in ES and see what kind of gear they use - see if you can try their gear on to see how it feels. As I am sure is apparent, different people have many different preferences as to the style of gear they like - I am one of the few on CT that actually likes leg rigs, some people prefer packs over vests and visa-versa. There is a great deal of personal preference involved in selecting your gear, so the key thing is to gather as much data as you can and make your decision from there. Most gear is not cheap so the last thing you want to do is go out and spend $500 on gear because Capt. Smartpants on CT said it was awesome equipment then find out you hate it.

Good luck!

As for the original post - I have read more reviews (most of them not so stellar) on UTG equipment and have the feeling there is a reason for the low price. I will probably go with something similar from a different mfg.

ol'fido

Worry less about your gear and more about your knowledge, training, and skills.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Critical AOA

I think once we start our tactical assault teams as part of our CD efforts, these would be great!   >:D
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

krnlpanick

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 18, 2012, 12:12:06 AM
I think once we start our tactical assault teams as part of our CD efforts, these would be great!   >:D

Sign me up for that! See this AR15? That's my anti-drug..  :clap:

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: ol'fido on July 17, 2012, 10:09:42 PM

+100

RogueLeader

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on July 18, 2012, 03:08:43 AM
Quote from: ol'fido on July 17, 2012, 10:09:42 PM

+100

If my gear works for me, it makes it easier to focus on the training.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

AngelWings

Do you still have your paintball gear? While some of shouldn't be used for CAP, a duty belt and drop leg pouch is fine. Especially if it is grey with reflective strips on it :D

krnlpanick

Quote from: AngelWings on July 18, 2012, 03:22:55 AM
Do you still have your paintball gear? While some of shouldn't be used for CAP, a duty belt and drop leg pouch is fine. Especially if it is grey with reflective strips on it :D

Sadly no, I got rid of it some years ago. All my gear was plain black though, not ideal for SAR activities.