Main Menu

Webbing/ Where to buy

Started by chickenjoe, March 04, 2011, 01:33:43 AM

chickenjoe

Hello I am putting together my search and rescue pack and it calls for 1 inch wide and 20 feet of webbing BUT I can't find it in any stores.So where can I get it? And NO Walmart doesn't have it.
---- Have A Good One
Semper Vigilans   

GroundHawg

Eclipse

I think I got mine at REI - note that in most wings that is an optional item.

"That Others May Zoom"

chickenjoe

Yeah I know its optional but my ground school instructor said to get all the items not just the ones marked with the "T" so would I still need to get it?

P.S. I am in the NC wing if that makes any difference
---- Have A Good One
Semper Vigilans   

Eclipse

I suppose if he says to get it, get it, though you might want to ask what it will be used for, especialy in initial training

I braided mine and hooked it onto my pack with some carabiners (climbing grade) and have never used it since.  Looks cool, though.

"That Others May Zoom"

GTCommando

As Eclipse already stated, if they say get it, get it, but there are three categories of equipment when it comes to ground teams as listed by NHQ:

1.  (T) items, meaning they are required for trainees

2.  Items required for bona-fide GTMs/GTLs (most of the list)

3.  Optional items (meaning not required equipment anyone, although it would be a good thing to have).

From the GTM/UDF Task Guide:

Quotec. Optional Items
(1) Rainwear, durable
(2) Webbing, nylon, 1" wide, 20' long.
. (3) Handheld FM Transceiver (highly recommended for Ground Team Leaders)
(4) Water Purification Tablets
(5) Eye Protection (highly recommended)
(6) Entrenching Tool (highly recommended for base gear)

If NCWG has established webbing as a required item through a wing supplement to the task guide, or it has been implied, I would (respectfully) request that the instructor in question cite the reference to said supplement. Or it could be an activity-specific requirement, in which case the above may be considered a rant.   ;D
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

NC Hokie

Some of the squadrons in NCWG are training up to NASAR standards in order to "play nice" with other agencies, and webbing is required equipment for SARTECH II.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

JC004

I get my webbing and rope from Eastern Mountain Sports, usually - 15% student discount. 

chickenjoe

Ok , But what I really wanted to know is do yall know of any stores I can get it from?
---- Have A Good One
Semper Vigilans   

niferous

Any store that sells a lot of camping supplies should sell it. I'm not sure what area you live in but in Texas and most of the south Academy carries it.
Any advice I give is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

chickenjoe

In my area I have Dick's Sporting Goods, Gander Mtn., and a whole lot of Pawn shops. So do you think any of those stores would carry it?
---- Have A Good One
Semper Vigilans   

niferous

Any advice I give is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on March 04, 2011, 03:24:51 AM
I braided mine and hooked it onto my pack with some carabiners (climbing grade) and have never used it since.  Looks cool, though.

After watching part of 127 Hours last night (I absolutely refused to watch the part where he hacks his arm off.. I know _what_ he does, I don't want to see _how_ he does it), I'm thinking "hmmm, static rope & some pulleys, maybe good guidon staff as a lever, some 1" tubular webbing, maybe a half-dozen 'biners.. Yeah, I need that, even though I don't go climbing/hiking in boulder infested canyons."  :)

(seriously, though, I went to a course in the Army that was sort of a "High Adventure" thing, done Army-style.  A whole week of climbing, rappelling, rope-bridges, etc.  And we carried our 12' length of green line, our own swiss seat, snapped to a "snap link" [never a 'carabiner'] wherever we went: DFAC, all-ranks club, etc.  So for years, I had a 12' length of green line and a military oval snap link attached to my rucksack.  Didn't use it. Ever.)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

manfredvonrichthofen

I don't know if you have one near by, but Menards has webbing here at mine, so does my Lowe's. You might give them a call and ask. Mine both sell it by the yard, they have it in black white and orange, I got the orange for visibility. I have no idea what it would be used for either.

GTCommando

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on March 05, 2011, 02:40:23 PM
I have no idea what it would be used for either.

^Where I come from, we don't have one of them thar fancy new backboards that come with their own straps.  ;D Instead, we use a Vietnam-era gurney, and we use the webbing to tie the victims to said gurney. Almost every member of my team carries a 20' section of the stuff. Few occasions where we have to use it, I admit, but it is nice to have on hand.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

jimmydeanno

It seems to me that if one were in a real bind for webbing, one could cannibalize some ratchet tie-downs, which can be found at any box retail outlet, automotive supply store, etc.  Although it may be a bit more expensive than buying just the plain webbing, the end result is nearly the same.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

mclarke

You could look at www.cavpro.com, www.galls.com, www.rangerjoes.com, www.conney.com or check your local sporting goods store or military surplus store. We have a surplus store here in Eau Claire, WI. I know they sell webbing by the length, so I will post there link if you want to look.

www.armynavywisconsin.com

Quote from: chickenjoe on March 04, 2011, 01:33:43 AM
Hello I am putting together my search and rescue pack and it calls for 1 inch wide and 20 feet of webbing BUT I can't find it in any stores.So where can I get it? And NO Walmart doesn't have it.