Who owns their own narrowband radio?

Started by Custer, May 27, 2010, 10:25:55 PM

cap235629

Quote from: Eclipse on May 31, 2010, 11:33:19 PM
Quote from: cap235629 on May 31, 2010, 11:30:37 PM
The new ones do as they are just that REPEATERS and will handle encryption.

How would a repeater "handle" encryption - the encode / decode is on both ends, not over the air, right?

exactly, the keys are loaded into the mobiles and portables, the voice or data is encrypted by the sending unit, sent digitally using APCO 25 protocols, repeated as the digital signal is just a series of 1's and 0's encrypted or not, and decrypted by the receiving radios.  All of the new portable repeaters are digital APCO 25 standard
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

kd8gua

Unless a repeater has encryption technology built into it,  it will not handle encryption from individual radios. The receiving radios will just hear what sounds like open squelch, even if all radios using the repeater are on the same encryption key. The data stream sent with the encrypted audio signal will be completely ignored by the repeater, therefore the only thing that will be passed is the unencrypted audio (which has the squelch sound).

To add to the OT, I own a Motorola MT 2000 narrowband analog handheld, and a Motorola Astro Spectra P25 digital narrowband mobile.
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer
Columbus Composite Squadron

Assistant Cadet Programs Activities Officer
Ohio Wing HQ

cap235629

To put all this to rest I called my Wing DC.  The new portable repeaters are encryption capable.

If you have any questions, contact your Wing DC or the NTC.

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

wuzafuzz

Quote from: cap235629 on June 01, 2010, 01:58:59 AM
To put all this to rest I called my Wing DC.  The new portable repeaters are encryption capable.

If you have any questions, contact your Wing DC or the NTC.
Interesting, I was under the impression the repeater itself had to be specifically configured for encryption.  However it makes sense that the encryption is merely embedded within the digital stream.  We don't have encryption keys to play with yet. 

Back on the topic of personal owned radios, I wish we had more member owned radios.  We have an activity this weekend that is coming up short on portables, even after putting out the call for more.   :(  There just aren't enough CAP owned portables to go around. 
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

JoeTomasone

There is a big difference between P25 and encryption.   

wuzafuzz

Quote from: JoeTomasone on June 02, 2010, 05:20:53 PM
There is a big difference between P25 and encryption.
Understood, but the APCO 25 standard does support the use of encryption, as well as trunking and data.  The question becomes how it works and affects us. 

When encryption is combined with APCO 25 is the audio encrypted before it is modulated into the digital stream?  If so, the digitally modulated signal should pass through a P25 repeater, correct?  Or is the entire signal wrapped in encryption and therefore "invisible" to a standard P25 repeater?  The latter would require a properly equipped repeater to work.

I've never used encryption before, so I am honestly curious.

"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

SarDragon

The digital stream is all of the modulation, before it is impressed upon the RF that goes out the antenna. Encryption is usually the final transformation ofn the digital stream before modulation of the RF occurs.

Audio -> A-to-D converter = digital audio stream -> key + exclusive or gate = encrypted audio -> modulator = audio + RF -> antenna

Very simplified, but it's the basic process.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

cap235629

Quote from: SarDragon on June 02, 2010, 09:26:21 PM
The digital stream is all of the modulation, before it is impressed upon the RF that goes out the antenna. Encryption is usually the final transformation ofn the digital stream before modulation of the RF occurs.

Audio -> A-to-D converter = digital audio stream -> key + exclusive or gate = encrypted audio -> modulator = audio + RF -> antenna

Very simplified, but it's the basic process.

So yes.

I tried to explain it in laymans terms and was told I was wrong so I gave up
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

CAP.is.1337

I own several NTIA compliant handhelds. If you're looking for the best digital bang for your buck, find a EFJ 5100, Astro Saber, or XTS 3000 with P25 flashcodes. If you're not going to use P25, I'd recommend an HT1000 or MT2000, as those can be had for a song these days.
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634

aconway

I have a Motorola XTS5000 VHF and a XTS3000 VHF they are NTIA compliant and they will do P25 and encryption. 

CAP.is.1337

Quote from: aconway on June 11, 2010, 09:19:08 PM
I have a Motorola XTS5000 VHF and a XTS3000 VHF they are NTIA compliant and they will do P25 and encryption.

It is important to note that they will only do P25 if properly flashed, (the code must begin with a 1 or 5,) and they will only do CAP-compliant encryption with the proper module and keyloader.
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634

aconway

I have a VHF XTS5000 and a XTS2500 they do P25. I also have a base that is a Motorola XTL2500.

SJFedor

Quote from: aconway on July 06, 2010, 10:10:01 PM
I have a VHF XTS5000 and a XTS2500 they do P25. I also have a base that is a Motorola XTL2500.

And a lot of money.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Fubar