For Sale: 42L Old Style Service Dress

Started by chacharoo, December 31, 2018, 04:05:56 PM

jeders

Ummm, it looks more like you have a knock off, and not a very good one. The material color looks wrong, the stitching looks wrong, and the buttons are the new style wing and star instead of the old style seal.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

chacharoo

The USAF has used a number of different shades of blue over the years, 39-1 even recognizes that as it says the pants and coat must match. As for the buttons, the "wing and star" design is authorized.

Mod Edit: I was trying to quote your post and accidentally modified it, I think I got it back to how it was; sorry.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

Yeah, it's off. Does NOT look like the old style at all!

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

PHall

The whole thing is just "off". The semi-contrasting stitching on the pockets is the one that stands out the most.

Also, senior members can not wear the old style service dress and have not been able to for almost 20 years.

jeders

Quote from: chacharoo on December 31, 2018, 04:46:22 PM
The USAF has used a number of different shades of blue over the years

Yes they have, but they didn't manufacture the old style service coat in the shade that this one appears to be with such highly contrasting thread.

Quote39-1 even recognizes that as it says the pants and coat must match.

You are correct, they must match. What this means is that you must find old shade 1549(?) trousers to match the shade 1549 service coat.

QuoteAs for the buttons, the "wing and star" design is authorized.

The wing and star design was introduced, I believe, with the McPeak uniform in 1994. Prior to that, the service coat used the Air Force Seal buttons. In other words, the old-style service coat which is authorized for cadets to wear was never produced with the new-style buttons. What it looks like you have is actually not an old-style service coat but a shade 1620 (new style) Air Force Academy Cadet coat with its epaulet loops removed. The contrasting thread, terrible though it looks, is likely just a result of the flash on your camera.We can debate all day long about whether or not this coat is allowed to be worn by CAP cadets, and if anyone wants to start a separate thread for that, feel free to.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Ohioguard

There are no shoulder loops on the coat.  This is a very poor knock off.

JCW