Main Menu

CAP IDs

Started by ♠SARKID♠, January 21, 2008, 07:25:27 PM

♠SARKID♠

Are CAP IDs issued in a constant progression, or are they decommissioned as members leave/die and reissued to new people that come in?

Eclipse

Rolling - which is why you can (generally) tell how long a person has been in - our more seasoned members are in the 1#####'s and they are issuing 4##### today.

They are pretty good about giving you back your old number when you come back, even into the 80's as long as they can find you, or you can supply something with the old number.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Quote from: Eclipse on January 21, 2008, 07:29:13 PM
Rolling - which is why you can (generally) tell how long a person has been in - our more seasoned members are in the 1#####'s and they are issuing 4##### today.

They are pretty good about giving you back your old number when you come back, even into the 80's as long as they can find you, or you can supply something with the old number.

The CAPID numbers we currently use only date back to the late 90's.  I was a member when they created them and replaced using your Social Security Number (often called CAPSN).  At the switchover, everybody got a membership card with a new number on it.  Don't know if they based it on longevity (i/e: longer members get lower numbers) or if it was random.  Mine was/is in the 22XXXX series; I joined in Jan 1997.

A former cadet who was in CAP briefly (after CAPIDs became the standard) recently rejoined as a senior member (after about an 8 year lapse) and she got her old CAPID number back. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SarDragon

I have not been able to figure out how they assigned the new numbers to the then current members. It is at least partly based on longevity, but I think there is more to it than that. I can't figure out any geographical associations, either.

I first joined in '64 as a cadet, transitioned to SM in'70, had a break in service in the 80s, and rejoined in '87. My number is 106***. Who knows.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

drcomm

Quote from: Pylon on January 21, 2008, 10:11:27 PM

The CAPID numbers we currently use only date back to the late 90's.  I was a member when they created them and replaced using your Social Security Number (often called CAPSN).   

When I joined as a cadet children were not required to have a SSN as they are now. Those cadets that did not have a SSN were issued a generated number.  I was one of those without a SSN.  I joined in 1978 and my number was 781***.  I don't know if the current numbers are continuing to roll from those issued numbers or not.  I rejoined in 2005 and my current number is 395***.  For some reason I had it in my head that the numbers issued back then were issued with the first two digits being the year you joined.
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Starbase Composite Squadron, SWR-OK-151
Oil Well 767
Mitchell Award #2536 (May 1981)
Amateur Radio Call Sign: KA5OWI

SJFedor

Quote from: Pylon on January 21, 2008, 10:11:27 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 21, 2008, 07:29:13 PM

The CAPID numbers we currently use only date back to the late 90's.  I was a member when they created them and replaced using your Social Security Number (often called CAPSN).  At the switchover, everybody got a membership card with a new number on it.  Don't know if they based it on longevity (i/e: longer members get lower numbers) or if it was random.  Mine was/is in the 22XXXX series; I joined in Jan 1997.

A former cadet who was in CAP briefly (after CAPIDs became the standard) recently rejoined as a senior member (after about an 8 year lapse) and she got her old CAPID number back. 

Early 2000s actually. When we went from the brown CAPID cards to the current day blue ones, that's when they changed. I joined in Jan of 2000, and my first ID card had my social on it. I believe the first year I renewed, that's when I got the blue one with the new number on it.

I'm a 29xxxx

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

SarDragon

My first number was C-22-101xx, issued on a wing level basis. C = cadet, and 22 = NJWG. When I became an SM, I got 519xxx. My SSAN was my CAPSN when I rejoined, and now we have the CAPIDs. The CAPSN is still a primary internal tracking number, and is used on paperwork outside CAP, particularly with USAF.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

When I joined in 85 my SSAN was my my CAPID.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: lordmonar on January 22, 2008, 12:45:25 AM
When I joined in 85 my SSAN was my my CAPID.

It was called a CAPSN back then.  The term CAPID didn't enter usage until 2001. The membership cards didn't identify the number, but the MMLs and STRs of that time had columns labeled CAPSN, as did ES 101 cards, and the CAPF 119.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

FW

If I had the energy, I would call NHQ and ask Ms. Parker about the process.  However, since I'm on CAP-TALK, I'll just make a wild guess ;D and say it's rolling.
When we switched from SS#s to CAPID's in 2001, the numbers were randomly generated.  I did a quick search of the members and found no rhyme or reason.  after 2002, numbers do seem to match join date.  Members who leave seem to have their numbers stay with them, as I can't find any new member with a "low" number.
BTW, in the 60's, Senior members had a choice of using a CAP specific ID or SS#. Cadets had a CAP specific number until 1970.  First a "000" was prefixed to the 6 digit ID.  Later, the number was changed to the SS#; as it stayed until 2001.

IceNine

Based simply off of the things I'm seeing here they must be based on longevity.

Pylon was 22**** I am 26**** and joined almost a year later
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Maj Ballard

I joined in 91 and am a 16****.

I got out for several years and kept the same number when I rejoined in 03.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: IceNine on January 22, 2008, 03:10:44 AM
Based simply off of the things I'm seeing here they must be based on longevity.

Pylon was 22**** I am 26**** and joined almost a year later

They are certainly so after the initial assignments. The questions I have are about the initial assignment sequence. From my observations about CAWG members, there is some basis for the longevity method, but there are holes in that theory. I see folks with numbers lower than mine who are much younger, and with a joned date after mine.

I just looked in eServices, and the numbers around mine, with one exception are assigned to strangers. The exception, the number after mine, was assigned to a member of my first unit in NJ, and he's been out of CAP for some time now.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

brasda91

Joined in July 1993 and my number is 126***
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

SSgt Rudin

I'm interested to see just how far back you have to go to get a 000*** number, I joined in Nov '97 and have a 238***. The lowest I have seen is a 100*** and that person joined in '90. I think the lower you get the numbers will have a greater spread in year, I believe when the switch was made only current members were given a CAP ID.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

Tim Medeiros

I believe the numbers start at 100000, otherwise (at least while searching) the number will come out as 5 digits or less
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Eeyore

I joined CAP, for the first time around, in July of 1997 and my ID is a 230***.

JC004

weird...you people all got numbers with stars - mine is all numbers   ;)   >:D

♠SARKID♠

Okay, fair enough.  I figured it would be rolling incase someone came back.  I do know for a fact that join date has effect on your number.  Mine is 36**89 and my friend who sent his paperwork in alongside mine was 36**88.

Eeyore

I was just thinking, is there any good reason to keep our ID #'s hidden? I know we are all used to it with privacy being what it is today, but I don't think someone could steal an identity with a CAPID#.

I put the stars in there out of habit, but I guess it really doesn't matter. Does it?

[edited for non-sense gibberish that is appearing from lack of sleep]