Main Menu

Haircut

Started by Kal, March 25, 2008, 09:12:22 PM

DC

Very short high and tight. It is the ultimate low maintanence hair style. I never have to comb, brush, dry, gel, spray, or any other form of hair care. I save a ton on shampoo too, because it takes so little to wash it!

Total Bulk - 0.25 inches the the highest point

DNall

Quote from: davidsinn on March 26, 2008, 06:11:35 PM
Quote from: Kal on March 26, 2008, 04:58:45 AM
Ok, cut hair so max. length (if spiked) is under 1.25 in, got it.

So how do you wear your hat with spiked hair?

Cut holes out for the spikes to stick thru, of course. Jeez! Amateurs.  ;D

Walkman

Hair, who needs hair!?

(I did lose the chin fuzz so as to meet AF standards)

LtCol Hooligan

Sorry- but that is called a fad.  That haircut is not regulation.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: LtCol Hooligan on March 26, 2008, 08:42:54 PM
Sorry- but that is called a fad.  That haircut is not regulation.

Unless he is balding, then it is authorized.   ;)
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

Walkman

Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on March 26, 2008, 09:24:52 PM
Unless he is balding, then it is authorized.   ;)

Yup. I'm a baldy. I shave the sides because I was tired of the middle-age-dad look.

chiles

Right there with you! I shaved my head when deployed for Katrina and we didn't have working showers for the first few days. I never intended for it to be a permanent look. My body seemed to have other ideas.
Maj Christopher Hiles, MS, RN BSN, CAP
Commander
Ft McHenry Composite Squadron
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing
Mitchell: 43417
Wilson: 2878

LtCol Hooligan

Meant no offense btw- I have the natural look on the top as well.  Just trying to point out that the bicked sides would be considered a fad.  Technically speaking there should be a little on the side, but I have never heard anyone in the military actually tell someone their hair is too short!!
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

Walkman

Kal

So how do you wear your hat with spiked hair?

Um, the hat pushes the hair down. Why? The hat isn't riding on top of the hair, my hair isn't long enough for that.

davidsinn

Spiked hair is still a fad style and not authorized while in uniform.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Hawk200

Quote from: LtCol Hooligan on March 27, 2008, 04:49:20 PM
Meant no offense btw- I have the natural look on the top as well.  Just trying to point out that the bicked sides would be considered a fad.  Technically speaking there should be a little on the side, but I have never heard anyone in the military actually tell someone their hair is too short!!

In one of the uniform messages a few years ago, the Army said that shaving your head was acceptable (the disturbing part was that the original message said that men and women could do it!)

The Air Force says this (AFI 36-2903): "Cleanly shaven heads, military high-and-tight, or flat top haircuts are authorized. "

A clean shaven head is not really associated with a particular theme, group, or organization. It's a generally accepted practice by the public, and isn't considered extreme nowadays.

The standards in 39-1 don't reference a clean shaven head, but the current ones shown reflect the last incarnation or so of the Air Force uniform instruction. Ouir next 39-1 will probably say the same thing as the current AFI.

Kal

Quote from: davidsinn on March 28, 2008, 12:55:27 AM

I can't find that anywhere. I looked. All I saw was it being under 1 1/4 in in bulk. I consider the flat top to kind of block-like, and it even says that the block look is permitted. Am I missing something? If I am please tell me. I try not to be out of regs.

Hawk200

Quote from: Kal on March 28, 2008, 02:00:06 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on March 28, 2008, 12:55:27 AM

I can't find that anywhere. I looked. All I saw was it being under 1 1/4 in in bulk. I consider the flat top to kind of block-like, and it even says that the block look is permitted. Am I missing something? If I am please tell me. I try not to be out of regs.

You're confusing different things. Flat tops have nothing to do with blocking. The block cut is referring as to how it's cut on the back of the neck down toward the collar. It looks like a block because the bottom is cut in a straight line, and the ends toward the outside have a very defined square looking appearance.

Yes, I know flat tops can have a "square" appearance, but this isn't what the manual is referencing when they mention "blocking".

Kal

Oh, my bad. But still, is there a reg against putting gel in your hair?

If you mean by "spiking" having it go in all different directions, I am not doing that. I am just having it stick straight up uniformly. Not  the look of ^^^^ or a --^-- or a -----^ but more of a ------ look ( if the lines are the way the hair looks).

Hawk200

Quote from: Kal on March 28, 2008, 03:42:09 AM
Oh, my bad. But still, is there a reg against putting gel in your hair?

If you mean by "spiking" having it go in all different directions, I am not doing that. I am just having it stick straight up uniformly. Not  the look of ^^^^ or a --^-- or a -----^ but more of a ------ look ( if the lines are the way the hair looks).

Spiking is considered faddish. If you want it to stand up, get a flat top or something. Yeah, a flat top may be considered a fad, but nowadays it's a military fad.

Keep in mind that you need to consider your uniforms, and if your uniform isn't up to snuff because you spent all the time on your hair, you'll end up having some hassles from your staff, and your fellow cadets. It may result in some nicknames that you might not want.

There's encampments and searches to consider as well. Are you really going to have time to be gelling our hair? A little gel is fine, but if someone can tell you have it, it's probably too much. Makeup for women is a similar concept, you can tell when it's excessive. Consider what else you could be using that time for.

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

nesagsar

So back in 2003 when my Cadet Commander showed up on blues day with cherry red hair spiked in every possible direction it was wrong right?(please note sarcasm)

The senior members never said anything about it and I was a little airman at the time, he was a master sergeant. He ended up going to VMI and dropped out after 3 semesters to join the Army Guard at E-3. Never heard about him after that.

CAP006

If it makes any of you feel better (after cutting me down)  :( I cut my hair all over to .50 inches.

Thanks for informing me thou.
CAP 006 = one away from the Big Shot

C/2nd. Lt. Robert Dahms
Cadet ES Officer
Cadet Comm's Officer
Color Guard Commander
MER-NC-023

TEAM SURGE

I get away with the mohawk....very short mohawk that is....
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"