What is a basic encampment?

Started by Hoorah, December 03, 2008, 06:20:52 PM

Hoorah

I have now clue what a basic encampment is? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

jimmydeanno

A "basic" encampment is a regular encampment.  It implies that is was your first one and you weren't on staff.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Hoorah

So you have to go to a basic encampment and you then can go to other encampments and unlocks ncsa.

jeders

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Duke Dillio

Yes, it "unlocks" the NCSA's although I seem to recall that there might be one or two that do not require an encampment.  As for other encampments, you can go to as many as you are accepted into.  The difference is that once you complete the "basic" encampment and you have some grade/rank, then you can usually apply for staff positions at the upcoming encampments.

Eclipse

You guys are mixing old and new terminology.

The term "basic encampment" was from the previous revision of 52-16, where Type A, B, etc., encampments had different durations and curriculum.

There are no longer encampment "types". Regardless of duration or venue, they all have the same curriculum requirements to qualify for the ribbon and Mitchell credit.

In regards to the comment about it being a cadet's "first one", or one where they are "not on staff" that is not really accurate either.

While generally non-staff, rank-and-file cadets are referred to as doolies "basics" or "basic cadets", it is fairly common for cadets to attend either more than one encampment, or the same venue more than once, as a rank-and-file cadet, the credit is the same.

"That Others May Zoom"

DC

Quote from: Eclipse on December 04, 2008, 01:53:22 AM
You guys are mixing old and new terminology.

The term "basic encampment" was from the previous revision of 52-16, where Type A, B, etc., encampments had different durations and curriculum.

There are no longer encampment "types". Regardless of duration or venue, they all have the same curriculum requirements to qualify for the ribbon and Mitchell credit.

In regards to the comment about it being a cadet's "first one", or one where they are "not on staff" that is not really accurate either.

While generally non-staff, rank-and-file cadets are referred to as doolies "basics" or "basic cadets", it is fairly common for cadets to attend either more than one encampment, or the same venue more than once, as a rank-and-file cadet, the credit is the same.
True enough, however the term 'basic encampment' is in common usage, typically denoting one's first encampment. All subsequent encampments, even if you are 'double doolieing' (double basicing just doesn't have the same ring...) it is no longer your 'basic encampement'..

That is my understanding anyway..

Kerrbie

Yeah..all said and done previously. You can go as a basic more then once, why you would want to i don't really know, but you need to go as a basic at least once in order to apply for staff.
C/2nd Lt Katheryn Kerr, CAP
Cadet Deputy Commander, Group 2
Carroll Composite Squadron, MD Wing, MER

major pain

JUST GO!!!!  you will never forget the first time you are at encampment! i went to my first one in 1989, it was a great childhood memory! and you can not become a cadet officer or go to NCSA without it!
Lt Col Rp Kraatz, CAP
Inspector General
Kansas Wing (KSWG-01)