Main Menu

Pre-Encampment

Started by Hoorah, November 20, 2008, 12:51:59 AM

Hoorah

What is a pre encampment is it like a basic encampment before a encampment? ???

Title - MIKE

Eclipse

I've never heard of that.

Perhaps its something your unit may be running to prepare your cadets for an actual encampment?

There is no longer a difference between encampment "types" as per 52-16, they all have the same curriculum requirements
whether its a weekend(s) or a week.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

FLWG used to have a "pre-encampment" that was a full week long prior to the "real encampment".  It was called ECSS (eeckess)...Encampment Cadet Staff Selection.  Whether you were selected for a staff position or not, you had to go through ECSS in order to be on staff as a cadet.  I was never a staff cadet and I'm not 100% sure of the process, but this happened every year I was a cadet and it was a full week long.  Sort of a boot camp for cadet staff.
Serving since 1987.

DC

I have heard of units holding short (usually a weekend) 'pre-encampments' to prepare their cadets for encampment..

Kind of silly in my book, if a cadet isn't already ready for encampment, then they shouldn't be going...

notaNCO forever

Quote from: DC on November 21, 2008, 09:43:33 PM
I have heard of units holding short (usually a weekend) 'pre-encampments' to prepare their cadets for encampment..

Kind of silly in my book, if a cadet isn't already ready for encampment, then they shouldn't be going...

I agree never made sense to me.

IceNine

^ I think that a pre-encampment held at the local unit would be an amazing welcome addition to the encampment curriculum.

It would/should include things like ensuring the cadet has everything they need, that it is all marked with their name.

Should also have uniform inspection, and a refresher for customs and courtesies.

These are all things that are missed every year and that put extra strain on the encampment staff when things are missed.

For instance, C/Amn Snuffy that just got promoted last week shows up at encampment without nametapes which with a week or 2 time is no big deal, but when they show up at a place with limited resources it is a fairly major occurance.

Or even better- when they show up and didn't bring their blues, or forgot meds or whatever.  Again, 1 day with some local staff, and everyone has a better first couple days.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

notaNCO forever

^^ The basic's squadron should already have taught them C&C and have made certain they have everything needed.

IceNine

Sounds like you just verified what I was saying.

Yes the unit should be teaching the basics.  The pre-encampment is one way of doing that.

And the reality of encampment is that unless there are policies against it a very large portion of the cadets attending these activities are C/Amn, and C/A1C's, neither group should be expected to have sufficient experience to actually remember what they learned before encampment. 

Most of the time if you put them at attention and order a salute they can do it no problem but when it comes to saluting and walking or saluting without hearing the words present arms they freeze.

I'm fairly neutral about noobs with 2 months and 1 stripe attending encampment, and now that you mention this I may well run a pre-encampment in my group.  Maybe 2 days 1 night and see how it goes.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

SWASH

I held an encampment prep day at my squadron for the 3 cadets going.  Basically I helped them pack all of their gear (so they don't bring a ton of bags), help prepare their uniforms, go over basic expectations/guidelines/tips, etc.  I did this so they did not look bad but had some sort of knowledge.

I have heard of Squadrons and/or Groups holding pre-encampments that are usually two day, three night activities.  Basically a short encampment/encampment preparation.  I guess it can help cadets if their unit did not help them prepare.
CHRIS W. SAJDAK, C/SMSgt, CAP
2006-2007 SERWE Doolie, 2007-2008 SERWE Flight Sergeant
2008 ILWG Summer Encampment Flight Sergeant
08/09 FLWG Winter Encampemnt PAO

davidsinn

Quote from: IceNine on November 22, 2008, 01:31:58 AMFor instance, C/Amn Snuffy that just got promoted last week shows up at encampment without nametapes which with a week or 2 time is no big deal, but when they show up at a place with limited resources it is a fairly major occurance.

That shouldn't be possible because to earn Curry a cadet MUST have a complete uniform. It's not complete if it's missing tapes. I get really annoyed when I see cadets missing tapes that have rank on their collars. That shows that the leadership of that unit is not following the regs.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: davidsinn on November 22, 2008, 02:35:34 PM
Quote from: IceNine on November 22, 2008, 01:31:58 AMFor instance, C/Amn Snuffy that just got promoted last week shows up at encampment without nametapes which with a week or 2 time is no big deal, but when they show up at a place with limited resources it is a fairly major occurance.

That shouldn't be possible because to earn Curry a cadet MUST have a complete uniform. It's not complete if it's missing tapes. I get really annoyed when I see cadets missing tapes that have rank on their collars. That shows that the leadership of that unit is not following the regs.

I echo the frustration. but its not all that unusual. 

Since we can't "require" BDU's, many units treat them as wholly optional and base Curry evals on the basic cadet uniform - mom & dad buy the BDU's on the way to encampment and Snuffy reports with no nametapes.

Not the way its supposed to work, but happens all the time.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

The IL summer encampment holds a staff training weekend. This is mostly just to go over new SOPs and make sure that everyone is working off the same page as far as inspections and procedures. It also gives the staff a chance to work together before the first day of encampment and make sure they hit the ground running. We try to do this for a weekend but sometimes do to scheduling problems or facility availability it is limited to a day or so. This also gives the senior staff a chance to identify cadet staff that might not be ready for the position and replace them with an alternate.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

SWASH

The ILWG SE staff prep days are awesome. It gets everybody on the same page with drill, formation, bunk making, personal space, and the facility. It really helps so you don't do it for a few hours before in processing.
CHRIS W. SAJDAK, C/SMSgt, CAP
2006-2007 SERWE Doolie, 2007-2008 SERWE Flight Sergeant
2008 ILWG Summer Encampment Flight Sergeant
08/09 FLWG Winter Encampemnt PAO

Eclipse

ILWG Spring has a similar full day of training as part of RST.

The required curriculum is covered for all hands, then cadets and senior break off into various groups to prepare for the encampment.

This is done about a month before the activity.

Most encampments have something similar at the minimum to cover the RST mandates, but I'm not sure I'd call that a "pre-encampment" in the context of the original post.

"That Others May Zoom"

afgeo4

Quote from: davidsinn on November 22, 2008, 02:35:34 PM

That shouldn't be possible because to earn Curry a cadet MUST have a complete uniform. It's not complete if it's missing tapes. I get really annoyed when I see cadets missing tapes that have rank on their collars. That shows that the leadership of that unit is not folowing the regs.
Yes, to get the Curry a cadet must have A uniform. The basic uniform for CAP is the short sleeve service uniform (blues) that is provided by the Air Force. A cadet is NOT required to possess BDU's to progress through the "enlisted" grades. Since BDUs are required for encampments and encampments are required for the Mitchell award, they are required to make cadet officer, but otherwise, no.
GEORGE LURYE

Eclipse

Quote from: afgeo4 on November 23, 2008, 12:54:50 AM
Yes, to get the Curry a cadet must have A uniform. The basic uniform for CAP is the short sleeve service uniform (blues) that is provided by the Air Force. A cadet is NOT required to possess BDU's to progress through the "enlisted" grades. Since BDUs are required for encampments and encampments are required for the Mitchell award, they are required to make cadet officer, but otherwise, no.

Actually, by the regs we can never require our cadets to wear anything but the free uniform unless we issue it.

ES could be argued as a different beast because ES is 100% optional in terms of progression, however the encampment isn't, so despite our equipment lists, etc., were a cadet to make an issue of it we'd have a hard time enforcing the requirement.

"That Others May Zoom"

afgeo4

Quote from: Eclipse on November 23, 2008, 02:40:24 AM
Quote from: afgeo4 on November 23, 2008, 12:54:50 AM

Actually, by the regs we can never require our cadets to wear anything but the free uniform unless we issue it.

ES could be argued as a different beast because ES is 100% optional in terms of progression, however the encampment isn't, so despite our equipment lists, etc., were a cadet to make an issue of it we'd have a hard time enforcing the requirement.
I agree. I don't understand how we require BDUs for encampments and then make them mandatory for Mitchell without issuing BDU's to the cadets in the first place. Either that or the regs have to change.
GEORGE LURYE

chiles

I think that pre-encampments are another name for the Airman Academies some squadrons have. The usual goal is to provide the basic skills necessary to pass the Curry and Arnold Achievement tests (basic drill, chain of command, uniforms, etc.). They are usually held at the squadron or group level and, at least in my experience, are run by senior cadet NCOs with a cadet project officer and a few senior members for support and supervision. Some are overnight, others can be restricted to day instruction and span a weekend or two.

I have the senior cadets in my squadron set aside flight time during the weeks leading up to Encampment to teach some skills to help them out on the first few days. They go over military bed-making, ironing uniforms, encampment schedules, memory work (beyond the Cadet Oath), and field questions from the cadets about the experience. I hold similar meetings for the parents. We go over the paperwork and medical issues (in private). I answer a lot of questions about the schedule, concerns about misconceptions (some think that their child is being trained for combat), and disseminate schedule data (drop off, graduation, etc.).
Maj Christopher Hiles, MS, RN BSN, CAP
Commander
Ft McHenry Composite Squadron
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing
Mitchell: 43417
Wilson: 2878