Main Menu

Does NESA do RST?

Started by Eclipse, August 16, 2008, 03:12:57 AM

Eclipse

...as required by 52-16 for any activity which includes 4 overnights?

I don't recall seeing anything in the planning documentation about this and I've always wondered when they are doing it.

"That Others May Zoom"

CadetProgramGuy

They should have for staff, prior to everyone elses arrivial.

flyguy06

Thats a good question. I wondered that yself. But it would the individual states responsiblity to make sure their participants get RST, not the NESA staff right? The reason I say that is because when we had our region Encampment each Wing was responsible for making sure their cadets got RST.

RiverAux

I can't see how the unit holding the event would not be responsible for at least making sure the staff had the training even if they hadn't given it themselves. 

Eclipse

RST is required, specific to the activity, regardless of whether or not the participants have attended it before or even that year.  Part 1 may be waived at the director's discretion, but part 2 is required for each activity, respectively.

Quote from: CPR 52-16, Page 6
f. Required Staff Training. Cadets and seniors who serve on the staff of an encampment, national cadet special activity, region cadet leadership school, a similar cadet activity lasting 4 nights in duration or longer, or at any other cadet activity designated by the wing commander, will complete the Required Staff Training (RST).

(1) Staff members must complete RST before participating at the activity. Only the activity director, deputy activity director or an individual selected by the wing commander may lead RST. The instructor must conduct the training in accordance with CAPP 52-12, Required Staff Training. For course materials, see www.cap.gov/cadets.

(2) The training is organized into two lessons. Part 1 is entitled, "How to Avoid the Hazing Trap." Part 2 is entitled, "Using ORM to Avoid the Hazing Trap." Personnel will complete RST each time they serve on staff at one of the activities listed above. However, the activity director may, at his or her discretion, excuse a member from Part 1 of RST if the member has previously completed it. When exercising his or her discretion, the activity director should consider whether he or she can conduct a viable class without the member and whether the member can make a significant contribution to the class. All cadets and senior staff will complete Part 2 of RST every time they serve on staff at one of the activities listed above.

(3) Activity directors will create a roster of all cadets and seniors serving on staff at their activity and will certify whether each completed RST, and keep that information on file at the echelon's headquarters for 3 years.

"That Others May Zoom"

flyguy06

Quote from: RiverAux on August 17, 2008, 03:21:16 AM
I can't see how the unit holding the event would not be responsible for at least making sure the staff had the training even if they hadn't given it themselves. 

yes, the unit holding the event is responsible for making sure the members have RST. They can check with the Wing of the members

IceNine

^ No they can't.  Checking with the members wing has nothing to do with RST.  RST is ACTIVITY SPECIFIC, meaning that it must be provided for that specific activity.

I can go to encampment the week before NESA but I'd still have to do RST (part 2) at NESA even though I'd done it a week earlier.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

flyguy06

Maybe I mis spoke. Let me explain. When we did our region Encampment, The group from my Wing was given RST from our Wing DCP before we got to the activity.

Eclipse

Quote from: flyguy06 on August 19, 2008, 02:07:27 PM
Maybe I mis spoke. Let me explain. When we did our region Encampment, The group from my Wing was given RST from our Wing DCP before we got to the activity.

Which is likely fine, assuming that the session was authorized by the encampment commander and specific to the activity (i.e., you can't run an annual, wing-level RST for everyone that covers as a blanket).

I'm not aware that NESA did this n my state, and I have members who participated as staff who did not do any RST.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on August 19, 2008, 05:28:30 PM
(i.e., you can't run an annual, wing-level RST for everyone that covers as a blanket).

Why not? RST is simple enough. I think it's actually kind of pointless as it just reiterates the CPPT. If you have a localized risk you need to addressing that with everyone present so why not just do that at the orientation?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: davidsinn on August 19, 2008, 06:18:13 PM
(i.e., you can't run an annual, wing-level RST for everyone that covers as a blanket).

Why not? RST is simple enough.

Because its against the regulations.

52-16 is clear that RST must be specific to the activity, and run for each one, respectively. 

If you serve on staff at 4 encampments, and 3 4-night bivouacs, you have to participate in RST (at least section 2) 7 times that year.

Quote from: davidsinn on August 19, 2008, 06:18:13 PMI think it's actually kind of pointless as it just reiterates the CPPT.

No, it really doesn't, especially Part 2, which is specific to planning and preparation of the activity in a way to minimize the opportunity for Hazing to even occur.  Remember RST is specifically about Hazing in an encampment environment, not the generalized CPT training afforded in level 1.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on August 19, 2008, 06:35:17 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on August 19, 2008, 06:18:13 PM

Why not? RST is simple enough.

Because its against the regulations.

That was more a rhetorical question of: why is it against regs? You should be avoiding hazing all the time not just at encampment so that's why I don't see the point in a special class. And to require a person to go through it multiple times in a year simply because they go to a different activity is kind of dumb as it is a waste of time. I guess my problem is not the concept of RST but the execution of it.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Pathfinder

I wonder who conducted it at the National Board meeting?  It is 4 days and there are cadets there.

IceNine

The National Board meeting is not a Cadet Activity, neither is the annual conference.  Therefore RST is not required.

Quote from: 52-16f. Required Staff Training. Cadets and seniors who serve on the staff of an encampment, national cadet special activity, region cadet leadership school, a similar cadet activity lasting 4 nights in duration or longer, or at any other cadet activity designated by the wing commander, will complete the Required Staff Training (RST).[quote/]

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Pathfinder

My point.  NESA is a national activity- not a national cadet special activity.  Close to half the participation is senior membership.  While some wings may run cadets through their special activity boards for it, NESA doesn't use cadet rankings for acceptance or even look at the information as they have their own registration.  They simply require wing approval.

IceNine

However there is cadet staff, and staff that are appointed to supervise cadets.  So at a very minimum, everyone that is appointed to staff for schools where cadets have been accepted should have RST.

So that means all of the GSAR staff, and IF MAS, and ICSS has cadets they should have it to.

As well as the commander and other staff that are superiors to the GSAR commandant

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Pathfinder

Quote from: IceNine on August 20, 2008, 03:49:04 AM
However there is cadet staff, and staff that are appointed to supervise cadets.  So at a very minimum, everyone that is appointed to staff for schools where cadets have been accepted should have RST.

So that means all of the GSAR staff, and IF MAS, and ICSS has cadets they should have it to.

As well as the commander and other staff that are superiors to the GSAR commandant

That's not what the regs say.

They would have done better to get someone with experience working with youth to write the program too.  I am a big advocate of treating the cadet program as a youth program and taught youth protection and working with youth guidelines long before CAP required them.  It is a shame this was just pieced together by someone without a background in working with youth.  They also leached photos from the net without permission of the photographers or respect of copyright.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Pathfinder

Aviation Challenge, EAA's Air Academy, and Space Camp are also credited as special activities.

John Bryan

Quote from: Pathfinder on August 20, 2008, 02:54:55 PM
Aviation Challenge, EAA's Air Academy, and Space Camp are also credited as special activities.

Very true they are the non-CAP activities that a cadet can go to and still get the NCSA ribbon. These events/programs are not run by CAP. Who runs NESA? This list used to also include NYLF's....side question, anyone know why NYLF was removed?

Simple fix , if they don't do RST then just remove NESA from the list of NCSA's. IIRC the members don't go through the NCSA selection process anyway.

BUT one important question.....the question is not if NESA has to do RST, the better question is should they have to do RST? Is there risk (ORM) for the problems RST is designed to prevent? If yes then for the good of both the seniors and cadets they should do RST.