Main Menu

SUPTFC 08-01

Started by Taber4, July 11, 2008, 11:16:15 PM

Taber4

I'm going to be at SUPTFC MS for this week.  I'm so pumped up and can't wait.  I'm just starting this to see how many people here have been to this and are going this year.  I hope to post at least some pictures and stories from this year's class.

See ya in a week.
Wes Clark
C/CMSgt
MA-071: Pilgrim Squadron, Plymouth MA
Squadron First Sergeant
Alpha Color Guard Commander

Duke Dillio

What's SUPTFC MS?  Funny people with their acronyms...    :P

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyguy06

I went to it when I was a cadet............in 1984. It was called ATCFC then. We drove to Columbus AFB, MS. I had a great time. I stil have the pic of me in a flight suit next to a T-38 and my class photo. You will have a great time. be sure to tell us all about it when you get back.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: flyguy06 on July 13, 2008, 12:14:32 AM
I went to it when I was a cadet............in 1984. It was called ATCFC then. We drove to Columbus AFB, MS. I had a great time. I stil have the pic of me in a flight suit next to a T-38 and my class photo. You will have a great time. be sure to tell us all about it when you get back.

For all you young pups, ATCFC 1979 Laughlin AFB grad here...

(Florida Wing contingent... I'm the squinting C/Sgt front row, second from left. Too cool for wearing sunglasses in the bright South Texas sun.)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

PHall

Ah yess, back when we had to wear those (bleep, bleep) shoulder boards on the light blue shirts.
What a PITA that was.  >:(

Duke Dillio

Was that back in the day when it was legal for CAP cadets to fly in aircraft equipped with ejection seats?

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Sqn72DO on July 13, 2008, 02:53:39 PM
Was that back in the day when it was legal for CAP cadets to fly in aircraft equipped with ejection seats?

Yea, when dinosaurs roamed the earth...  ;D

In 'them thar ol' days' the capstone for ATCFC was an o-ride in the back seat of a T-38 for the top cadink (who had to be at least 16 at the time and get certified in the altitude chamber for the ride of their life). We had superb USAF airlift support; the Florida contingent got to ride space-a in a T-43A from the DC ANG (72-0284) from Homestead to Columbus and finally to Laughlin. Coming back, operational requirements forced the T-43 to dump us at West Palm Beach International instead of back at Homestead; many parents from South Florida (incuding my own) had to schlep the family truckster up north to pick us up.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

mikeylikey

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on July 13, 2008, 03:47:38 PM
the capstone for ATCFC was an o-ride in the back seat of a T-38 for the top cadink (who had to be at least 16 at the time and get certified in the altitude chamber for the ride of their life).

That would have been freaking awesome!!
What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

INteresting to me that they actually run two of these a year rather than just one like other NCSAs that I'm familiar with.

PHall

Quote from: RiverAux on July 13, 2008, 04:24:29 PM
INteresting to me that they actually run two of these a year rather than just one like other NCSAs that I'm familiar with.

They run multiple sessions at multiple locations to handle the load without disrupting the ongoing training.

AlphaSigOU

They always have, ever since I was a cadink; for those not old enough or with not enough rank to be eligible for IACE or COS (there was no CLA back then) ATCFC was the most popular special activity to go to, which is why it's offered at two bases.

You only needed the Curry to get to PJOC, but the physical aptitude requirements were just as tough then as it is now. Few applied for or got PJOC. All other 'special acts' (as we in Florida Wing called 'em) needed a minimum of the Wright Brothers achievement (note to youse young pups trying to correct an old ex-cadink: it was not a milestone award then) completed by the time the activity started.

One usually got to go to a specific activity only once; the second time I went through FL Wing special acts selection in 1980 I got AFLCOP (Air Force Logistics Command Orientation Program) at Robins AFB. Unlike ATCFC it consisted mostly of tours of the depot maintenance hangars, where the F-15 and C-141 were going through depot maintenance. Only bit of excitement was touring the active SAC alert facility of the 19th Bomb Wing. Major attitude difference going from the loggie side of Robins to the SAC side. The SAC warriors were always on a war footing; we were told to very quickly get out of the way if the klaxon should sound, lest the alert crews trample you on the way to their planes.

I'm not sure if AFLCOP was ever offered at other logistics bases such as Kelly, Hill or McClellan, though. Eventually, AFLCOP died out.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

CASH172

Well, I just got back from Laughlin AFB, TX for the SUPTFC-TX.  I will say it was quite an experience and everyone had a good time.  Got to ride the T-1, use a lot of the sims, meet the AFBlues author "Farva," and get a glimpse of the SUPT environment. 

SAR-EMT1

You met Farva? ... how did you manage that?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

CASH172

He works in the PA Office for Laughlin.  I suggested and one of the cadets contacted him via the website and he responded.  He did a small interview and writeup for his regular PA job and then did some bowling with us.  He also gave us some cool goodies, some of these goodies give an idea of the current storyline.  I will say one of these goodies says, "Dahl for President 2008"

DC

Quote from: CASH172 on July 15, 2008, 07:12:59 PM
He did a small interview and writeup for his regular PA job and then did some bowling with us. 
Here is a link to the article he wrote

http://www.laughlin.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123106492

Duke Dillio

Nice article.  Almost makes me wish I were 16 again so I could go.....

Taber4

This activity was probably the best thing I have done in a while if not in my life.  I loved it.  It has only pushed me further in my goal of becoming a pilot.  I would highly recommend this course as a number one choice to go to for CAP.  If you want to become a pilot for the Air Force then in your future you're going to have to go through the actual SUPT (Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training) and this course is a great way to see if you really want it enough. 

For myself I know that this is what I want to do.  Over this one week I pushed myself farther than I thought I could go and I did great.  I didn't get any awards but I did pass the course and that was a pretty big accomplishment for everyone there.  Anyone out there who wants to be a pilot should do this course.

Boysan Flight!
Honor Flight!
Wes Clark
C/CMSgt
Squadron First Sergeant

CASH172

Now I think you should probably clarify that there are two different SUPTFCs in CAP.  They both have the same intentions but offer slightly different things.  I haven't been to both so I can't really highlights the differences, but rumor has it that MS is more academically pressing. 

Taber4

^
Yes you're right.  There is the one in Mississippi on Columbus AFB and then there is the one in Texas at Laughlin AFB.  I have now been to the one at Columbus and I have heard from people who have done both and they say the the one at Columbus completely destroys the one at Laughlin.  I am also going to add in the fact that Columbus offers the same course two times.  All of the cadets were asked to stay the next week and help out on staff.  I would have because it's free but I have stuff at home that I have to do.
Wes Clark
C/CMSgt
Squadron First Sergeant

jrsvf

BOYSAN FLIGHT...HAND SALUTE!!!!!!

Capt Jim Flaviani, CAP
Flight Commander
Boysan Flight, SUPT-FC 08-01