TXWG Winter Encampment

Started by jb512, October 28, 2007, 11:45:55 PM

jb512

Other than talking about what color underwear we should mandate based on the material of gray pants you wear with your selection of golf shirt with or without a baseball cap with black shiny shoes vs. black plastic shoes, I thought I'd start up a useful thread.

There are a handful of us here who are going, so begin...

AlphaSigOU

First time I've been to an encampment since my cadink days 30 years ago. Was honor graduate of the 1978 Georgia Wing Cadet Leadership School (don't ask me why it wasn't called an encampment, but I still got credit for a Type 'A'). I never did an encampment in Florida Wing, but did qualify for and attend two NCSAs.

I'm going in with a little trepidation being the admin officer for the encampment, but I have a good mentor in Maj. Phyllis Sutton, who's showing me the fine points of working the Encampment Management Program.

If you're looking for me at the encampment when I'm not imprisoned in the encampment staff office, look for the captain in CAP utilities. (Read: faux flight suit. Ain't wearing no BDUs or BBDUs!) Of course, I'll have a set of blues and service dress for those times that are required. I might even bring a -gasp- set of polos and grays!

It's so [darn]ed hard - being a former cadink - not to resist correcting a young Cadet Snuffy on a uniform violation, but I've gotta remember (slams 2X4 upside head - ouch!) to avoid doing that and let the cadets run the show.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

jb512

I was a TAC at this year's summer encampment, but the last I had been to before that was my encampment when I was a cadet, and four leadership schools in high school for my afjrotc program.  So, I got to experience it from the bottom up on the cadet side.

Summer was fun, and it is hard to keep your nose out of the cadets' business when you know what should be happening, but I found it quite easy to get my flight commander/sergeant's attention and make a gesture or two in a way that didn't interfere with or undermine their responsibilities.  We also had to watch them make mistakes to learn from at the same time.

Someone ;) had a cooler with beverages that we shared during the 10 minutes between us being sent to bed and then falling into our bunks.  The cadet admin staff was fun to jack with.  We inadvertently started a pumpkin dumping craze after another Lt and I emptied one over a certain C/LtCol's head...

If anyone has Barron's email address, can you pm me with it since I lost it?  I didn't see him on the list.

jasonmc

I may be there but have not seen the list yet.
J. McClaren

pperkiro

Quote from: jaybird512 on October 29, 2007, 12:59:15 AM
I was a TAC at this year's summer encampment, but the last I had been to before that was my encampment when I was a cadet, and four leadership schools in high school for my afjrotc program.  So, I got to experience it from the bottom up on the cadet side.

Summer was fun, and it is hard to keep your nose out of the cadets' business when you know what should be happening, but I found it quite easy to get my flight commander/sergeant's attention and make a gesture or two in a way that didn't interfere with or undermine their responsibilities.  We also had to watch them make mistakes to learn from at the same time.

Someone ;) had a cooler with beverages that we shared during the 10 minutes between us being sent to bed and then falling into our bunks.  The cadet admin staff was fun to jack with.  We inadvertently started a pumpkin dumping craze after another Lt and I emptied one over a certain C/LtCol's head...

If anyone has Barron's email address, can you pm me with it since I lost it?  I didn't see him on the list.

You looking for Jerry Barron from Blacksheep? PM me and I can get you in touch with him.
Paul A. Perkins
Major, CAP
ESO Group III, Texas Wing
C\LtCOl (Ret)

AlphaSigOU

KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

DrDave

Say, what are the dates for the Texas Wing Winter Encampment?

We're not having a Winter Encampment in Missouri and I like to let my squadrons know what our surrounding states are doing.

Thanks!
Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: DrDave on October 30, 2007, 08:04:07 PM

We're not having a Winter Encampment in Missouri and I like to let my squadrons know what our surrounding states are doing.

Thanks!
Dr. Dave

December 26-31, 2007 at Camp Swift, Bastrop, Texas (SE of Austin).
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

DrDave

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on October 30, 2007, 10:06:04 PM
Quote from: DrDave on October 30, 2007, 08:04:07 PM

Thanks!
Dr. Dave

December 26-31, 2007 at Camp Swift, Bastrop, Texas (SE of Austin).

Thanks!
Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

iniedrauer

Looks like I might be the only cadet posting here so far...

I'll be heading to my fourth Encampment, second on staff.  Once again, I'll be Golf Flight Sergeant and should have some fun now that it's something I have experience doing.  Looking forward...

AlphaSigOU

So far, the list of CAPTalkers on staff for the TX Wing Winter Encampment:

2d Lt Badder - TAC
Maj Nall - TAC
Maj Perkins - Chief TAC
C/SMSgt Niedrauer - Golf Flight Sgt
Myself - Administrative Officer

Any more in hiding?
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

jeders

Wish I could go, unfortunately I have a feeling I'll be revising a TxDOT report during my Christmas Break so that I can get my Masters.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Major Carrales

We are expecting a Baby during that WINDOW and, thus, I will not be able to attend.  My first daughter came way early, like a month, so I am not taking any chances.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Major Carrales on November 18, 2007, 06:17:44 PM
We are expecting a Baby during that WINDOW and, thus, I will not be able to attend.  My first daughter came way early, like a month, so I am not taking any chances.

Future CAP cadet, huh...? Congrats in advance, Maj. C.!
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

iniedrauer

You can add S/M Jason McClaren to that list (jasonmc), looks like he'll be a TAC/O.

addo1

Quote from: sgtniedrauer on November 16, 2007, 08:06:33 PM
Looks like I might be the only cadet posting here so far...

I'll be heading to my fourth Encampment, second on staff.  Once again, I'll be Golf Flight Sergeant and should have some fun now that it's something I have experience doing.  Looking forward...

Addison Jaynes here.  It will be my first encampment and I am looking forward to it.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

DNall

5th encampment. So overjoyed to be working for people I trained in the past, but they're good folks. 10-12 man flts, which is a waste of my time - I command 90 in the guard.

Heads up on TAC staff... your assignemnts are fluid right now. We got 4 female TACs & they may be redist to get one per Sq. Also, not sure what the total number of basics/ATS will be till the deadline. May contract line & TAC staff to accomodate.

Encampment should be good. Col Eldridge is doing an great job with C/Maj Rojas. Stuff on that level should be squared away more than you are used to. The trng schedule is jacked though as of last wknd, and the C/trng officer is from Hawaii & not really in contact as of yet. Hopefully that'll get worked out shortly.

POCs for your dept staff should be out from Maj Sutton shortly, but don't freak if it doesn't show till the third or so.

If you're on TAC staff & wanna talk a little, feel free to msg me.

iniedrauer

10-12?  More like 14-20.  This Summer had few cadets per flight (13 if I'm correct), but last winter had 22, so numbers change around all the time.

Dad2-4

Wish I could be there. I did TAC at winter in 02 at Camp Bullis and in 03 for the first winter at Swift. Maybe next year. I'm thinking about Summer since I'm starting a middle school squadron and hope to get several cadets to attend.

AlphaSigOU

Two days to go... well, one for me, as I will be traveling down to Camp Swift on the afternoon of Christmas Day to get admin set up for the encampment.

See you all in Camp Swift!
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

scott2999

I noticed that a lot of the guys at Camp Swift (Winter Encampment) had High & Tight haircuts that looked way better than from any barber I've had.

Does anybody know if any cadets got haircuts during Winter Encampment or has everyone already gotten them by the time they arrive in Bastrop?  Is there a particular barber shop around there that people in the military use there?

DNall

Well that's a year old thread... but get your hair cut before you show up. If it's not in regs when you get there & you do have the opportunity to get it cut, I wouldn't expect a whole lot left.

Second, this year's winter encampment is not at Swift (unfortunately). It's at the Alert Academy. See texascadet.org for details. As I understand, they signed a 3yr contract over there.

After that, TXARNG-RTI is currently building a large new facility in another section of Camp Swift. That'll be open by then & will relieve the overcrowding issues that have kept us out of the booked up facilities there, and caused the higher costs for using the place. We should have basically free use of the RTI facility for encampments when it is complete.