Medical Education and Training Campus NCSA

Started by pdjd7428, June 28, 2012, 01:13:00 AM

pdjd7428

Quote from: PA Guy on July 03, 2012, 05:55:52 AM
Your course will have to have some academics to make it valid. 

You have a valid point, but I already addressed that concern in a previous post:

Quote from: pdjd7428 on June 29, 2012, 01:55:23 PM
-1st Phase (BDU's): Learning basic Emergency and Combat Medicine techniques (Certification as National Registry of EMT's Emergency Medical Responder/68W Orientation/M9 Familiarization Fire)

For those unfamiliar with Emergency Medical Responders (EMR's); EMR is the 1st professional level EMS certification offered by the National Registry of EMT's (NREMT). It involves a 40-60 hour classroom/hands-on course and skills testing session. Once those 2 portions are passed, a candidate can take the NREMT EMR Computer Based Test. Once the candidate passes the test, they are Nationally Certifled as an EMR and can apply to their individual states for licensure.

And about your concern about embracing the tri-service concept, with METC we don't have a choice. METC is run out of the Office of the Secretary of Defense with leadership from 4 branches of the military (USA, USAF, USCG, USN). If you have a better idea on how to get a US Army Commanding Officer and a US Navy Exexutive Officer on board with the concept, I'd be more than happy to hear it.
1st Lt. Jermaine Down, EMT-I
Health Services Officer
Southwest Region
SWR-SWR-001
HM3(FMF) US Navy 2002-2006

PA Guy

In my experience NHQ will want the course to be AF centric to give it NCSA status is all I'm saying.

How long do you envision the course?  If your course is built around the 40-60 hr. EMR curriculum that doesn't leave much time for exploring other health/allied health professions in the typical 10 day NCSA when including inprocessing and outprocessing days.  I also don't think NHQ will go for a primarily EMS course as a NCSA given CAPs aversion to providing anything beyond first aid as outlined in CAPR 160-1.  Does NREMT have a min. age to take the EMR test?  Many states/counties require a min. age of 18 to be cert/licensed as a EMR.

I am not knocking your idea at all, only trying to demonstrate some of the hurdles myself and others have run into trying to institute similar courses over the yrs.  To ans your original question though, I think a health services course would attract more cadet applicants than you would have slots for.

arajca

An issue I see with the EMR training is creating the impression that we are a medical response agency. I see this with folks coming back from NESA ("Sure I can wear the EMT badge since I completed the EMR training at NESA and they said it's a form of EMT") and getting upset when told to leave their field hospital at home ("No. We aren't assigin these five cadets to carry your oxygen tank and surgery kit"). I shouldn't mention the hmrs medics, but they're out there as well with similar attitudes plus the usual hmrs attitude issues.

Disclosure: I'm a retired vol FF/EMT in the mountains of CO. I'm familiar with the concept of oxygen deprivation.

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: arajca on July 07, 2012, 03:52:07 PM
An issue I see with the EMR training is creating the impression that we are a medical response agency. I see this with folks coming back from NESA ("Sure I can wear the EMT badge since I completed the EMR training at NESA and they said it's a form of EMT") and getting upset when told to leave their field hospital at home ("No. We aren't assigin these five cadets to carry your oxygen tank and surgery kit"). I shouldn't mention the hmrs medics, but they're out there as well with similar attitudes plus the usual hmrs attitude issues.

Disclosure: I'm a retired vol FF/EMT in the mountains of CO. I'm familiar with the concept of oxygen deprivation.

Really? Do you really have to hijack every thread into an HMRS thread? Shame on you. This is almost as bad as the "radioman" and his uniform issues.

[shaking head]

Disclosure: I'm not at HMRS this year because I'm supposed to be doing some teaching overseas in a couple of weeks. I'm a current volunteer FF/EMT-P in PA who teaches EMR, EMT, and EMT-P classes full-time.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Eclipse

That's not a hijack, that's a salient comment, and one I alluded to early on.  He just said what many of us were thinking.

Anything characterized as an "orientation" which these types of career NCSA's are supposed to be, should not be composed with the intention
of providing any EMT / EMS, or similar certification.  Both for the fact that there are better ways to do it outside CAP, and because a career orientation
activity should not a single-threaded technical training seminar.

PJOC cadets don't become PJ's, SUPT cadets aren't fighter pilots, Space Fam cadets aren't astronauts, Man & Maint Acad cadets aren't A&Ps, and a military medical academy should be a 50-k foot "show and tell" of all or most of the specialties from prevention to nuclear medicine.

Not EMT school, which would also likely stifle it from ever reaching NCSA status, since NHQ is reticent about duplicating NCSAs.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

If you really want to include some medical training, provide first aid/CPR/AED followed by instructor training for those. That provides for the level of care allowed by CAP regs AND gives participants a unique skill/certification they can bring home. It also removes the "MEDIC" issue developed by other programs.

Consider adding familiarization/orientation on the back-of-the-house side of medical service. Pharmacy, admin, logistics, facilities, finance, etc.

arajca

Quote from: arajca on July 08, 2012, 03:41:55 AM
If you really want to include some medical training, provide first aid/CPR/AED followed by instructor training for those. That provides for the level of care allowed by CAP regs AND gives participants a unique skill/certification they can bring home. It also removes the "MEDIC" issue developed by other programs.
To continue this thought...
if someone complains they already have first air/cpr/aed, tough cookies, they get it again. This ensures everyone has fresh, current, and the same knowledge for the instructor course. Which should be the same system as the FA/CPR/AED course.

arajca

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on July 07, 2012, 08:54:44 PM
Quote from: arajca on July 07, 2012, 03:52:07 PM

Really? Do you really have to hijack every thread into an HMRS thread? Shame on you. This is almost as bad as the "radioman" and his uniform issues.

[shaking head]
If you notice, I pointed at NESA as a primary offender as well. You could probably add LESA, but I haven't met any of those folks.

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on July 08, 2012, 06:11:49 PM
Quote from: arajca on July 08, 2012, 03:41:55 AM
To continue this thought...
if someone complains they already have first air/cpr/aed, tough cookies, they get it again. This ensures everyone has fresh, current, and the same knowledge for the instructor course. Which should be the same system as the FA/CPR/AED course.

No issue there - it has to be redone every 2-3 years for everyone, anyway.

"That Others May Zoom"

BillB

It would be possible in a six day school to get cadets and seniors certified as "First Responders". It is a 40 hour course. It also teaches what a First Responder can NOT do for medical emergencies.   A First Responder is just one step above Advanced First Aid. The big problem would be finding qualified certified instructors. Locally for example in the mid-sized County, there are only three and all teach at community college level so they would not be at no charge for teaching the program.
And I'm not sure if there is a minimum age limit.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Eclipse

Quote from: BillB on July 08, 2012, 07:10:17 PM
It would be possible in a six day school to get cadets and seniors certified as "First Responders". It is a 40 hour course. It also teaches what a First Responder can NOT do for medical emergencies.   A First Responder is just one step above Advanced First Aid. The big problem would be finding qualified certified instructors. Locally for example in the mid-sized County, there are only three and all teach at community college level so they would not be at no charge for teaching the program.

Yes, but that's not "military medical career exploration" is it?  That's a "first responder school", and there's no reason to do that through CAP, nor would it ever get NCSA status in and of itself.

"That Others May Zoom"

BillB

If ou think back the "old" cadet program requyired cadets to complete a Red Cross First Aid course.  Many Squadrons offer the same First Aid classes. Now I'm not saying that a First Responder school should be a National Cadet Special  Activity, but rather to be offered at a Wing level or even Group level (for Wings with Groups) summer activity. As you are aware many Wings put on their own summer activity, so this would fit right in. It would provide knowledgable cadets or seniors knowing what to do and NOT do until the EMT's arrive at a plane crash or vehicle accident.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Eclipse

OK, I don't disagree, but I don't see what that has to do with this topic.

"That Others May Zoom"