Main Menu

Temporary card?

Started by star1151, July 23, 2007, 10:58:21 PM

star1151

Maybe this is a stupid question and I should know the answer - but I got my membership card in the mail today and it says "Temporary".  Why?

CAP Producer

Because your Background Check has not been complete. When that happens you will get a new card.
AL PABON, Major, CAP

star1151

I thought my membership number showing up in the system meant that my background check was complete.

JohnKachenmeister

Nope.  Just a preliminary check based on the name you gave.  They have to check your fingerprints to make sure you are who you say you are, and that you didn't get in trouble under another name.
Another former CAP officer

star1151

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 23, 2007, 11:26:37 PM
Nope.  Just a preliminary check based on the name you gave.  They have to check your fingerprints to make sure you are who you say you are, and that you didn't get in trouble under another name.

Ok...so another stupid question.  Does this mean I can't actually participate in any activities until that happens?  This sounds like kind of a strange limbo status to be in.....

Al Sayre

No, it means that you must be under the supervision of someone who has completed CPPT and is already approved when around Cadets.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

star1151

And here I thought it would make more sense to wait until everything was complete....

JohnKachenmeister

You're not worried about something, are you?

star1151

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 23, 2007, 11:41:35 PM
You're not worried about something, are you?

I've never even had a traffic ticket...actually not something I'm proud of.

So no, not worried, just getting really frustrated with all the slowness and issues that keep popping up.  Not that everything needs to make sense, but this doesn't at all.

JohnKachenmeister

Checking fingerprints is a labor-intensive process.  There are lots of fingerprints to check on incoming aliens (the legal ones) and the thousands of persons arrested every day who may be using an identity not their own.  Add to that all the agencies which, like us, need criminal background checks and you have a built-in, many-month delay. 

star1151

Eh, maybe it's just me, but I'd rather wait than only be sort of a member.  Just me?  Oh, well.

floridacyclist

Nothing is stopping you from staying home until your permanent card arrives...it's that whole "volunteer thing" you know....

Seriously, it's not a big deal. It'll come to pass before too long.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Stonewall

Man, if this frustrates you, wait until you get knee deep into the nuts and bolts of CAP.  You ain't seen nothing yet.  Department of Redundancy Department sound familiar?  Hey man, you're working with volunteers and very few paid people.  Not that the prints are under our control, but I'm sure everyone from your commander on up to personnel at Maxwell has done their job.  Consider the "Temporary" card a card of good faith.  You'll be a real member soon young Jedi.  And you'll see, the perks, benifits, pay and uniform allowance just start pouring in.  Nothing like when you're just a temp.  :angel:  >:D
Serving since 1987.

star1151

Quote from: Stonewall on July 24, 2007, 01:04:30 AM
Man, if this frustrates you, wait until you get knee deep into the nuts and bolts of CAP.  You ain't seen nothing yet.

It's not the time, it's getting a card that apparently means zero.  Seems like a really inefficient way to do things...I'm just one of those people who looks for things to make sense.  Maybe I'm in the wrong organization, but I just don't get it.

jimmydeanno

I'm sure that the parents of cadets whom you aren't allowed to work with alone appreciate the steps we take to ensure the safety of their children.

The temporary doesn't mean you can't do anything in CAP until it's 'permanent.'  You can still do everything else exept work with cadets alone.  Try completing level 1 and get yourself off to a 'Great Start', by the time you do that, your status should be permanent.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

star1151

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 24, 2007, 01:59:23 AM
I'm sure that the parents of cadets whom you aren't allowed to work with alone appreciate the steps we take to ensure the safety of their children.

The temporary doesn't mean you can't do anything in CAP until it's 'permanent.'  You can still do everything else exept work with cadets alone.  Try completing level 1 and get yourself off to a 'Great Start', by the time you do that, your status should be permanent.

Trying not to roll my eyes, but as the least maternal woman in the world, I find it laughable they'd think I'd WANT to be around children.  I made sure going into this that I wouldn't have to work with cadets...I just don't know how to interact with children.  Also, as someone who has never broken a rule in her life, I find it extremely offensive for everyone to assume I'm a child abuser unless proven otherwise.  My parents never sat around and worried about who was working with their children, and if the parents of cadets are so worried, maybe they ought to keep their children locked up at home.

Anyway, Level I is done and has been for quite some time.  Why does everyone think it's not?

Screw this.  Obviously I have different priorities than anyone else.

Stonewall

Here's the deal.  If you're not working with cadets, then you're totally good to go.  You're getting all worked up over nothing.  It has nothing to do with priorities, it's just the way it is.  It's a priviledge to be in CAP, not a right.  Truth is, it's not a big deal.  Many of us had been cadets before turning senior and even had to get a temporary card.  Consider it a ticket to do things in CAP with a few limitations.  And since you don't care to work with cadets, then those limitations are irrelevant to your situation.

Folks were asking about your completion of Level I because often times there can be a few months from the time someone joins and the time they attend Level I training.  Again, not a big deal, just a few people with different experiences here.

If you've got Level I and your temp ID card, you're no different than any of us, except you can't be one on one with cadets, but again, not an issue.  So go to your meetings, attend ES activities, and sit in at whatever professional development training is being offered in your area.

You're a member, that's the long and short of it.
Serving since 1987.

SARMedTech

Quote from: star1151 on July 24, 2007, 01:41:55 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on July 24, 2007, 01:04:30 AM
Man, if this frustrates you, wait until you get knee deep into the nuts and bolts of CAP.  You ain't seen nothing yet.

It's not the time, it's getting a card that apparently means zero.  Seems like a really inefficient way to do things...I'm just one of those people who looks for things to make sense.  Maybe I'm in the wrong organization, but I just don't get it.

We are after all, a military auxiliary. I think the folks with PME will back me up if I say that efficiency is not an option and that resistance to this concept is futile. There are some new cloths out there being made for EMS/ES uniforms particularly things like Fire/EMS turnouts. It protects against some direct contact chemical and quite a few biologicals. The stuff has been around for about 5 years. HLS said they would give any EMS agency grants for coats made with the stuff as long as they had a federal, state or local EMS/ES contract. We applied for the grant and got it. Time from applying for money to getting coats...2.5 years. Its nothing personal its just that theyre from the governement and theyre here to help.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

floridacyclist

I don't see what's so inefficient...she doesn't want to work with cadets and CAP doesn't want her working alone with cadets for the time being. We seem to all be on the same page, so what's the issue again?
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

IceNine

Quote from: floridacyclist on July 24, 2007, 02:56:52 AM
I don't see what's so inefficient...she doesn't want to work with cadets and CAP doesn't want her working alone with cadets for the time being. We seem to all be on the same page, so what's the issue again?

Patience...
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4