Main Menu

When do I get to be a 2LT?

Started by Nomex Maximus, July 14, 2007, 10:07:24 PM

floridacyclist

I don't think this guy (the CC) is as evil as some of you have made him out to be. In my experience as Personnel Officer, many CCs simply have no clue how important it is to stay on top of your people's accomplishments. They either underestimate the importance of a little recognition or expect folks to literally know, understand and follow the regs that state that "the member will complete a CAPF2a and forward it up the chain of command". of course this doesn't take into account many newbie's inexperience or reluctance to put in for their own stuff (something that you eventually get over for most of the smaller things like awards and promotions).

Have you tried talking to your Personnel Officer about this yet? They should be handling it if the CC isn't - all you need the CC for is a signature anyway although he can then choose to submit it the rest of the way electronically if it is a special promotion or through E-Services if it is a duty-performance promotion.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Jolt

Quote from: capchiro on July 15, 2007, 12:06:03 AM
What is with all of the new guys wanting rank immediately?  It would be nice if they showed their intentions first.  And while we are at it, There is a retired real Air Force General that works with cadets and the glider program because he loves to fly, he loves the program and he is full of enthusiasm and the cadets love him.  His rank in the CAP, Lt.Col. of course.  Now, if anybody has a gripe it's him.  So quit your bellyaching and enjoy the program or go away..   

Ooh!  I know him!  Great guy.  I only flew with him once for a quick lesson in the Schweitzer.  If I'm thinking of the same AF Maj Gen, then he does tend to wear his AF uniform even for CAP functions and there are even some people that think he's a CAP Maj Gen because no one ever calls him "colonel."

Ford73Diesel

"General" would be a more appropriate term for him. He should be, as a retired officer, afforded all approiate customs and courtesies.

The OHWG CC said we can call him Captain Winters (his AF rank when he retired) or Colonel Winters (his CAP rank)

SarDragon

I think you should call him whatever he requests or allows you to call him. Makes everybody happy.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

As a Squadron Commander, I try to keep up with everyone's accomplishments...there are times I miss things, but it gets rectified pretty fast.

If I may be so bold, the reason I put in "advanced promotions" is because I have always felt it represents training.  A Pilot has significant training outside of CAP to warrant an advancement.  So has an EMT and even a teacher.

A lisc. EMT has lots of course work and experience.  A Teacher has a degree and experience in the given field.  The Mechanic is also skilled and has been trained.  The Finance Officer who is a CPA has lots of education.  It represents, to me, all the training CAP can't give...but that CAP is given from the community of new membership.

If they are qualified to merit the awarding of a higher rank...by virture of school, training or experience, then they should get it.  After all, Rank in CAP comes from professional development.  It is also notable to mention that they are stuck at that rank until they backfill the CAP criteria to rise in Rank. 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

SARMedTech

I know we've beaten the whole professional promotion thing to death, but I came across this and thought it might offer some definitive answers...with pictures and everything. I also remember that there was a discussion on another thread about whether CAP officers should be required to have college degrees or at least some college. While its not required, apparently going to college can be of some assistance in getting promoted. My questions here is, if i am a health care professional, have a college degree, do i still have to wait 6 months for promotion under the professional promotion standards. Maybe I am just missing it on this little chart thingy. Anyway...here it is.

Sorry about the 2 attachments. I was trying to get it to actually post the chart and not just the link and now it wont let me take the second link off. Not sure if PDFs cannot be posted in the body of a thread or not. But if you follow the chart, it pretty clearly spells out the requirements for professional promotion.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

arajca

If you read the secondary title, you'll see this un-official, but well done, chart refers you back to CAPR 35-5 for details.

SARMedTech

Quote from: arajca on July 18, 2007, 03:50:57 AM
If you read the secondary title, you'll see this un-official, but well done, chart refers you back to CAPR 35-5 for details.

I guess one of the reasons that I posted it was that I was getting a little weary of hearing people talk about how they felt it was unfair that people with certain professions or licenses get promoted ahead of others. Im sorry if so and so that wants to be a Capt isnt an EMT or a teacher or lawyer, but thems the regs, so....and to be clear, when my professional promotion comes through, I intend to  go back and "back fill" all the necessary requirements that anyone else of equal rank would have to have done. We have a professionally promoted Capt in my Squad who didnt do this (or at least not all of it) and he couldnt find regs with two hands and a flashlight.  I think its a valuable idea that people with professional skills and licensures valuable to CAP gain promotions, but not only would I not really want a "hollow" grade, I would not feel as though I were able to live up the the requirements of being a 1st Lt or Capt simply because of my job. It would be very difficult for me if I were chosen for a command to carry out my duties if I had just taken the professional promotion and not fulfilled all the level requirements and other quals to be either a 1st Lt or Capt. So while  professional promotion may be in the works for me, anyone who thinks they are unfair can rest assured that there is at least one officer (and I expect more than one) who got his promotion because of his job but also because he fulfilled the requirements and got there the "right way." But I do so look forward to that "chicken foot" scarf.  ;)
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

AlphaSigOU

And in case anyone's wondering, I'm the poor, dumb SOB who created the above visual aid.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

SARMedTech

Im at a bit of a disadvantage because I cant see the chart since it didnt come with my attachment, but I talked to a woman who I believe was names Julie or Julia at Maxwell today. She was answering the "promotions phone" She stated that she had seen the chart and that it was incorrect. She said that under professional promotion, an EMT who complete levels one can go straight to 2d Lt without the six month wait. However, she said that the chart is incorrect in that it states that if the same EMT had a college degree, completed level one that he would not be made a 1st Lt as the chart I believe states.  She said, in essence, that the degree makes no difference in the professional appointment of the EMT..he still only goes to 2d Lt.
"Corpsman Up!"