Becoming a Buddhist CAP Chappie...

Started by SARMedTech, July 12, 2007, 01:36:46 PM

O-Rex

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 13, 2007, 04:46:24 AM
Actually, the standards for CAP chaplains and military ones are virtually the same.

The biggest differences? For CAP, no age limits, no physical limitations. That's about it. And CAP chaplains are getting tapped to provide support to Guard units all over the country. The Guard wouldn't accept them otherwise.

The educational requirements are the same. If a member doesn't have the full educational requirements, then they can be a Moral Leadership Officer. Even MLO's have advanced educational requirements in CAP.

Actually, CAP Chaplains must be approved by CAP-USAF.

It's interesting that they are the only folks in CAP who can serve as a "bolt-on" to the actual Military, albeit in a limited capacity.   

I once met an Army Buddhist Chaplain many years ago: I distinctly remembered the unusual wagon-wheel-like device that he wore, as chaplains wear their distinctive insignia in place of rank on their BDU and Garrison/Flight caps.

SARMedTech: I find that proposition of a Buddhist CAP Chaplain an interesting one, and I'm sure a few of us would be curious to see what comes from it.  Keep us posted.

Chaplaindon

Quote from: CaptLord on July 13, 2007, 02:17:19 AM
A: Chaplains support CAP members and operations. B: CAP Supports Air Force and Air Force Operations C: The Air Force Blows things up and kils people ( agood thing too!) Quad errat Demonstrandum: Chaplains help kill the enemy. ( and a good thing too!)

Buddism is as incompatible with the Military as Islam is with freedom.

Capt. Lord

As a protestant/Christian chaplain, I do not believe that "Blow[ing] things up and kils [sic] (killing?) people" to be "agood [sic] thing." It may be justifiable (in a given situation), but rarely, if ever, IMHO a good thing. Especially to the innocents who inevitably die as a consequence (the so-called "collateral damage") of even justifiable warfare.

Military chaplains are --per the Geneva Conventions and the UCMJ-- noncombatants. Military chaplains may not bear arms. We may not engage in fighting.

Captain Lord, you are thus wrong when you stated, "Chaplains help kill the enemy." They cannot and must not per the GC. If they engage in active combat, they forfeit their unique status and would most likely lose their vital ecclesiastical endorsement. That would NOT be "a good thing."

In addition, if military chaplains are captured (IAW the Geneva Conventions) thy are to be considered internees not POWs. As such they are expected to minister to personnel of both sides of the conflict and to have greater freedom of movement, etc.

Mind you, few nations obey the GC when it comes to POW treatment, let alone, chaplains. But such are the "rules."

Chaplains share the "good news" of their faith tradition and minister to the spiritual needs of those who fight battles as well as other dependent noncombatants (e.g. military families, etc.). Their "fight" is in the spiritual realm.

Most chaplains that I have spoken with take this distinction quite seriously. One operational/functional example of this that I am aware of is seen when an airman asks a chaplain to pray that the bombs on his/her aircraft hit the target as intended. Many chaplains, myself included would decline to do this. Prayer is not to aid the infliction of death and/or destruction. I serve the "Prince of Peace." On the other hand, if that same airman asked for prayers for her/his personal safety on a given mission --of requested prayer for a sick family member back home-- it would be granted lovingly.

As an active CAP chaplain, I welcome BOTH Buddhist AND Muslim chaplains in CAP. I KNOW we have Muslim members as I've served them as chaplain at encampments before. Likely we have Buddhist members as well. It's sad when people say myopic things such as "Buddism is as incompatible with the Military as Islam is with freedom." I wonder if you'd be so bold as to say that to the face of a bright-eyed, eager-to-learn, Muslim cadet at an encampment? I would hope not.

Thank goodness that it's the job of the chaplain to work to ensure "religious accommodation" and to counter such xenophobia. Let's welcome people and serve our country.

A Buddhist Chaplain in CAP is a "good thing."

As for the unique aspects of the training of a Buddhist priest versus the route to ordination of, for example, a Christian clergyperson or a Jewish Rabbi (and how that affects/effects the CAP chaplaincy appointment process); I suggest directly contacting Chaplain, Colonel Charles Sharp at NHQ. I suspect some clarification (and perhaps even some modification of regulations) is in order.

Good luck.

Rev. Don Brown, Ch., Lt Col, CAP (Ret.)
Former Deputy Director for CISM at CAP/HQ
Gill Robb Wilson Award # 1660
ACS-Chaplain, VFC, IPFC, DSO, NSO, USCG Auxiliary
AUXOP

ddelaney103

Remember that there are two separate (but related) aspects to a chaplain.

Their religious aspect (ordained by the church, etc)

Their counselor aspect (grad degree in theology, etc)

This is so you don't just get someone who can do services for a particular religion, but can support the broader chaplain duties as well.

As to Capt Lord's comments - please take it to CS's philosophy forum.

Major Lord

I think it is clear that Chaplains help carry out the mission of the US Air Force. If they don't help, but hinder ( Like the Muslim chaplains who have undermined the other services by advising service members that they may not fight brother Muslims) we don't need them. You can play at your sophistry by pretending that Chaplains do not help the war effort in any but a spiritual mode, but their FUNCTION, like everything else in military life, is to help carry out the mission. Just like a baker or an artilleryman. (Who according to the GC have no special protections)

I have no problems with Buddhists becoming Chaplains. I rather like Buddhism-the "wheel of life" and philosophical concepts of Buddhism have many similarities to Christianity. The Golden Rule has a Karmic flavor! If they can reconcile their support of an organization who's principal purpose is the destruction of America's enemy with their belief system (which forbids killing) who am I to complain?

The Christian View is different. Other than Quakers and a few other pacifist groups, taking life in war is not forbidden. Daniel was a man after God's own heart, and he was a real life-taker and a heart-breaker!

Now, as to Islam. Islam is a religion that requires certain practices and beliefs, as do all religions. Some are benign, such as the lifetime pilgrimage to Mecca , or Hajj. Some requirements of Islam, such as converting, taxing, or killing every man, woman and child on earth (Jihad)are a little too hard for me to tolerate, as is their stated and published view to establish (Sharia) as the sole source of law on the planet, eliminating all other sovereignty but the Caliphate. These are mainstream beliefs of Islam, held by most of the Muslim world. Although many American Muslims renounce these particular views, affiliation with a belief system or organization that requires the violent overthrow of America is traditionally considered naughty.....Let me apologize if I overstated by saying that Islam is incompatible with peace. Islam would love to create an Islamic "Utopia" on earth, where stonings and executions, female mutilation and subjugation, and barbaric punishments are cornerstones of a peaceful and orderly society. Islam is a religion of peace, like syphilis is a disease of love...

Lets be clear and honest about what we believe shall we? As educated and intelligent Christians, you cannot believe that Islam is the work of any but a false prophet, something warned of very specifically in the New testament. To claim them as a co-equal faith demonstrates only that your own beliefs are, at best fungible. This does not mean that we must or should ban them from CAP. We let communists in CAP, and some do a fine job, I am sure.

Capt. Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

MIKE

Mike Johnston