Main Menu

CAP Officer Rank

Started by Potomac Grays, July 10, 2007, 06:19:51 PM

dwb

Welcome to CAP.  One of the first lessons you will learn (or are now learning) is that rank is a strange beast in this organization.

Some Wing CCs would be delighted to promote you to the rank you wore in your military service.  Others will refuse it outright.  Still others make you wait a period of time before bestowing your prior rank.

Each of those approaches has its pros and cons, and it's ultimately up to the Wing CC to decide.

The waiting period you are incurring may be the Wing CC's way of making sure you'll become active in the organization before he promotes you.  There are good arguments for such a policy, even if it seems inconsistent with what other organizations do.

And, as others have pointed out, the pay is retroactive.  :P  So don't sweat it too much.

Eclipse

Quote from: mdickinson on July 11, 2007, 07:47:12 PM
And which one do you think is likely to stay involved?

The one who gets to fly, or do whatever they joined CAP for the most. 

If either believes grade means anything, they were done a disservice by their CC.

One only has to look at the host of "senior captains" who got their bars with their CFI, fly the heck out of the planes, and couldn't care less about their grade (many who don't even own a uniform which displays it) to see that.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Potomac Grays on July 10, 2007, 06:19:51 PM
After over thirty years state and federal service, I joined CAP.

I was delighted to discover that I am eligible for CAP rank equivalent to that of my prior federal service. 

However, Wing Commander Policy (I am told) is no CAP rank be granted to a new Senior member for six months.  State military forces grant immediate recognising of prior service, be it federal or in another state. 

I don't want to "run the show" or take over, the folks in CAP are doing a great job, but starting out again as a "Boot Recruit" is just a tad annoying.

Seems to me CAP could do the same as the State forces, it might even be good for recruiting!

Just a thought...

Not sure if this helps explain why they are 'making' you wait 6 months (empahsis mine).

Quote from: CAPR 35-3 CAP Officer and NCO appointments and Promotions
12. General. In consideration of appointment to certain key positions in CAP, special educational qualifications, or previous CAP or military experience, certain senior members who meet the minimum requirements outlined in 6 above are eligible for initial appointment or promotion to a grade commensurate with their position or experience, as outlined below. Future advancement is subject to qualifying for a higher grade under these provisions or meeting the duty performance eligibility requirements outlined in paragraph 11b above, whichever comes first. Promotion procedures are outlined in paragraph 8 above. To be considered for this type promotion, the member must meet the following minimum eligibility criteria:
a. Be at least 21 years of age.
b. Be a high school graduate (or educational equivalent).
c. Complete Level I of the Senior Member Professional Development Program.
d. Complete Cadet Protection Program Training (CPPT).
e. Be performing in an exemplary manner meriting promotion to the grade recommended.
f. Be recommended by immediate superior and unit commander.

How can the approving authority check off letter 'e' without giving enough time to determine if you are performing in an exemplary manner?  If you just started at a new job, would you ask for a raise after the first week?

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill