Thanks for service when not in military.

Started by RogueLeader, July 09, 2007, 04:40:03 AM

RogueLeader

Numerous times a few months ago, when I was on my way to/from a CAP activity in uniform, I had numerous people stop me and thank me for my service.  I found this to be very awkward due to the fact that I am not military.  While proud to be in CAP, I do not compare to the level of service to America by those in the Military.  I try to explain that I am not military, but they keep thanking me.  Is this uncommon, and what should I do?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

shorning

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 09, 2007, 04:40:03 AM
Numerous times a few months ago, when I was on my way to/from a CAP activity in uniform, I had numerous people stop me and thank me for my service.  I found this to be very awkward due to the fact that I am not military.  While proud to be in CAP, I do not compare to the level of service to America by those in the Military.  I try to explain that I am not military, but they keep thanking me.  Is this uncommon, and what should I do?

Say "you're welcome".  It's really not about you.  People do that partially because it makes them feel better.  That's okay too.  Just respond with "you're welcome" or "my pleasure".

davedove

Don't sweat it.  A lot of people just don't know about CAP, and might be confused if you try to explain it.  And I hate to say it, but it's the "in" thing to thank servicemen right now.  Not that it's ever bad to thank servicemen, but I wonder how many are really sincere.

Just say "you're welcome" and move on.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Eclipse

Very common, trying to explain is counterproductive for everyone involved.

Say thank you and move on.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

I think this falls in the same category as getting saluted by those in the military.  It takes more time to explain to someone the 'complexities' that are CAP then to say thank you and move on.

Someone that is taking the time to single you out to say 'thank you' is probably thinking that they are doing a nice thing and being supportive, and could prove to be embarrassing if they are corrected about it.

Since we dress in military style uniforms, it is to be expected that there will be times that we will be assumed to be in the military.  The worst that happens from someone just saying 'thank you for the support' is that the person giving thanks just thinks that 'those AF boys are so nice,' and they become more supportive.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

dwb

Remember that by attempting to correct somebody, you may make them feel dumb, which is certainly counterproductive.

A smile and a thank you go a long way.

I've also received military discounts without asking when I was in uniform.  Again, no use trying to explain it, just take it as a minor perk for your volunteer service.

Flying Pig

These are great responses.  I agree, just say thank you and move on.  I have been saluted by military people myself while on base.  Its best to just return it and continue on.  People are being courteous, they arent looking for a lecture.

Hawk200

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 09, 2007, 04:40:03 AM

Say thank you and move on. This is one of the reasons why it's important to wear the uniform sharply. It brings credit to us and the Air Force.

Eclipse

Quote from: Flying Pig on July 09, 2007, 05:56:05 PM
These are great responses.  I agree, just say thank you and move on.  I have been saluted by military people myself while on base.  Its best to just return it and continue on.  People are being courteous, they aren't looking for a lecture.

Its also entirely possible that they >do< know who you are, and still respect you for >your< service.  I know that's a far-reaching possibility, but occasionally it actually happens.

You might be surprised how much our RealMilitary® brothers respect and appreciate us, especially when they hear, or more importantly >SEE<, what we actually do, and end the sentence with "...without getting paid, on our free time..." - that's usually the eye opener.

"That Others May Zoom"

JohnKachenmeister

Why do you feel uncomfortable?  Isn't the service you provide worth a word of thanks?

Don't let ANYBODY give you an inferiority complex about your service in the CAP!  We are the only military auxiliary that actually saw combat in World War II and one of only 2 such auxiliaries that survive today.  We perform a mission that, if performed by Air Force personnel, would cost in the billions, and which woulkd draw resources away from the current war.

Our battle history is unique in that our actions contributed to forcing an enemy armed force to withdraw from our shores.  An irregular force had not done that since the War of 1812.  No irregular force has done it since.

Accept the thanks of your countrymen with pride.  When a salute is extended, return it with honor!
Another former CAP officer

LtCol White

Just respond "Thank you for your kindness. We appreciate it."
As you know, many civilians do not know the difference or take the time to read your uniform but they want you to know they care. Respond in kind and move on. You'll feel good and they will too. You will have the pleasure of knowing that they support all of our troops as much as we do and that they took the time to express it.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

RiverAux

I agree with the others and I would look at is as thanking us for our service TO the military rather than our service AS the military (which of course we are not).