Membership as Percentage of Population

Started by jimmydeanno, July 05, 2007, 01:11:50 PM

jimmydeanno

Some of these other conversations spurred this from me, because we keep talking about recruiting and membership numbers, etc.

I was just perusing over some of the stats for CAP from the Annual Report and was rather dismayed.

It appears as though the larger wings aren't really pulling their weight in regards to recruiting numbers.

If you look at the membership numbers based on percentage of population, the 'heavily populated areas' aren't pulling their own weight.  For a city the size of NYC why aren't there 5000K members?

NYC for instance has more people  (~8,213,849) than the entire state of NH (~1,309,940) and ME (~1,321,574) and RI (~1,048,319) and CT (3,409,549) and WV (1,808,344) COMBINED!

So if we take the entire population of New York State (all population figures from US Census Bureau, CAP figures from '06 ARTC)

(NEW YORK WING as a whole because I don't have the information for just NYC) 2,406 / 19,306,183 (NY pop) = .0001246 % of population.

(NEW HAMPSHIRE WING) 538 / 1,309,940 (NH pop) = .0004107 % of population.

(MAINE WING) 487 / 1,321,574 (ME pop) = .0003684 % of population.

(CONNETICUT WING) 518 / 3,409,549 (CT Pop) = .0001519 % of population.

(WEST VIRGINIA WING) 680 / 1,808,344 (WV pop) = .0003760 % of population.

So looking at these numbers, NYWG is performing at 25% of what NHWG is doing based on population.

Thoughts?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RiverAux

If you look at the stats a bit closer you will find that there is a strong relationship between the population size of each state and the membership in that CAP Wing.  In other words, the larger the state, the more CAP members it has.  This relationship is statisitically significant at the Wing level (I've done the stats before). 

However, this relationship doesn't really hold as well at the unit level.  If you get a real go-getter squadron cc in a small town they can often end up with more members than units in larger towns. 

Eclipse

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 05, 2007, 01:11:50 PM
It appears as though the larger wings aren't really pulling their weight in regards to recruiting numbers.

As a whole, the entire organization is failing in regards to retention.

I would also agree that the bigger states aren't pulling their weight, however you'd also have to
look to see if the populous area NEED us.

Chicago, for example - anyone could benefit from the cadet program, but in terms of ES, you have to
really get out to the boonies of ILWG before there is a NEED - other than ELTs, professional ES people
are more than capable of the necessary jobs.

When yo do get into the boonies, the people are few and far between, which make recruiting a challenge.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Eclipse on July 05, 2007, 01:46:27 PM
As a whole, the entire organization is failing in regards to retention.

I agree - whole heartedly.

QuoteI would also agree that the bigger states aren't pulling their weight, however you'd also have to look to see if the populous area NEED us.

I would have to say that just means changing your (not specifically your) recruiting strategy.  In larger populated areas that don't really have a need for ELT search or SAR, stop trying to recruit only pilots and ES types.  Focus on the CP and recruit cadets like nobody's business.

Even if you want to recruite ES types, nothing says their only area of operation would be in say Chicago, they are 'deployable' to other areas.

QuoteWhen yo do get into the boonies, the people are few and far between, which make recruiting a challenge.

But if you only recruit a few of those 'few and far betweeners' you've already surpassed the percentage that the larger wings have, thus making your recruiting efforts 'more effective.' 

If your town has a population of say, 10,000 and you recruit 50 people out of that, you have a .005% recruiting percentage, which surpases most if not all wings as a whole.

I think we should be looking at our numbers as a percentage of population vs. whole numbers for goals.  Instead of saying - lets get 65,000 members by the end of the year, why not say, get a .0005% recruiting rate?  This would also bring up your numbers and help identify those areas that should have more members vs. those who don't.

River,

I agree with your conclusions above about the smaller towns recruiting more members than the larger ones - I see it all the time.

My last squadron had 95 members on the books (95% were active), there were 5 other squadrons within 20 minutes of us each with over 50 members.  The population of the area was about 200,000 so we were still a little low at .000195% IMO.  Our City had a population of 100,000 so that gave us a .00009%, even lower.  But I don't think anyone would gaulk at a squadron with 95 active members.  That doesn't mean however, that the city couldn't support another squadron the same size.

I guess we could call it a saturation percentage...

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

capchiro

I don't think your recruiting is based on population size.  Many variables go into it.  If you have an area that has a lot of general aviation, I think recruiting pilots is easier.  If you have a more rural area or are at least close to rural you can recruit ES.  If you live in Chicago and go into ES, you could be an easy three hour drive to get to the outskirts to begin the search.  I also think our National Commander has some thoughts on the cadet program with the new grammer school program (which I don't have a clue about, however, I slept at a Holiday Inn..Sorry, however, I will be going to the national Conference in August and hope to find out there).  I think some interesting things ar ecoming down the pike, but overall, volunteer organizations are down.  Scouting is down, etc.  Part of the problem is the graying of the Boomer population and they have been staunch supporters since their Dads came home from WWII and Korea.     
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

KFreeman

I did a weighted demographics study of ALWG based upon the last census and the wing is about where one would expect it to be.

By weighted I mean age, literacy, handicap, etc. Example: pull out the <13 & >70 yrs. and that's a big portion of the population. Pull out the >25 without HS grad. and you have another big portion of the population.

Number crunching the population figures for each state might surprise you with how well CAP is actually doing.

Regards,
Ken
Authentic Antique Aviator

Lancer

What would be great is to be able to break down the membership numbers into categories. Especially on the SM side. I'd like to know how many are CSM's and how many are regular members, how many members are legislative? etc.

For the regular members, how many are active, or are just a name on a roster?

This would really help gauge how many folks are really 'working the program', and show where your 'real' membership exists.

I'm not trying to discount the other types of memberships, I just want to know how many are the regular, active members that are out there on a weekly/monthly basis supporting the organization.

dwb

Although population density can give you a bigger pool of potential members, I don't think there is reliable correlation between population and CAP membership.

One of the more successful squadrons in our Wing right now is in a rural county.  The county I live in has about 10x the number of people in it, but our squadron is not 10x the size.

I know it's just anecdotal evidence, but it is one of many anecdotes I've seen, enough so that I'm convinced CAP membership as a percentage of population is not predictable.

So why is the little rural county's squadron so big?  Because of the quality of the senior member leadership; they put together a compelling program for teens to participate in.

All CAP is local.  Strong local leadership will put together strong programs which will attract more people.  When NYWG had 10,000 members, there were dozens of highly trained folks all over the Wing making that happen.

(that, and the culture was different; the spirit of volunteerism has diminished in our culture, and CAP isn't the only organization to deal with that.  Still, that's another topic for another day.)

ZigZag911

Our overall membership numbers are terrible.....58000 (give or take) in a population of 300 million works out too 1.933 x 10 (-4), or, if I remember how to do this from college math, .00000000019333 %

Anyway you look at it, that isn't much!

Put another way, a mere 1/10 of 1% of the US population would be 300,000 members. Extrapolated out (roughly multiplying current membership by 5), even our smallest wings would have 2000+ people.

Let's start small, resolve to work back up to 100,000....and, as another posted stated, that means locally re-committing to recruiting & retention.

On the other hand, if each present member recruited just one new member, we could surpass that goal by the end of 2007.

Psicorp

...hence the "best kept secret" moniker.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

dwb

Quote from: ZigZag911 on July 05, 2007, 06:09:46 PMOn the other hand, if each present member recruited just one new member, we could surpass that goal by the end of 2007.

Could you imagine what a disaster that would be?  I'm not sure how our squadron would handle doubling in size in five months, and we've got some pretty sharp folks in my squadron.

Unfortunately, before CAP can grow significantly, they need to train people at all levels on how to manage a larger membership.

Eclipse

Quote from: ZigZag911 on July 05, 2007, 06:09:46 PM
Our overall membership numbers are terrible.....58000 (give or take) in a population of 300 million works out too 1.933 x 10 (-4), or, if I remember how to do this from college math, .00000000019333 %

To make things worse, consider how many members on the roster are empty slots - people maintaining their membership for "historical purposes", on "hiatus", or simply inactive.  I would hazard a guess, based only on my circumstantial experience in ILWG, that our real "strength"  is more like 34,800 or less.

To expand on KFreeman's post about looking at weighted demos versus just doing a basic percentage calculation, you'd also have to include information on people who actually have the resources to join >AND< participate.   100,000 patron members is useless.

To be a member worth his ID card, you have to have a far amount of free time, willingness to sacrifice it, and a fair amount of financial stability.  (despite some people's best intentions, we are not a rec center or social club, it costs to play).

300,000?  Well good luck with that.  I am also active in the AMA (the motorcycle one), and they have been reaching for 300,000 for a decade.  All you need to do for the AMA is throw us $40 and read the magazine.

What we need to do is take a hard look at our existing membership, cull the deadweight, and then roll out lean, mean and ready to offer new members the USAF/Aux in the brochures. 

We also need to change our culture, as there is no longer a culture of service in this country.
"other people" fight wars, fix problems, and man shelters, then we all complain when things don't get done.

When CAP was started, we still had a culture of service, the draft, and a national identity of "us against them", so of course we all did our part.

These days "my part" for most people, is a percentage donation to the United Way,  and
a small amount of effort to separate paper from plastic.

"That Others May Zoom"

sardak

58,0000/300,000,000 = 0.0001933 = 0.0193%

Mike

RiverAux

QuoteAlthough population density can give you a bigger pool of potential members, I don't think there is reliable correlation between population and CAP membership.

At the wing level there is an incredibly strong relationship between total state population and CAP membership.  Like I said, I've run the stats and they're as strong as anything you're going to see in a scientific research paper. 

However, as I also said, the relationship does not hold at all at the squadron level.  At that level total population gives the squadrons in bigger towns the potential to be much bigger than squadrons in smaller towns, but for a variety of reasons this doesn't always happen. 

SarDragon

I said it before, and I'll repeat it for those who missed it last time - we don't need recruitment, we need retention. When we lose half of our cadets every year, we're doing something wrong.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

Quote from: SarDragon on July 06, 2007, 06:27:26 AM
I said it before, and I'll repeat it for those who missed it last time - we don't need recruitment, we need retention. When we lose half of our cadets every year, we're doing something wrong.

Agreed...new people are good and we will and should not turn them away.  But a solid CAP will come from servicing the folks we have and then adding the new.

Now, I think the CAP Officer Corps could benefit from additional professional aviators that are sold on CAP (that is good for us all)  But quality programs are often more productive than unworkable quantity.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

ZigZag911

Quote from: SarDragon on July 06, 2007, 06:27:26 AM

There are several reasons we lose so many cadets annually, but based on observation I would suggest that in many, if not most, instances, the problem is that we recruit too quickly -- sign them right up without a real introduction to the program.

Problem #2 is poor training....which is exacerbated the way so many of us have done it for so long, enrolling new members piecemeal.

After 35+ years, I am more and more convinced of the need for a 'cohort' approach to enrolling & training new members, cadet or senior -- discussed on another thread by squadrons having set sign up periods for new cadets, generally twice a year.

For seniors the same should apply, with some adapted version of the Iowa OTS approach.

RogueLeader

One note about the OTS program in Iowa, there is an agreement that the new member will serve for at least two years.  I do not know how solid this is, or what happens when a member believes that they can fulfill that time but then can't.  You would want to contact some members of IAWG Contacts to get a better understanding.  It has led to a much better retention rate, at least for the 1st couple of years, as the 4th year is coming to a close in the program, they might have more stats about retention.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 07, 2007, 03:35:49 AM
One note about the OTS program in Iowa, there is an agreement that the new member will serve for at least two years.  I do not know how solid this is,

I can tell you - about as good as the word of the person making the commitment, which is no different than any other wing, because there is no way to compel a volunteer to do much of anything, especially when you are talking about basic service.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

True, but I do believe that it helps instill how serious the new candidate is about joining.  The OTS program also acts as a delayed entry program as there are only two OTS classes per year, so they would have to wait.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340