Air Command and Staff College offers Master's degree for online course

Started by dogboy, July 04, 2007, 10:37:50 PM

Capt M. Sherrod

Quote from: O-Rex on July 06, 2007, 01:26:21 AM
Quote from: m_e_sherrod on July 05, 2007, 08:18:54 PM
Back to ACSC Master's degree - it looks like it doesn't take the place of the original, and so, would not satisfy the requirements for wearing the star on the Garber ribbon.  Anyone have thoughts on this?

Why wouldn't it?

This is from the program description of the Master's Degree program on AFIADL's website... 
The Online Master's Degree is a voluntary program. It is a separate program from ACSC's traditional Distance Learning, non-Master's Degree PME course, not an addendum to it. Nor does the Online Master's Degree replace the Distance Learning non-Master's course.

hence, why I asked the question.
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

Major Carrales

If and when this opportunity is made available to CAP, I think I will do it.  I am a little over halfway towards a Masters now...but, my growing family precludes finishing a at a University.  I will have to do it on line.

If CAP gives me that opportunity...I am honored.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

gallagheria

Quote from: m_e_sherrod on July 09, 2007, 05:25:43 PM
Quote from: gallagheria on July 09, 2007, 05:13:03 PM
Well, AEO's must have a bachelor's degree and teacher certification.

Do you have the reg cite for this.  I am the AEO for my squadron, and while yes, I do have a degree, I am not a certificated teacher.  No where in 280-2, CAPP 15 or CAPP 215 does it say you have to be a teacher to serve as the AEO.  Thank you for setting me straight if I am wrong and didn't see it.
This is what I was thinking of. I see it applies to special promotion eligibility. CAPR 35-5(23)(e):
QuoteAerospace Education Officers. A CAP aerospace education officer is an officer serving in an aerospace education position at any level of CAP. For the purpose of promotion under the professional appointments method the aerospace education officer must also be fully certified as a professional educator (teacher, counselor, or administrator) by the state department of education in the member's state of residence or have served as a college or university professor educator (full, associate or assistant) or other faculty member.
Back to the advanced education for CAP members, I think it is great. The more we are integrated into military programs and education, the more we are accepted as being able to do the mission.

Capt M. Sherrod

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 09, 2007, 05:41:02 PM
If and when this opportunity is made available to CAP, I think I will do it.  If CAP gives me that opportunity...I am honored.

I have to concur, life and personal experiences have precluded me from advancing past my B.S. degree.  So, when I attain the rank of Maj, and if this program is (still) available, I will jump at it.
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

James Shaw

The Teacher Requirement of the Aerospace Education Officer is primarily for those who are in the DDR programs in the school units. They are different than those for the Specialty Track as an AE. The teachers who lead or help with a DDR program are brought in as Captains if they have a State Teaching Certificate and can provide proof. They are not run like a traditional squadron as most members are use to. They have their own seperate structure. I helped start a Squadron at a local middle school as an afterschool program. A regular Cadet Squadron. The Squadron Commander worked for a couple of years with them and had some problems. About 90% of the students dropped out and they only had 6 Cadets. I took over Command after the left over cadets started complaining. The Squadron was in jeopardy of being dropped down to a flight or closed all together. I was asked to take over as Commander as a 1st Lt. The designation was changed from a Cadet Squadron to a DDR Squadron. Even though I have multiple degrees I dont have a teaching certificate and was not made a Captain. I did however qualify for early advancement after a year of Command Duty which makes you eligable for Captain.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

dogboy

Thank you for your thoughtful reply to my post. I am sorry to state that I am more dissatisfied with the current ACSC than you. I agree that some of the material was interesting and useful but it would have been much more interesting and useful if not for the "Air Power" bias.

For example, one of the most interesting reading was about the innovations that Gen. William H. Tunner brought to the Berlin Airlift. General Turner, who had commanded traffic over "The Hump" in WWII, essentially rescued the Airlift by by a number of small but important and big but important changes in procedure.  Flights on VFR were completely ended and ALL flights were made on instruments, using former Luftwaffe personnel as mechanics, and using rumble from bombed-out Berlin and heavy construction equipment that had been cut-up, then re-welded together to build a new Berlin airfield are only some of the ingenious innovations that General Turner had instituted.

What the assigned article did NOT state was who was the Berlin Airlift commander whop PRECEDED Tunner and failed.

Good reason for that: the failure was none other than Gen. Curtis LeMay,  the Air Force Commander in Europe.

http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/magazine/it/1998/2/1998_2_42.shtml

If the article had been willing to reveal LeMay's name, further lessons could have been drawn: don't micro-manage, install a local commander who has experience in the task, maybe even the notion that air transport is an important function of the Air Force, as important as air superiority, or strategic bombing or tactical air support.

Quote from: O-Rex on July 05, 2007, 03:15:19 AM

Current Non-Masters ACSC: took it in 05-06, sure, there was definitely an Air Power spin there, but I still found it informative.

<snip>

Congratulations on being accepted for the program you mentioned.  The school looks to be part of the public university system of Sweden, and requires that Students be graduates of accredited schools in their respective countries (in our case, regional accreditation.)  I wonder if U.S. agencies/universities/employers will return the favor.

Let us know how things go as you progress through the program....

Yes, BTH is part of the Swedish public university system, which is well regarded. The MBA program I am enrolled in is too new to be accredited by any of the big three business school accreditors: AASCB, AMBA, or Equis. However distance programs have been so accredited and I think eventually BTH will be.

It is difficult to predict how a BTH MBA will be regarded by employers in the US. Distance-learning degrees are generally looked on with some suspicion and perhaps a foreign one will be even more so. On the other hand, some employers may see a foreign education as advantage where foreign trade or investment are involved. 

I do not know if I would recommend the BTH route or any distance-learning MBA for someone who wants to get the most payback for a degree. However if one must take the distance-learning MBA, I suggest that one be selected that is accredited by either AASCB, AMBA, or Equis in addition to regional-accreditation.

Thanks again for your thoughtful comments on my original post and for the suggestion of Naval War College. Have you done AIR War College?