Creating/ Charter a new Squadron

Started by Pumbaa, June 25, 2007, 09:22:45 PM

Pumbaa

I was looking over the 20-3 on chartering a new squadron as well as looking at the CAPF 27.

Looks easy enough.

One question to start this topic.

I thought I read somewhere about a 2 year in grade requirment for the squadron commander.  Was I just dreamin it, or is there somewhere in CAP documents that discusses the commander requirments?

Thanks

RiverAux

No such requirement that I've heard about.  Plenty of squadron commanders I've come across that barely have 2 years in CAP (thats another discussion topic). 

capchiro

Off the top of my head, I can't recall such Reg, but I would certainly advise it as there is no replacement for experience.  If one should attempt to do so, I would highly recommend they avail themselves of some experienced members for constant advice or to stay very active on this board and not be bashful asking for advice.  Would the person be starting a senior, cadet or composite squadron?  If possible, it would be good to start a flight under an active squadron so you would have some constructive help and not try to re-invent the wheel.  If you are truly located somewhere that you are isolated, I would offer my services to answer questions that you may have.  I am sure that the other great guys on this site would do likewise.  If you see the need, fill it, but don't do it for your own ego.  At some point, the youngest cadet will rip your ego to shreds.. And not necessarily in a bad way either.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Pumbaa

Thanks Col...

It would be a composite...  Our idea was to start a flight but the Group commander suggested possibly a squadron.  It looks like we will easily have the bodies already...  most being very experienced.  The cadets who would be a part are very strong in the program, very knowledgable.

Understand this is not being started as a 'split', or bad feelings in the present squad'n, quite the contrary... The issue is, that these folks travel a long distance to the present squadron, there are also a number of recruits in the proposed who would like to be in CAP but do not want to travel the 1 hour+ (I travel 1:15), thus they sit out.

There would be a squadron about 45 minutes the other way, but politics aside, people again prefer not to travel into the city to that one.

Group commander is very positive, of course the go slow, plan it out carefully, etc...

Yeah ego.. gotta love it.. For the Officers involved, I do not see any ego in this, just practicality, there is a big hole along the highway, that a new flight/ squad'n could fill.  It would also bring some more folks out of the boonies off the highway zone. 

We are still trying to figre how we could still be involved with the present squadron, we all love each other and work well.  We do not want to work in a vaccume.  ie Have a meeting all together once a month.. blah blah..

capchiro

It sounds like you are well on the way.  The big problem is picking a commander.  It would seem like the person with the most rank or experience would be the best, but it needs to be carefully accessed.  Working with a composite squadron from the beginning, I would say that the most emphasis will probably be on the cadet part of the program.  This will take quite some work unless you already have some seasoned cadets that will help get it running.  As soon as that is functioning, emphasis can be put on the senior program.  You need to get cadets in, get their uniforms, get them through some tests and get them to their first basic encampment before much else can happen.  Although the ES is fun, it is hard to get all of the requirements filled within a reasonable time frame so you need to convince everybody that it takes time to become ES functional either personally or as a unit.  You are fortunate to have a unit nearby and you can ask them to send down members to help in areas that you need.  Sounds like a good situation and if you choose to do it, good luck and let me know if I can help.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

JohnKachenmeister

Chartering a new unit is a pretty simple process, once you have enough bodies.  If you don't have enough, you can charter it as a stand-alone flight until you do.  Then later you can submit a name change from "Wrongway Corrigan Memorial Flight" to "Wrongway Corrigan Memorial Squadron."  No change in charter number or anything.
Another former CAP officer

Tubacap

Congrats on starting a new squadron!  I am in the exact same situation as you are in currently.  It is a lot of fun to start from the beginning with some experience behind you. 

Does anyone have any experience starting a school based squadron?  How did it go?

William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001