Main Menu

Membership question?

Started by jpravain, June 22, 2007, 06:54:10 AM

jpravain

I was in CAP over 10 years ago a senior member. I had numerous disagreements with the squadron commander and a 2b membership termination for cause arrived certified receipt on my door step. I officially resigned my membership with a letter to wing and National before the 2b went into effect. Does this prohibit me from joining again? I was young at the time 20-21 y/o and the average age in my squadron was 50. Any info or help appreciated.

2bLT
Jason Ravain

" I love to fly but hate to be flown " - LtCol Donald R. Feltey, USAF (Retired)

Major Carrales

Quote from: 2bLT on June 22, 2007, 06:54:10 AM
I was in CAP over 10 years ago a senior member. I had numerous disagreements with the squadron commander and a 2b membership termination for cause arrived certified receipt on my door step. I officially resigned my membership with a letter to wing and National before the 2b went into effect. Does this prohibit me from joining again? I was young at the time 20-21 y/o and the average age in my squadron was 50. Any info or help appreciated.

2bLT

Have your proposed Squadron Commander contact Wing or Region.  I had a good friend join CAP after some 25 years who was still flagged.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

JohnKachenmeister

The short answer is "Yes."

But this is not absolute.  Follow Major Carrales advice, and have your unit commander initiate a recruitment action.  Attach a letter of the circumstances of your termination.  NHQ can waive the termination, and it does have to go to the general for a decision.

Good luck.
Another former CAP officer

capchiro

I have seen cases like this where the squadron never sent the 2b up the ladder as there was no need.  If I were you, I would just complete an application and send it into national and see if any record of it pops up.  If so, then you can request a waiver.  If not, why complicate life?
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

ncc1912

Quote from: capchiro on June 22, 2007, 11:14:04 AM
I have seen cases like this where the squadron never sent the 2b up the ladder as there was no need.  If I were you, I would just complete an application and send it into national and see if any record of it pops up.  If so, then you can request a waiver.  If not, why complicate life?
I agree.

Additionally, your re-joining ability depends on the cause for termination, but rather than open that can-of-worms, I would suggest proceeding as above (capchiro's suggestion) and take it one step at a time.
//SIGNED//
JUSTIN B. BAIER, Major, CAP
"Dislocated Member"
Civil Air Patrol - United States Air Force Auxiliary
Active-duty USAF
Seoul, Republic of Korea

Major Carrales

You would think so...however, in the case of our member he was a members for nealy 9 months...even had been promoted to 2d Lt and was functioning as COMM officer (and a [darn] good one), then; all of a sudden...he was off thre record.  Not so much as a letter from Wing or Region...just gone.

When I inquired on hehalf of the then Squadron Commander, I was told he was flagged and that "If I had any knowledge of his previous status (of which I did not until after the fact), I should have rejected the application.

Thus, the "can of worms" has to be opened eventaully.  It is a bit of an intergity issue to try to "pull a fast one" over on WING, REGION and NATONAL.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

IceNine

Correct, if you try to pull a fast one it will more than likely past for a while.  The reason being that there are a myriad of things that must be done they have to get off or "probation" etc so there is some time delay in that anyway.  And then if the action happened before the mid to late 90's nationals didn't have any type of computer tracking then so they have to go back into the dungeon a nationals and check for records that are REALLY old.  So it is best to inquire to Nat's about your status in their system, and they will most likely tell you if you have a snowball's chance at reinstatement. 

I too have been through this whole ordeal and the situation 2B was just one of many processed by that unit CC that year so we got the member through.

We had the prospective member fill out the senior App.  Scanned it and emailed a letter of the previous circumstances with the original 2B letter.  And then called down to national and talked with them about it.  That seemed to be the most expeditious way that we found.  At least that time
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RiverAux

I suspect that depending on the circumstances a young senior member has a much better chance of getting back in after a 2b since a lot can be written off to youthful indiscretion.  A 50 year old who gets a 2b and is flagged, probably doesn't have much of a chance unless the 2b was so far back it doesn't exist in the computer records.

jpravain

I was very active in the squadron that 2b'd me. Deputy Cdr of Cadets (Youth Challenge Program - Camp Shelby, MS) and a SAR/DR Mission Observer. I took alot of initiative in my job and the CC was an older Major. I think I was a little too energetic for his squadron. I was 19 when I joined as a FO (the squadron didn't even know what a FO was) and I was the youngest in the squadron. Again, average age was 50. I can list some of the issues that caused a 2b if it would help. I have nothing to hide or lose. I already tried contacting a Cdr of a local unit via email regarding this and I have not received a reply yet. I sent it over a month ago. I also called National Membership and they told me I need to have a Squadron Cdr willing to accept me. Once that has been done, any skeletons in the closet will come out. I was hoping they could tell me if I was flagged or not (to save me some further embarrassment) but....

2bLT

P.S. All of this happened (ended) in 1996.
Jason Ravain

" I love to fly but hate to be flown " - LtCol Donald R. Feltey, USAF (Retired)

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787