Main Menu

Professional Development

Started by Capt M. Sherrod, June 15, 2007, 03:11:26 PM

Capt M. Sherrod

I am curious as to what the general consensus is for promoting professional development.  I realize that in the SM program, it is up to each person's own motivation, however, as Commanders and Deputy Commanders, how much do you push your staff and fellow members?

Personally, I find it very important and enjoyable to get all of the training and education that I possibly can.  Maybe that's why I am only one month away from completing Level 3 as a lowly 2d Lt.  Are there any techniques or methods that you use to motivate / encourage your staff and fellow officers to advance their education?

Thank you for all of your help and insight.  I am trying to build up the knowledge and experience of both my cadets and the new parent-officers that are joining the squadron.
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

Pylon

While many believe senior members need to be self-motivated and discover the professional development progression on their own, this isn't the ideal situation.  I commend you for taking such strides in professional development yourself.

Ideally, your squadron's professional development staff will guide each senior member along the PD path.  They should frequently send reminders to senior members on what they need to complete the next PD level, circulate notices of PD courses being held nearby and encourage appropriate members to attend, and more.  The AE officer can also assist the PDO in encouraging S'members to participate in the AEPSM.

In addition, the Deputy Commander for Seniors should also take an overall assessment of the squadron members and help encourage those members who are not progressing. 

It just doesn't always work ideally in every location.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

If you don't want to work for it, don't expect to get promoted... but if you want to be an SM or 2d Lt for lyfe... that's cool.  Just don't forget to salute.  >:D

Should you really expect to get promoted even when you do the work though?
Mike Johnston

Camas

Quote from: m_e_sherrod on June 15, 2007, 03:11:26 PM

Maybe that's why I am only one month away from completing Level 3 as a lowly 2d Lt.  Are there any techniques or methods that you use to motivate / encourage your staff and fellow officers to advance their education?

If you're "only a lowly 2d Lt" as you put it and are only one month away from getting your Level III you've earned my respect bigtime.  You should know that only about 350 Loening Awards are presented each year.  Generally, only about 20% of CAP members earn this very prestigious award.  Plus you're not only serving in a very key position as deputy commander of cadets but you're also setting a great example for others.

I can only add to what Pylon as already suggested.  Have your squadron professional development officer (you do have one, right?) promote SLS, AFIADL-13, pursuing specialty tracks and so on.  Hopefully you have some veteran members, regardless of grade, who can perhaps mentor some of your newer members.  Take advantage of group and wing members who can bring insight and experience to your members. Invite them over as guests. Many are only too happy to be approached and invited to your squadron.

For whatever it's worth I hold a master's rating in professional development and am currently the Director of Professional Development for my wing.  I wish you the very best of luck.  Keep up the good work.

IceNine

After a few years of working in Prof. Dev. I have come to the conclusion that there are 2 types of members

Those who use promotion and advancement as a tool to better the program

AND

Those who are solely concerned with the welfare of the unit, and therefore see no reason to advance

That being said both of these groups still need someone to hold their hand and ensure that they are following the most efficient track for promotion based on their contributions, and ability to handle increases in responsibility which should come with promotion.

The best way I have found to motivate the SM's for life and the gung ho members alike is to explain that their advancement brings knowledge, experience, and overall good "numbers" to the unit.  That simple explanation is usually enough to persuade them to advance, as long as you make it clear that promotion in no way obligates them to positions at higher headquarters.

As for how things are/should be done.  I personally meet with every senior in my unit every month to ensure that they know what their next steps are and should be, and that they are aware of upcoming opportunities to fulfill requirements for their next level.  The other thing I have found invaluable is to ensure that you have a visual reference posted in several spots to make sure that members know what the next step is without studying the regs.  There are several very useful options posted on the national best practices site if you don't feel like re-inventing the wheel.

As for the rest, congrats in advance for the level III that's an awesome achievement.  Just don't lose that fire.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RiverAux

Well, thats a nice way to inspire people to pay attention to professional development -- say that if you care at all about promotions and advancement that you obviously do not care about the welfare of the unit. 

Pylon

Quote from: J.Hendricks on June 15, 2007, 08:45:23 PM
After a few years of working in Prof. Dev. I have come to the conclusion that there are 2 types of members

Those who care about promotions and advancement

AND

Those who are Solely concerned with the welfare of the unit

Non-Concur.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

IceNine

Quote from: RiverAux on June 15, 2007, 09:05:07 PM
Well, thats a nice way to inspire people to pay attention to professional development -- say that if you care at all about promotions and advancement that you obviously do not care about the welfare of the unit. 

not real sure why everything that is posted here has to be taken as malintent, at no point did I say that people that care about promotion do not care about the unit, take another look

Quote from: Pylon on June 15, 2007, 09:14:26 PM

AND

Non-Concur.

How so?  Have you ever worked with any other types you have the kind that care about getting promoted and those that don't where am I wrong in any of that?

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RiverAux

We're just commenting on the dichotomy that you set up.  By your own definition you can't care about promotion and advancement and also care about the unit -- it is either one or the other.

Pylon and I are saying that it is possible for someone to care about their own professional development (and the promotions that go with it) and also be deeply committed to the actual missions of CAP and their unit. 

IceNine

Thank you, that is much easier to understand... when you make snippy comments there is no room for explanation...I will correct the verbage in my previous post to properly convey my thoughts

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Capt M. Sherrod

OK, so let me make sure that I have an understanding of what's been said here...

It is up to the Professional Development officer, and me to an extent, to make sure that people have the courses and material available to them.  Whether they choose to take advantage of those classes / resources is up to them.  It sounds very much like the proverbial horse and water source.  I can bring them there, but I can't make them do it.

So, has there been discussions about re-working the Professional Development program to include some of the knowledge that is included in courses like AFIADL 13 and SLS in the earlier (read - orientation) levels.  It would seem that a lot of people would benefit greatly if they got this material early in their CAP career instead of maybe 2, 3 or 4 years down the road when they finally get off their duff.

Or take it one step further, and update AFIADL 13 to modern day regs / facts / information and eliminate the "correspondence course".  It seems like a lot of people get hung up on "taking a test" that they do not bother progressing past that point.

IceNine

Quote from: m_e_sherrod on June 15, 2007, 10:10:12 PM
It is up to the Professional Development officer, and me to an extent, to make sure that people have the courses and material available to them.  Whether they choose to take advantage of those classes / resources is up to them.  It sounds very much like the proverbial horse and water source.  I can bring them there, but I can't make them do it.

Precisely,  and as I mentioned before most of the time you can make them drink if you learn their secret handshake. 

As for the CAPSOC yes it is in dire need of being updated, and if anyone has any insight as to why it has not been updated please feel free to share.  Even better why is this course not available on line, it isn't an airforce PME course so why can't CAP just own the program, and the others like it (ESO, Safety, Scanner)?

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Hawk200

I think one of our biggest problems is that most members aren't really aware of the requirements. When we get a new member, I usually have a sitdown with them, and actually explain the requirements for each grade. I also let them know that they don't have to do all the requirements for every grade at once, but I do reccomend that the AFIADL 13 be ordered and completed as soon as possible, just to get it out of the way.

I've met a few long term second lieutenants that didn't know what else they had to do. A number of these folks I've gotten squared away, and promoted within a few months time. It may take a little work with some, but it usually isn't too much trouble.

I'm also looking into doing SLS and CLC locally, so that my unit's members don't have to drive 110 miles for them. A lot of people would probably get stuff done faster if they didn't have to go so far. I think that wings with groups should have the groups do those courses locally when and if at all possible.

Camas

The AFIADL-13 course or CAPSOC certainly needs to be updated.  But I still think perhaps some of us (me included) need to promote this opportunity more than we have.  We have about 400 senior members in our wing and only about 115 of them have completed CAPSOC.  That has to improve.  Moreover, Air University has made it so much easier now to apply for the various AFIADL courses available to CAP members along with testing materials.  So what's the problem?  I just don't have an answer other than, perhaps, many of our members are quite happy where they are in the area of professional development and have no desire to progress.

Quote from: Hawk200I'm also looking into doing SLS and CLC locally, so that my unit's members don't have to drive 110 miles for them. A lot of people would probably get stuff done faster if they didn't have to go so far. I think that wings with groups should have the groups do those courses locally when and if at all possible.

That's a valid point.  Many wings, of course, don't have groups so that's not an option.  That's the case here in Oregon.  We have something like 18 squadrons and some are scattered far and wide making it difficult for members to attend wing-wide activities such as SLS and CLC. We do what we can to accommodate as much of the wing as we can holding courses in various parts of the wing in different years.

Hawk200

Quote from: Camas on June 16, 2007, 01:35:02 AM
So what's the problem?  I just don't have an answer other than, perhaps, many of our members are quite happy where they are in the area of professional development and have no desire to progress.

Some people think it's too hard. I have one member that just has no desire to do it. I think that most people don't seem to realize that cadets look at our promotions too. Some of them think that there is no reason to be a senior after they get to that age, because they don't seem to get promoted (this has actually been expressed to me by cadets).  This seems to be a dangerous precedent, since we should have people staying with the program, transitioning to maintain continuity.

Others figure that they don't need to try as hard since seniors don't. One cadet that mentioned this said he'd come in a twelve years old, and a couple of seniors didn't recieve a single promotion by the time he had turned nineteen. The members in question were lieutenants. They should have promoted at least once, most likely twice, but never did.

Many wings, of course, don't have groups so that's not an option.  That's the case here in Oregon.  We have something like 18 squadrons and some are scattered far and wide making it difficult for members to attend wing-wide activities such as SLS and CLC. We do what we can to accommodate as much of the wing as we can holding courses in various parts of the wing in different years.

I think that those two courses should be promoted and given locally when at all possible. It's probably pretty certain that there is another unit within 45 minutes that would have people needing it. Invite them. The more educated our members, the better off we are. If a wing has groups, then they should be trying to give one at least once a year.

lordmonar

Quote from: Pylon on June 15, 2007, 09:14:26 PM

AND

Non-Concur.

I concur with your Non-concur.  :D

I know SM off all stripes.  Those who are concerned for both unit and promotions...those whare are not concered about either unit or promotions, those who care about promtion and everthing in between.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Flying Pig

Im all for the programs.  I just need courses to be offered during the week since I work weekends!

Hawk200

Quote from: Flying Pig on June 16, 2007, 07:37:33 AM
Im all for the programs.  I just need courses to be offered during the week since I work weekends!

Another consideration for our member education. Kinda gets me thinking, what do people think of a correspondance course type idea for SLS and CLC? I took the ECI Safety officer course, and I wouldn't think that either SLS or CLC would be any bigger than the single volume that the safety officer course was.

As for the testing, I imagine that the course could be tested locally. It wouldn't be too big.

Of course there is the issue that if the correspondance course required a test, then the in-residence ones should too. Maybe send out a "read packet" or something to that effect so that people are a little more prepared for SLS/CLC.

There are probably a few other issues, don't know what they are right now, just thinking out loud.

Camas

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 16, 2007, 01:47:45 PM
Kinda gets me thinking, what do people think of a correspondence course type idea for SLS and CLC?
I like it; it's certainly a viable option.  The only issue I have though is that members lose the camaraderie with others since they're off in their own little cubby hole doing these courses. They lose the advantage of interaction between members that a classroom environment would provide. 

Briski

It would certainly help members who would like to stay involved, but don't have many options for attending weekend activities due to other life circumstances.  After this summer, I'm basically assuming that the it will be 2010 at the very earliest before I can be active again (if you call what I've been doing for the past two summers by visiting squadrons when home on break an doing Encampments/NCSAs in the summer "active"). I'd like to have an option for continuing education (and fulfilling training requirements) so I don't feel like I'm just deadweight on the squadron MML, but it will be a real challenge for me to attend CAP activities on the weekends.

And even if I do find that I can spare a weekend, I'd rather spend it on something semi-productive (read: "makes me feel useful, like I'm actually, you know, giving back to the program") such as serving on staff at a weekend activity for cadets.
JACKIE M. BRISKI, Capt, CAP
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

...not all those who wander are lost...

Hawk200

Quote from: Camas on June 16, 2007, 03:09:04 PMI like it; it's certainly a viable option.  The only issue I have though is that members lose the camaraderie with others since they're off in their own little cubby hole doing these courses. They lose the advantage of interaction between members that a classroom environment would provide. 

I'm glad it didn't sound so off-the-wall. I hadn't considered the lack of interaction though. Just an idea, but how about some kind of teleconference or webinar for an interactive setting ? (I know, it's a little more complicated, but I'm kind of thinking of things like cooking spaghetti: throw something against the wall, see if it sticks  :) ).

There's got to be a way we can make the same education available to everybody, regardless of their availability. We should be trying to get everyone schooled, not just leaving people behind because they have a different work schedule.

Briski

You know, that's a good point...

I've taken some non-CAP classes online where a required part of the curriculum was to participate in the online discussions based on the readings in a forum such as this one. That might be an option for those of us who can't devote an entire weekend to SLS or CLC, but don't want to miss out on all of the benefits of group discussion-based course. I know I'd be up for something like this.

So, now what are we gonna do with all these neat ideas? :)
JACKIE M. BRISKI, Capt, CAP
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

...not all those who wander are lost...

Flying Pig

Personally, Id love to attend the SLS and other courses in person.  But with my employer, I work Fri-Mon and our days off are bidded by seniority as well as our vacations.  Surely there has to be something I can do to cover these courses? It could literally be years before I could attend.

Briski...make it happen.   ;D

Chappie

Quote from: RiverAux on June 15, 2007, 09:45:29 PM
We're just commenting on the dichotomy that you set up.  By your own definition you can't care about promotion and advancement and also care about the unit -- it is either one or the other.

Pylon and I are saying that it is possible for someone to care about their own professional development (and the promotions that go with it) and also be deeply committed to the actual missions of CAP and their unit. 

I, for one, would hope that I fit that description.  As a Chaplain, I have felt that it is necessary for chaplains to set an example within their unit in all things...including PD.   

So during my CAP career, the pursuit of excellence in order to better serve whatever unit I was assigned or fulfill whatever task given has resulted in attaining: the Yeager Award, Master ratings in Cadet Programs/Chaplain/Professional Development specialty tracks, Mission Chaplain rating, and the Gill Robb Wilson award.

The Chaplain Service in both the Wing and Region I serve has a Professional Development Officer assigned to assist Chaplains and MLOs in pursuing the advancement of their training.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Hawk200

Quote from: m_e_sherrod on June 15, 2007, 10:10:12 PM
It sounds very much like the proverbial horse and water source.  I can bring them there, but I can't make them do it.

My grandfather always used to snicker at that adage. When I got old enough, I finally asked him what was so funny about it. He told me: "Feed the horse salt pills and then take him to water. He'll drink."

I guess we've got to do the same thing.

SarDragon

Quote from: Camas on June 16, 2007, 03:09:04 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on June 16, 2007, 01:47:45 PM
Kinda gets me thinking, what do people think of a correspondence course type idea for SLS and CLC?
I like it; it's certainly a viable option.  The only issue I have though is that members lose the camaraderie with others since they're off in their own little cubby hole doing these courses. They lose the advantage of interaction between members that a classroom environment would provide. 

Exactly. I'll let y'all know more next month after my turn in the barrel teaching SLS. That's one of the things I miss about the Level I classes - the camaraderie and interactions among the students. I taught at the group level, and it was a good opportunity for members to meet folks outside their own units.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Capt M. Sherrod

I believe that was the point of SLS and CLC being in-residence.  They want us to get out there and interact with other squadrons and get some exposure to the wing level (at least based on the old material).  I had the experience (unfortunate or otherwise) to attend the old format SLS and CLC (death by powerpoint) and teach at the new style SLS.  I think that the new format is going to clearly be better for the organization as we move forward.

ZigZag911

Concern for one's own professional development and dedication to the CAP program should go hand in hand; one enhances the other....much the same with training in or expanding ES qualifications.

As for difficulty getting to SLS/CLC -- some wings have offered SLS on a series of week nights (e.g., every Thursday night for 4-6 weeks)....this helps those who work weekends...ought to work for CLC as well.

The problem with PD is over-centralization, especially in some mid-sized wings....this stuff should be offered in geographically convenient locales, not just wing HQ -- for instance, a group or several groups (or, for the wings that don't use groups, several neighboring squadrons).

CLC, by its nature, needs wing input & participation....which is still not the same as restricting it to wing HQ!

Finally, it is critical that commanders & deputies for seniors encourage participation in PD by their members....it's how we learn about CAP (for all the imperfections in the courses and sometimes the teaching), and how we expand our vision beyond the local unit.

In my tenure as group commander my deputy & I used to monitor the PD progress of the squadron commanders, squadron deputies, and our own staff quite closely, trying to help their progress wherever possible.

IceNine

My wing has gradually transitioned to the multi locale training we do one north, central and south.  They also try to throw in one of the other courses that are needed in these different areas while they run SLS.  For instance we may run SLS,CLC, and UCC north, SLS/CLC, and the Basic IG course South, and something else central this year.  Next year it will switch.  As in most wings this is not hard fast rule more an attempt.  we have not that I know of solved the problem for those that can't do weekends.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Hawk200

Quote from: ZigZag911 on June 17, 2007, 03:25:57 AM
Concern for one's own professional development and dedication to the CAP program should go hand in hand; one enhances the other....much the same with training in or expanding ES qualifications.

I'm not usually all that concerned about my own PD, although I have made progression. I'm only a few checkmarks away from Level 4, and got about half of Level 5. A lot of folks think I'm a little too pushy on the PD, but I think they should be moving up, not stagnating. I'm just at a loss sometimes on how to get the idea across that I'd like to see them move up for their own sakes.

ZigZag911

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 17, 2007, 07:07:12 PM
. A lot of folks think I'm a little too pushy on the PD, but I think they should be moving up, not stagnating. I'm just at a loss sometimes on how to get the idea across that I'd like to see them move up for their own sakes.

Often members like this will say "I'm just here for the cadets", or "I just want to help the squadron".

Beyond pointing out to them how their training can benefit the unit/cadets and the accomplishment of the mission, there isn't a whole lot you can do.

Hawk200

Quote from: ZigZag911 on June 17, 2007, 07:44:42 PM
Often members like this will say "I'm just here for the cadets", or "I just want to help the squadron".

Beyond pointing out to them how their training can benefit the unit/cadets and the accomplishment of the mission, there isn't a whole lot you can do.

I guess not. It's just a little frustrating. We have capable people, but at times some don't seem very motivated. I guess the biggest thing that frustrates me is that I see people making some of the same mistakes I did. Guess I've just got to let them make them, since they don't seem to want to learn from mine. (I don't mind looking stupid if someone else can avoid the same mistake.)

SAR-EMT1

As we are for the most part well aware of SLS, CLC, CAPSOC, and SOS; Id like to ask the membership if they are very active in the "other" PD, such as the multitude of AFIADL courses offered to us - anyone taken the NBC maintainers course?  ;)
OR whether anyone has taken any AF specialist courses- for EMTs, MDs, Chaplains, PAOs or sumsuch.

Second line of thought:
Has anyone ever known any Cadet Officers that have made use of AFIADL courses? They ARE eligible.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

shorning

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on June 17, 2007, 08:42:49 PM
As we are for the most part well aware of SLS, CLC, CAPSOC, and SOS; Id like to ask the membership if they are very active in the "other" PD, such as the multitude of AFIADL courses offered to us - anyone taken the NBC maintainers course?  ;)

"Very" active?  Dunno, but I've taken a bunch of ECI/AFIADL courses.

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on June 17, 2007, 08:42:49 PMOR whether anyone has taken any AF specialist courses- for EMTs, MDs, Chaplains, PAOs or sumsuch.

Um, yes.

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: shorning on June 17, 2007, 09:35:30 PM
As we are for the most part well aware of SLS, CLC, CAPSOC, and SOS; Id like to ask the membership if they are very active in the "other" PD, such as the multitude of AFIADL courses offered to us - anyone taken the NBC maintainers course?  ;)

"Very" active?  Dunno, but I've taken a bunch of ECI/AFIADL courses.

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on June 17, 2007, 08:42:49 PMOR whether anyone has taken any AF specialist courses- for EMTs, MDs, Chaplains, PAOs or sumsuch.

Um, yes.

Sorry, guess I out thought myself. I know folks have taken them. I guess I was asking for general opinions of those courses and if any of them should be revamped.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

shorning

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on June 17, 2007, 10:02:11 PM
...and if any of them should be revamped.

Absolutely.  With the production cycle of those materials, they are outdated by the time they hit the streets.

acarlson

...only one month away from completing Level 3 as a lowly 2d Lt. 

Congratulations BIG TIME Lt. Sherrod!   Excellent work!

I share your excitement!  I too find it important and enjoyable to get all of the training and education available to me... and what better Leadership training can you get for the price?

Quote from: Camas on June 15, 2007, 05:35:18 PM

... 2d Lt" as you put it and are only one month away from getting your Level III you've earned my respect bigtime.  You should know that only about 350 Loening Awards are presented each year.  Generally, only about 20% of CAP members earn this very prestigious award.  Plus you're not only serving in a very key position as deputy commander of cadets but you're also setting a great example for others....

actually that 350 is a representation of 1% of SM each year ...

about .05% earn the Lev. 4
and .02% earn Lev 5...

My crew saw no reason for the SM program training...  they're mostly pilots ... and ex military of one form or another ...

Once I got my Sqdn Commander's support (a mission pilot too)... and we both completed Lev 2 and then Lev 3, 5 months after that... lead by example and share your excitement... 

... the AFIADL (ECI) 13 was a huge roadblock... until they went to online enrollments... they the doors opened!   the light shined.. okok... not that sudden...

actually after that we hosted the SLS in our Group area... so no one needed to stay overnight away from home... and we had 7 attend from our squadron alone.. 5 of those the previously mentioned  pilots!  wow

I greet and focus on the PD program as soon as new members join our squadron... and it's SOP to them.   ( We're using the Great Start program. )

I have about 12 currently enrolled in AFIADL 13 ... both new and long-term members...

For the group: I'm focused on visiting each squadron... meeting the CC and DCS, PDO, and SMs... getting to know them... and them, me....   get them excited about PD training... busting thru the roadblocks, with a whole lotta followup.. (that's mostly follow-up with the paperwork... that's the stuff that makes for great levels of frustration...  My job as PDO, as I see it, is to make the forms, paperwork, and followup happen... so that the pilots can be the best CAP pilots they can be... and not the best, most frustrated SMs doing PD forms!

I've also found a number of SM have the quals, but the paperwork just never was submitted (or received) for their Level Award... and/or grade promotion.  gravy!   and most happy SMs! 

AND ... get those happy SMs names in the forefront!  ... squadron, group, wing, region newsletters... Volunteer magazine... and CAP news online... then take those clippings and post them up in the squadron meeting room...  post color copies of their certificates, framed, on the walls... with pictures ...promote shamelessly!   we all like to be congratulated... AND seeing is believing... other SMs see the progress, and get to thinking...then they're asking questions... then they're making decisions... then they're submitting their CAPF 17 for the next SLS!!!

increase Professional Development training in the units, and we get more Professionally Developed members!   

and I've heard it here before... we're not just volunteers... we're Officers! 

Annette Carlson, 1Lt CAP
PDO, PAO, Pers, & Historian
Doylestown Composite Squadron 907
Doylestown PA

ZigZag911

Lt Carlson -- what you're doing is exactly what I've been talking about...well done!

One person taking a proactive approach -- and leading by example -- does get results.

IceNine

Second line of thought:
Has anyone ever known any Cadet Officers that have made use of AFIADL courses? They ARE eligible.

First Cadets are eligible AFTER they complete their Mitchell Award

And yes I have known cadets to used the courses available (I was one of them), most of the time however it is only for shiny things (ES Course for the ES Badge), and occasionally AFIADL 13 will be used by cadets to fulfill the RCLS/AFIADL 13 requirement, however rare it may be.  A lot of the problem if you ask me is lack of promoting the availability of such courses.  If cadets were sent the AFIADL Course guide with their Officer packet and a letter explaining what they are allowed to take I think they would jump on the opportunity.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Hawk200

Quote from: J.Hendricks on June 18, 2007, 05:57:58 AM
And yes I have known cadets to used the courses available (I was one of them), most of the time however it is only for shiny things (ES Course for the ES Badge), and occasionally AFIADL 13 will be used by cadets to fulfill the RCLS/AFIADL 13 requirement, however rare it may be.  A lot of the problem if you ask me is lack of promoting the availability of such courses.  If cadets were sent the AFIADL Course guide with their Officer packet and a letter explaining what they are allowed to take I think they would jump on the opportunity.

I would have to check with some people in the know, but it may be possible that cadets taking some of the AFIADL course could possibly recieve credit if they join the Air Force. It's only supposition, but it never hurts to try. Having the knowledge is always handy even if they don't.

davedove

I am only one month away from completing Level 3 as a lowly 2d Lt. 

Great job!!  I am also only a lowly 2d Lt, but I have completed my Level 2 and should get my Level 3 before I am promoted, provided I can get CLC.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Capt M. Sherrod

Thank you, all for your comments.  It has definitely been a help.

I believe that I will be adding Assistant PDO officer to the stack of hats that I am presently wearing.  I also truly believe that our squadron will only get better by pulling / leading our members through this training.  While some of it may be archaic and 20 years dated <cough> AFIADL 13 </cough> it is still a decent start down the right road.  Leadership is both taught and caught.  Someone can be completely book smart but not be able to get themselves out of a paperbag.  And others may be completely charismatic and have flocks of people follow them but are doomed to make the mistakes of the past because they haven't learned the history.  We need to be able to balance both and utilize the training that is available to us to its maximum.

Are there any courses out there that you would recommend from the catalog that are not specifically CAP related?  I've looked through, however, most appear to be specialized training for things that I am not even close to qualified for (EMT, PAO, etc.)   Your thoughts are always greatly appreciated.

Dragoon

I'm not aware of too many courses out there, but there are certain skills that are worth training seniors in.  You just have to find the right instructor.

For example, how many of your senior members

1.  Actually know how to inspect a van using the checklist and correctly annotate it on the paperwork?

2. Prepare the initial paperwork and notification following an accident?

3.  Prepare a military memo or letter?

4.  Initiate a request for an award?

5.  Or for that matter, know what awards they can earn, and what the criteria are?

6.  Prepare a 5 paragraph operations order for an activity?

7.  Correctly sign for an account for issued property?

8.  Know how to file for reimbursement using a CAPF 108?

etc. etc.  If you check with your staff (and higher staff) there's actually quite a few things you can train seniors on outside of ES and traditional PD.  All of which will make them better squadron members.

Hawk200

Quote from: Dragoon on June 18, 2007, 03:10:00 PM

5 para ops order? Sounds similar to an Army FRAGO. That the way y'all are doing it?

Don't even know how to do that myself. Probably should since I'm working on the ES side more this time around.

Dragoon

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 18, 2007, 04:55:12 PM
Quote from: Dragoon on June 18, 2007, 03:10:00 PM

5 para ops order? Sounds similar to an Army FRAGO. That the way y'all are doing it?

Don't even know how to do that myself. Probably should since I'm working on the ES side more this time around.

Joint Doctrine now specifies 5 para OPORDs and OPLANS.  So USAF is slowly coming around to the Army way of doing this stuff.

It works really well for CAP ops.